Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Bryan Oviedo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disagree Dave - at this level you have the mental strength to put such things out of your mind and carry on. It's similar to F1 drivers who after seeing someone crash and get injured - you don't see their lap times slow after a crash, why should it be any different for top class professional footballers.

If anything it will spur them on - "let's do it for Bryan" mentality.

If it was me, and I was a player with no connection to the club other than as a player signed, I'd be making the calculation about priorities. As I said, if our players were realistically competing for trophies as the top club's players are (City, Chelsea, Arsenal), then I'd still be prepared to put everything on the line. If, again realistically, your major objective is to play in the World Cup then I'd be thinking long and hard about picking up the type of shocking injury I'd just seen destroy a teammate's exact same ambition. Consciously or otherwise, I think our players are going to be susceptible to that line of thought now.

It's a massive test for Martinez to get 100% out of this squad now.

Disagree Dave - at this level you have the mental strength to put such things out of your mind and carry on. It's similar to F1 drivers who after seeing someone crash and get injured - you don't see their lap times slow after a crash, why should it be any different for top class professional footballers.

If anything it will spur them on - "let's do it for Bryan" mentality.

I'd like to think it will rally them together and make them that extra 0.5% determined to do something great this season.

If it was me, and I was a player with no connection to the club other than as a player signed, I'd be making the calculation about priorities. As I said, if our players were realistically competing for trophies as the top club's players are (City, Chelsea, Arsenal), then I'd still be prepared to put everything on the line. If, again realistically, your major objective is to play in the World Cup then I'd be thinking long and hard about picking up the type of shocking injury I'd just seen destroy a teammate's exact same ambition. Consciously or otherwise, I think our players are going to be susceptible to that line of thought now.

Indeed.
We saw Arsenal's PL challenge disintegrate a few years back when Eduardo got a bad injury. It hit the players psychologically.

However I have to say that our reaction to the injury was superb, and we carried on playing our A-game. As I said, I think it has the potential to make us stronger.

It's hard to imagine, but when you're a professional, and love the sport that you've been playing all your life I don't think those thoughts really plague your mind. The same way boxers, MMA fighters, etc don't really seem to be affected or put off by injuries or attacks that may kill them.

Although in saying that, remember Eduardo's leg break? I'm pretty sure the Arse were 2-0 up against 10 men Birmingham at half time when that happened and it finished a draw. Then Gallas threw that hissy fit on the pitch. Maybe seeing it infront of your eyes can have a negative effect.

Absolutely gutted for Bryan, finally breaking into and earning his stripes in the team and this happens, he must be devastated. The reaction of his team mates, especially Jags and Stones makes me prouder than ever to be an Evertonian, rather than the classless, tacky lot over the park. I also agree that we are a different team now to when Moyes was at the helm, feel more involved and like we are a member of a family. Get Well Soon Oviedo Baby, miss you already!!!

I disagree, the players will go out there and play to win, I think as usual Dave is being overly pessimistic but that is his way as no doubt many have judged from his posts. Our players will think about yesterday but they are not going to allow themselves to be run over.

If you think like Dave then every two years players will think more of the World Cup or the Euro/African championship, then of course there is the Asian championship, you are wrong Dave.

The FA Cup two games two bad injuries - Barkley and even more serious Oviedo for what if you win it a run in the disastrous Europa league - look at Newcastle last year and look at Swansea this year its too many games with unfair rules as an ex champions league drop out of the group treams win it most years it needs scrapping and the cup winners cup replacing!

The FA Cup two games two bad injuries - Barkley and even more serious Oviedo for what if you win it a run in the disastrous Europa league - look at Newcastle last year and look at Swansea this year its too many games with unfair rules as an ex champions league drop out of the group treams win it most years it needs scrapping and the cup winners cup replacing!

I tought onle league cup gave europe league?

Really gutted for Oviedo. Does anyone got an idea how long does it take to recover from that type of injuries? A friend of mine told 6 month, in a best case scenario, just to get fit and then a couple of month to overcome the mental hurdles.

Just hope he can make full recovery and that he is ready to play next season.

it depends upon the nature of the break. If both bones have been clean broken (rthey were obviously displaced) then a pin/plate could see him on his feet again very very soon (look at the breaks motoGP riders have then are back riding incredibly quickly). However, if the bone has shattered or broken into a few pieces then it could be much much longer

My break took about a year to sort out, and then my ankle had lost a great deal of flexibility. But my leg wasn’t pinned - just reset, and I think that takes longer. I may be totally wrong on this but if they pin it then he can’t start putting weight on it a lot sooner. He’ll get great care, and he’s already incredibly fit. He’ll be on the bench for the final!!! (next year)

Its tragic, he waited a long time for his chance, worked hard to make it happen, seized it with both hands, then has it snatched away from him through no fault of his own just a few games later.

Gutted for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back