• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Boss World Cups

Status
Not open for further replies.
The point is, there's been loads of Wrestlemanias and loads of World Cups and fans of each rate them in order of preference. Wrestlemania 14 is comparable to England '66 as they are both around the middle in their respective Panthenons

Get with it FLH!

haha sorry mate, I know more about stamp collecting than I do Wrestling, so that fact sailed right over my head fella.

Born in '93 so I don't remember too many.

I always love looking back on 2002, I liked the Japan/South Korea setting, and I'll never forget getting off lessons in school to watch the games in the school hall as a 9 year old obsessed by football it couldn't get much better. I also went to that England v Greece game were Beckham scored the free kick to get us to the World Cup.
Brazil were pretty good, Ronaldo's fringe still makes me cringe, etc.

2010 was alright I thought. England as always being hyped up to win, and seeing them get absolutely torn apart by Germany.

1998 was probably the best one I remember, but 2002 brings back great memories.

France 98.

Zidane, The BBC's awesome intro, Fat Ronaldo's breakdown, me winning the family sweepstake of first mention of 1966 during the final with 0-5 minutes, Marcelo Salas and Ivan Zamarano being boss for Chile, Taribo West and and his green beaded dreadlocks,Laurent Blanc kissing Bathez's head for luck.

What was your favourite World Cup and why?

That is one of the most Scottish things I have ever heard of.

Whichever ones you were a kid for. Which was 1982 and 1986 for me. 1982 I can't really remember as I was dead young, but '86 was full of Everton players being ace. And there was Negrete. And Josimar. And [Poor language removed] Maradona. 2002 was kinda cool as well though, just because of the times the games were on at and them allowing the pubs to be open for them, and me not working at the time.

Those hot latinas that you just know you could buy for a dollar eh Jamo?

I'd probably need to pay extra.

Still have fond memories of Argentina 78 coz it was my first. But 82 and 86 probably had the best collection of boss foot ballers in one place.

Platini
Rossi
Socrates
Falcao
Zico
Maradona
Rummenigge
Laudrup
Preben Elkjaer
Josimar
Tardelli
Conti
Girresse
Tigana
Junior
Rochteau
Zoff
Belanov
Toninho Cerezo
Boniek
Litbarski
Schiffo
Steven
Stevens
Reid
Lineker
Bracewell

78 had one of my personal favourite goals of all time. This guy scored against us in Rotterdam ffs[video=youtube;N-hpafbbkrc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-hpafbbkrc[/video]

2002. USA beat Portugal and Mexico. The emergence of a 20 year old Landon Donovan. We outplayed Germany in the Quarterfinal and only lost because of a Torsten Frings handball on the line.

But mostly, we beat Mexico.

Honorable mention: 1990. Because it is the first World Cup I can remember and I watched a lot of it with my dad. I still have the final recorded on an old VHS.

Honourable mention to Italia 90..
But take away Pavarotti and it was a bit average..

It was great, by far the snidest World Cup ever and Cameroon - Argentina is a game that will never and should never be forgotten by anyone who was lucky enough to watch it. The foul before the goal that Omam Biyik scores, the scenes afterwards, and lets not forget probably the greatest sending off of all time as well.

[video=youtube;ldss7IDQhQ0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldss7IDQhQ0[/video]

And we lost him cos of it. Same as we did with Rooney.

Everton players doing well in international tournaments is more trouble than it's worth.

Yeah, its a Catch 22 isn't it? Its great seeing our players being rewarded for their performances in our shirt but then you've got the worries about how they will get on in the internationals, such as possible injury or a bad performance affecting their club form.

On the other hand, the better they do, the more chances that they could leave.

Its almost like preferring if our players didn't get their international call-up but thats a bit unfair!

---–---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For me, Italia '90 was the best. It just felt right, like a proper tournament should. There was Cameroon and Milla, Higuita making a **** of himself against the afore-mentioned, Schillaci coming from nowhere to land the golden boot, Ireland beating Romania on penalties, England's journey, Czechoslovakia hammering the USA, Yugoslavia's last big tournament, the tension between Voller and Rijkaard (ending sadly in Rijkaard's disgusting behaviour), Lothar Mattheus' brilliant goal in Germany's thrashing of Yugoslavia, the wonderful late, balmy nights combined with the games in Italy, the beautiful 'Nessum Dorma' by sung by Pavarotti becoming the official and unofficial anthem of the tournament (when was the last time a classical song was that embraced by everyone?), even the Olivetti screen graphics, are all etched in my memory.

Last edited:
It was great, by far the snidest World Cup ever and Cameroon - Argentina is a game that will never and should never be forgotten by anyone who was lucky enough to watch it. The foul before the goal that Omam Biyik scores, the scenes afterwards, and lets not forget probably the greatest sending off of all time as well.

[video=youtube;ldss7IDQhQ0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldss7IDQhQ0[/video]

Argentina were the ultimate panto villains in that World Cup!

94 was pretty good....the Nigeria team, Amokachi's boss goals, Maradonna playing like a man on coke (because he was), Ray Houghton scoring against Italy, Jack Charlton and John (Tw@t) Aldridge arguing with the 4th official, Hagi and Stoichkov being amazing, Saudi Arabia, Letchkov, and Baggio ballooning the penalty.

[video=youtube;Ru6n-o3Cx_4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ru6n-o3Cx_4[/video]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back