Match Thread Brighton v Everton - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Watched the highlights on youtube, a great goal by Gray and what a pass from Allan. Have to say cannot recall Carlo havbingh us play like this.
We played better football than this for the first 10 games of last season... If he can sustain this instead of retreating into negative football like all our previous managers have then he will be a winner!

So no praise is allowed unless we win most of our first ten games
Yes praise is allowed. But so is pointing out that the club has a habit of allowing the squad to return to god awful rubbish football (See Martinez, Silva, Ancelotti). The true test of Benitez (as it was of Ancelotti) is whether he can break that cycle. Thats not a controversial notion.

We played better football than this for the first 10 games of last season... If he can sustain this instead of retreating into negative football like all our previous managers have then he will be a winner!
Last year's was probably unsustainable because we were playing possession based attacking football with exactly one player in the side suited to that.

This year we're playing extremely direct and the natural athleticism that many in the team have to make it work. Adding Diaz would only enhance this. So it might, might stick.

We do have areas to improve because for example we won't be getting a penalty every week, but there is reason to think we could still be better from open play. We've got in a lot of decent positions and made bad decisions. That's something we can sort.

Yes praise is allowed. But so is pointing out that the club has a habit of allowing the squad to return to god awful rubbish football (See Martinez, Silva, Ancelotti). The true test of Benitez (as it was of Ancelotti) is whether he can break that cycle. Thats not a controversial notion.
OK so am I allowed to start cheering if we win our 11th game and onwards? Does anything that comes before that get put in the bin because other managers have done well at the start of the season?
I reckon we start dissing the manager after the tenth game if we start to lose.

Me personally am just happy so far that 2 wins out of 3 (with two away games) is very pleasing and good enough for me to be happy and praise the manager and team

Last year's was probably unsustainable because we were playing possession based attacking football with exactly one player in the side suited to that.

This year we're playing extremely direct and the natural athleticism that many in the team have to make it work. Adding Diaz would only enhance this. So it might, might stick.

We do have areas to improve because for example we won't be getting a penalty every week, but there is reason to think we could still be better from open play. We've got in a lot of decent positions and made bad decisions. That's something we can sort.
I think we played better attacking football at the start of last season but a major difference with this team for me is that we look alot more solid, we are the ball back higher up the pitch and wont be bullied out of games if we keep this effort and the manager is definitely more vocal. With some additions I think we will be more competitive.

OK so am I allowed to start cheering if we win our 11th game and onwards? Does anything that comes before that get put in the bin because other managers have done well at the start of the season?
I reckon we start dissing the manager after the tenth game if we start to lose.

Me personally am just happy so far that 2 wins out of 3 (with two away games) is very pleasing and good enough for me to be happy and praise the manager and team

Ok then feel free to declare him a success after 3 games against teams who will finish in the bottom half. Lord knows it seems to upset you to want to see how the manager will do over a longer period of time. Ancelotti must have been the greatest manager of all time for stringing together a run of 10 games by your judgement, lets just ignore how crap the rest of his management of this club was when judging him.

Also where did I criticise the manager or the team? Personally I think Benitez will be a great manager for us and always have. Thought the same about Carlo too especially when we were second on boxing day. Everton have a habit of chewing managers out though.

Ok then feel free to declare him a success after 3 games against teams who will finish in the bottom half. Lord knows it seems to upset you to want to see how the manager will do over a longer period of time. Ancelotti must have been the greatest manager of all time for stringing together a run of 10 games by your judgement, lets just ignore how crap the rest of his management of this club was when judging him.

Also where did I criticise the manager or the team? Personally I think Benitez will be a great manager for us and always have. Thought the same about Carlo too especially when we were second on boxing day. Everton have a habit of chewing managers out though.
No mate I just celebrate each victory or deserved point as they come. So far I am happy so I will not attempt to dilute what has occurred so far. 7 points out of 9 is a decent start regardless of the opposition. Just celebrate our victories when they come and then criticise when we lose. All we can do is take 1 game at a time and so far so good so no need to dilute the goodness

I think that this is the most positive I've seen you in two years. UTFT.
I always give credit where it’s due...what’s the expression?...bouquets-and-brickbats.
If there has been a preponderance of the latter over the former, it’s because Everton has been underwhelming (putting it kindly!). But today is a bouquet day....we look SO much better than last season.

Great result. Good start to the season.
Gray looks a steal, early days I know.
Team looks fit which should be a given but we have lacked it in past seasons.
However a win can't overshadow how thinbare the squad is. They will have to pull out a few more 1.5million gems.

Status
Not open for further replies.