Boxing

I enjoyed it, thought it was evenly matched through 6 rounds then Usyk found another level and thoroughly deserved the win.
I thought it was an excellent fight. After 6 I thought fury couldn’t lose with the way he was moving combined with his size. The character and know how Usyk then showed was incredible. Doffed cap for both men, I’d rather be at home paying my £24.99 than in that ring

I was a few beers in but I don't remember Fury going down, knee/body on the floor for the ref to jump in and give him a count. It certainly gave Fury time to recover but if the ref let the moment conclude Fury would have been KO'd. If he thought Fury could not defend himself he should have stopped it. That said, I'm glad it continued as it was a cracking match up.

Usyk out worked fury, pressure cooker stuff, conditioning has always been a factor for fury being as big, heavy and slow as he is. Usyk kept at him and wore him down, had to eat a fair share of power right hands for the privilege - you can tell the fury camp had studied the two Joshua bouts (make Usyk pay for jumping into the pocket with a big right uppercut already on its way) - the standing count where fury was defenceless was probably just about right because he was doubled over on the ropes, his size being the factor here. All told, the better work, the better shots and the damage done all stack up in Usyk's favour. It is 2024, he won Olympic gold in London in 2012. The man is phenomenal, take no seconds thoughts. Lewis would have jabbed him into eternity. But that's a comment on this era and how great Lewis was.
Usyk was 37 in mid January this year, and hasn't had the kind of career where he's taken a sound battering over a sustained period. He probably has a bit more left and has certainly earned the right for a few big paydays against some select opponents.

Undercard was good last night, as was the scheduling - bring bouts on without the huge delays. A couple of Saturday nights a year like that would do fine.

Please Usyk won, more pleased fury lost. And eddie hearn is a total cock!

Comment from Usyk," it's my work and I do it for pay, and when it's over I'd just as soon be on my way"
“Up to some paradise, Where the trout stream flows and the air is nice .”

I haven’t watched a bocxing bout for years, but I really enjoyed that. I’m not technical enough to judge that, it was so close , so happy with the result , it could have gone either way but Usyk edged the final rounds.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back