Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've become so used to blaming the manager, but this isn't Marco Silva. He's not without criticism, but his credentials should afford him less cry arsing.

"One of the most successful managers in world football, having won 20 trophies including league titles in four different countries and the Champions League three times – and he’s Everton’s manager. Genuine Nil Satis Nisi Optimum"

I think;

1. Vs the quality in this team, we're exceeding expectations.
2. We can get better, and we will.
3. Let's have some patience.

Im in no doubt Carlo will turn us around. It just depends on the pace of it. A ruthless summer and we could have a proper run at a decent season next year. If it’s only one or two rotated out in the summer and we pick up injuries to our best plyers again then we’re probably looking at another season wasted. I can’t give another name though of anyone that could definitely do a better job in the circumstances.

We've become so used to blaming the manager, but this isn't Marco Silva. He's not without criticism, but his credentials should afford him less cry arsing.

"One of the most successful managers in world football, having won 20 trophies including league titles in four different countries and the Champions League three times – and he’s Everton’s manager. Genuine Nil Satis Nisi Optimum"

I think;

I completely agree that we need to have patience and that we have quite rightly invested trust in Carlo.
However ask yourself this ( in answer to point 1 above ) ....did we have better quality players on the pitch than Burnley ? Surely the answer is yes .
And V Fulham and Newcastle ?

Spurs have a much better squad than ours and have had all their top players available for most of the season, certainly their most creative players. They also have creativity available from both flanks if/when they need to utilise.

I really don’t understand how people can’t comprehend just how big a problem injuries have been for us this season. It’s little coincidence that all of the exciting football we played earlier on in the season came to an abrupt end the moment we lost the likes of Coleman, Allan, James & Digne. The core of our team and what gives us balance. None of them players have played in the same side together since the derby In October, let that sink in.

How many other teams have had to use centre half’s as full backs most of the season? Or use back up players that we know just aren’t good enough?

If Carlo had decent players at his disposal all signed by him and the players were not putting in the level of performance we expect then it would be very hard not to criticise him.

I honestly don’t know what more he’s supposed to do with this current squad. It’s like some people just have short memories from seasons gone by with some of the crap we have had to deal with with them. Like they expect him to have Gomes pressing constantly for 90 minutes making defence splitting passes to our wingers/front men or players Alex Iwobi turning into some Ronaldo-esque winger who works his arse off.

Reality is our squad in general after the first 10 (I say 10 because we don’t have a right winger) is really really poor.
Finally, some sense

He can put all his better players out and tell themm
I am happy to accept that, but it’s still on the manager to get that out of the team.

I don’t see why it has to be one fault or the other?
I’ll take Burnley as the example

1. the system was wrong, it’s crap, and needs flying full-backs and a physical midfield. We had neither
2. To beat Burnley, you need to stretch their sluggish defence, that means runs in behind, getting it forward quickly. Not playing a cramped system. You need width and pace
3. Davies has done well as a 6, but we know he’s next to hopeless playing anywhere else. We want Allan in there, and Allan wants to press. Surely, play them in the positions they are naturally better at?
4. Of the outfield players that started the game, how many would you say actually NEED to go? We’ve got a centre-back playing full-back and he’s useless going forward but defensively he’s been by and large sound, are you wanting rid of Holgate? We’ve seen a huge improvement in Davies but yes, he’s probably not first XI of all are fit. But he’s gonna be here as a squad player. Out of the 10 outfield players, I’d say there’s two that NEED replacing - Iwobi and Gomes. The rest are either new, or have been our better performers this season. So surely, you can’t just say that the players are crap and it’s all on them when there’s no chance that we’d be happy or at least 6/7 of those outfield players left

All good having width and pace when you’ve got it. We’ve got two fast players in our team and both are strikers. We don’t have any wingers to give us pace. The only side in the PL without any right side. Holgate as a wing back says it all. Again we don’t have the players capable of playing quick balls early, hence why when teams like Fulham and Newcastle come here and completely press us into submission we have no response.

Look at his options mate and look at the calibre of players we have and the skills they offer us. There’s your answer.
I’ve just said to Tim.

of the 10 outfield players that started the other day, there’s two - I’d say - that we’d want to sell if we could.

The rest of them will all be here next season, hopefully Holgate won’t be playing at right-back

Rich, Dom - they’re quality forwards

Allan - people in here were saying he was the best holding player in the league (he’s not like), but he’s been good this season when fit and is a new signing

Godfrey/Keane - both here to stay, one a new signing, the other one of our best players this year

Digne - ‘best left-back in the league’

Davies - come on leaps and bounds this season playing as a six. Pretty sure he’ll be here next year

So, Iwobi and Gomes, we know we need better. We need better than Holgate at right-back, doesn’t mean Holgate’s not gonna have his place in the squad next season

If we're going off results and position wise, Ancelotti has done a fantastic job with this squad, Way better than I imagined.
If we're talking about our style of football, It's absolute horse muck and one of the worst in the league in most metrics.

I think;

I agree with the principle. He can't be sacked really, so he's here for the long term anyway. I haven't really seen anyone saying he's doing a properly bad job to be fair, but I've said before, you won't win hearts playing this way so you you have to win points, or people really won't like it. At the moment we aren't, so they don't. I can live with us being outplayed every week if we keep nicking enough wins to cling on to the top 6, but if we keep playing like this and losing then i honestly think i'll have had enough. It's horrible to watch, and if it turns out not even to be effective then what will have been the point. I feel like Silva, Martinez etc could have made us better if they were able to sign an entirely new team, so seeing as I didn't use that excuse for them I won't use it for Ancelotti. He's doing fine at the moment, this last 10 games will decide whether I think the first 18 months of his reign has gone well or not.

EDIT - When i say had enough, I mean of Everton, not that we should sack Ancelotti

Last edited:
I am happy to accept that, but it’s still on the manager to get that out of the team.

I don’t see why it has to be one fault or the other?
I’ll take Burnley as the example

1. the system was wrong, it’s crap, and needs flying full-backs and a physical midfield. We had neither
2. To beat Burnley, you need to stretch their sluggish defence, that means runs in behind, getting it forward quickly. Not playing a cramped system. You need width and pace
3. Davies has done well as a 6, but we know he’s next to hopeless playing anywhere else. We want Allan in there, and Allan wants to press. Surely, play them in the positions they are naturally better at?
4. Of the outfield players that started the game, how many would you say actually NEED to go? We’ve got a centre-back playing full-back and he’s useless going forward but defensively he’s been by and large sound, are you wanting rid of Holgate? We’ve seen a huge improvement in Davies but yes, he’s probably not first XI of all are fit. But he’s gonna be here as a squad player. Out of the 10 outfield players, I’d say there’s two that NEED replacing - Iwobi and Gomes. The rest are either new, or have been our better performers this season. So surely, you can’t just say that the players are crap and it’s all on them when there’s no chance that we’d be happy or at least 6/7 of those outfield players left

I just don't see systems as our main problem. The best tactics in the world come unstuck when various players can't tackle and refuse to track runners. The amount of times their players had space at the edge of our box was very worrying. Who was tracking the run? Absolutely no one. The biggest culprit is Gomes who rarely tracks runners.

Of our first 11 we need to improve on Holgate, Iwobi, Gomes and can also upgrade Allan and Davies. I personally though Allan had a really bad game for us with a lack of positional discipline. It doesn't matter what your instincts are, you have to help the team and he didn't.

In terms of Holgate, my opinion is pretty clear. He is ok for squad depth as maybe a 4th or 5th CB and a second or third RB, but I don't think we can afford to have to play him regularly. He lacks ability on the ball and makes various errors through lapses of concentration. I wouldn't be against selling him at this stage.

But in short, my feeling is our problems are mentality ones, not tactical. We don't compete on the pitch and we lack desire to dig deep and outrun and outfight opponents. That's why Carlo is right to go very pragmatic and defensive. How can we possibly play expansive football with midfielders who don't track runners? We are a dream to play against if you are even half good on the transition.

I completely agree that we need to have patience and that we have quite rightly invested trust in Carlo.
However ask yourself this ( in answer to point 1 above ) ....did we have better quality players on the pitch than Burnley ? Surely the answer is yes .

Bigger picture though mate, which I've just shared elsewhere;

2017/18: 8th. 49 points. 26 points from 4th.
2018/19: 8th. 54 points. 17 points from 4th.
2019/20: 12th. 49 points. 17 points from 4th.

Now, let's look at 2020/21.

With 10 games remaining;

2020/21: 6th. 46 points. 5 points (+game in hand) from 4th.

Then, go and compare our win rate since Ancelotti took over vs the years before it,

Home defeats have been a kick in the balls but before the season started, we'd all be delighted with the table as it is + win at Anfield.

I don't think the players in this team are the 6th best in the league. Spurs, Liverpool, Arsenal all have better and we're currently above them.

He can put all his better players out and tell themm

All good having width and pace when you’ve got it. We’ve got two fast players in our team and both are strikers. We don’t have any wingers to give us pace. The only side in the PL without any right side. Holgate as a wing back says it all. Again we don’t have the players capable of playing quick balls early, hence why when teams like Fulham and Newcastle come here and completely press us into submission we have no response.
Yes, but ffs man, it’s the managers job to get a response

I’m not blaming him 100%. The majority of my frustration is with the state of the squad (recruitment) and the players themselves. But, Carlo hasn’t helped, in these games.

we have no attacking structure, we don’t create enough chances, and if we try to create chances, we get completely exposed at the back

it’s Sunday league level to have structures in place, mate. Ancelotti is doing brilliantly, but it’s right to criticise or all that happens is you become so entrenched that it can’t possibly be the manager’s fault that, when or if it does balls up (hopefully it doesn’t!) the pain is so much more - had it with Martinez and to an extent Koeman.

There’s no way we can keep separating things out all the time. I am fully aware we need better players. Know how we get them? We finish high up the table as poss. Know how we do that? We take more than 0 points from home games v Newcastle, Fulham, Burnley and, to a lesser extent, West Ham.

we were battered the other day, completely hammered. I don’t care about any style as long as there’s substance - but we have very little of that. Can be on the players - it is on the players - but that’s too much of a narrow view. The players are coached and managed, and so CA and his team take a portion of responsibility, just like brands has to shoulder his portion of it for buying a load Of slow players and deciding £28m on Iwobi was a good thing to do

I agree with the principle. He can't be sacked really, so he's here for the long term anyway. I haven't really seen anyone saying he's doing a properly bad job to be fair, but I've said before, you won't win hearts playing this way so you you have to win points, or people really won't like it. At the moment we aren't, so they don't. I can live with us being outplayed every week if we keep nicking enough wins to cling on to the top 6, but if we keep playing like this and losing then i honestly think i'll have had enough. It's horrible to watch, and if it turns out not even to be effective then what will have been the point. I feel like Silva, Martinez etc could have made us better if they were able to sign an entirely new team, so seeing as I didn't use that excuse for them I won't use it for Ancelotti. He's doing fine at the moment, this last 10 games will decide whether I think the first 18 months of his reign has gone well or not.

On that bold bit, there's been plenty - including a handful saying to sack him.

Madness.

I’ve just said to Tim.

of the 10 outfield players that started the other day, there’s two - I’d say - that we’d want to sell if we could.

The rest of them will all be here next season, hopefully Holgate won’t be playing at right-back

Rich, Dom - they’re quality forwards

Allan - people in here were saying he was the best holding player in the league (he’s not like), but he’s been good this season when fit and is a new signing

Godfrey/Keane - both here to stay, one a new signing, the other one of our best players this year

Digne - ‘best left-back in the league’

Davies - come on leaps and bounds this season playing as a six. Pretty sure he’ll be here next year

So, Iwobi and Gomes, we know we need better. We need better than Holgate at right-back, doesn’t mean Holgate’s not gonna have his place in the squad next season

Out of them players you’ve mentioned above using the Burnley game as an example how many of them possess the ability to get the ball forward a lot quicker or turn back against the wall defending into instantaneous attack? None. We haven’t been able to do that since our first opening games of the season when all of our better players were available and all fit and our football was great to watch and nobody complained, well some did over the goals we conceded.

we have no attacking structure, we don’t create enough chances, and if we try to create chances, we get completely exposed at the back

When all our better players were available and on point earlier in the season where you complaining about lack of chances and the set up? What do you think changed? Could it be the fact that we lost a lot of those players to injuries and have had to make do with the same flumps from last season mostly for 90% of this season?

This logic would dictate that we would never beat a team above us in the league ever. Say bye to those points we got from Spurs Liverpool Leicester Arsenal Chelsea United. Yes we have some better players than those teams you’ve mentioned but it gives us no divine right to beat them, just as those other teams with better players than us didn’t beat us. We can’t have it both ways, a group of players that dismantles the poor teams at home all the time but also wins against the top teams against the odds every time. It’s a group struggling for consistency which means some weeks we’ll win at Anfield and then other times we’ll lose to Fulham. If it was the alternative we’d be in the West Ham/Spurs scenario of dispatching the lesser teams but never showing up against the big boys, and Evertonians moaned about this for years so I’m not sure anyone wants to go back to that either. The only solution is to keep improving the squad so that the inconsistency lessens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back