Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Carlo is adaptable, that's why i can handle this at the moment, as much as I hate it, at least I know he will change as personnel become available.

COYB The Don will lead us back(blind faith here)

The minute we play attacking our inept midfield is exposed. Today in the first half it was so bad you'd think we were down to about 9 men.

Until this squad is overhauled these players will let us down. They are unreliable and lots of them are hugely overrated by us as fans.
This
We have 5 maybe 6 top 4 players .the rest are mid table or below
Holgate ,Keane, Iwobi ,Gomes Davies and others do not get anywhere near a top 4 squad never mind a starting 11

There’s definitely something in this. Fans of other teams aren’t looking at the likes of gylfi, Bernard, iwobi etc and thinking we’ve got no squad depth. There’s a tendency to move the goalposts when talking about other teams depth too. Usually the same people who complain about the plucky old Everton tag and bemoan our mentality are the first to talk down any expectation and point out how rubbish all our multimillion pound signings are.

Other fans can think what they like about our current squad depth. Ultimately it’s what we know and how those players perform weekly for us and what they offer that matters and Sigurdsson aside this season those players you’ve mentioned above have contributed very little this season and previous season.

Also I don’t see Tottenham having to throw two keepers on the bench and a lot of U23 fullbacks.

This is true.

But, we should still be picking up more than 4 points from 21 at home, or more than 0 points from home games v Fulham, Burnley, Newcastle and West Ham.

Do you think he sets us up to lose these games? Or is it a case of players not doing enough? What can he do to make us win the games?

Other fans can think what they like about our current squad depth. Ultimately it’s what we know and how those players perform weekly for us and what they offer that matters and Sigurdsson aside this season those players you’ve mentioned above have contributed very little this season and previous season.

Also I don’t see Tottenham having to throw two keepers on the bench and a lot of U23 fullbacks.
Well what I meant was that - SHOCK HORROR - we're not the only fans who don't rate some of our own players. You get a lot of people comparing our squad to others and making out like there's no comparison. There's one just above yours, as if Michael Keane is somehow so much worse than Jonny Evans and Victor Lindelof etc. If other fans opinions of our players are irrelevant, then our opinions of theirs are too, so maybe we should all stop comparing?

Do you think he sets us up to lose these games? Or is it a case of players not doing enough? What can he do to make us win the games?
Of course he doesn’t set up to lose those games but Silva didn’t set up to lose games either, did he.
It’s clearly a combination of factors, from the squad (recruitment) not having been good/balanced enough, to injuries (which expose poor recruitment) to lack of confidence etc

but his tactics/systems in at least 3 of those games have been really poor. Fulham in the main was dismal, Burnley the other day it was clear how exposed we could be and by the time he changed it it was too late

we’ve not scored a second-half league goal at home in 11 games - since the first derby. We’ve been outshot in every single match for the last 18 running in the league. We’ve created the 5th-lowest amount of opportunities in the league.

It’s not just all on the players, unfortunately

I'll be gutted if any of Holgate, Gomes, Davies, Iwobi or Sigurdsson start more than 5 games next season. Surely Carlo knows these are the priorities to get out the door as soon as possible in the summer, alongside of course Tosun and no doubt Kean.
Siggy will be kept as back up to James
The rest of your list plus a few more can gladly go

Of course he doesn’t set up to lose those games but Silva didn’t set up to lose games either, did he.
It’s clearly a combination of factors, from the squad (recruitment) not having been good/balanced enough, to injuries (which expose poor recruitment) to lack of confidence etc

but his tactics/systems in at least 3 of those games have been really poor. Fulham in the main was dismal, Burnley the other day it was clear how exposed we could be and by the time he changed it it was too late

we’ve not scored a second-half league goal at home in 11 games - since the first derby. We’ve been outshot in every single match for the last 18 running in the league. We’ve created the 5th-lowest amount of opportunities in the league.

We’ve scored plenty of goals in the second half in away games. How do you think he sets us up any differently at home? I don’t see it. I honestly can’t say at home expect for one game that the teams he’s put out have not been good enough to beat the opposition. I can’t see how he’s tactically prevented us from getting points against those sides?

What I have seen is a depleted squad with bang average players who aren’t willing to or don’t have the ability to quickly close down, make the right runs or play with a bit more urgency and directness. That’s not on the manager. Especially when you’ve got him coming out telling us that the spirit just wasn’t there and that the opposition just wanted it more than us which is completely evident on what we watch.

This is true.

But, we should still be picking up more than 4 points from 21 at home, or more than 0 points from home games v Fulham, Burnley, Newcastle and West Ham.
Of course.
This is very concerning.
Which is why I was raising this at the end of last season too when we lost at home to Bournemouth and struggled in most of the other games too.

But then we beat Chelsea, Arsenal at home and win the away games we are not supposed to, it’s all a bit nuts really.

looking at that team though on Saturday, we can’t keep expecting any better than what we are seeing from the likes of Iwobi and Gomes who are the obvious 2 major flaws. It’s like playing with 9 men at times.

I blame them 99.9%.

The manager has shown he can give them belief to beat tough opponents and the manager has shown he can make us organised and tough to score against. The players clearly believe in the manager too. Unfortunately the manager cannot make them win their individual battles or be prepared to outrun opponents when the going gets tough. Our players don't want to go through adversity enough, and are happy to try and coast through matches. That doesn't work in this league.

Those stats are very damming. I’m sure I saw a stat about conversion rate being the highest in the league? Bar the opening games we’ve been really poor to watch at times this season, again not all on the manager or recruitment. Feels more like a perfect storm of dross. Chelsea highlighted (injuries aside) the lack of depth in that squad when you looked at their bench and who they brought on. If we want to be anywhere near that level there’s still a lot of work to do as the stats you’ve said highlight

If we don't get Europe, he's failed. He's said it himself.

He won't be sacked because of it, but him, Dunc, Davide, Brands, and the players, will have failed, because Europe is the target for this season.

If we don't get it, then we're going to have to sell someone, because we won't have the money to go on and build the squad.

In an ideal world, that's going to be Kean, Iwobi, Bernard etc - but they all are hopefully going to go anyway.

But in a realistic world, Richarlison and Dom are our major assets. The draw to keep them is Carlo, but financially, because of the impact of COVID, we need Europe. It really would be abysmal not to get it, especially given the chances we've had.

That's on Carlo, Brands and everyone involved.
Does anyone know what the FFP rules are for the next couple of years ?
Can Moshiri simply pay off the covid losses out of his own (or Usmanov's ) pocket and carry on as normal ?
I am sure UEFA will want clubs spending money to help less well off clubs survive
No point in French ,Spanish or Italian teams putting players up for sale if no one has the money (or allowed to spend it ) to buy them

Those stats are very damming. I’m sure I saw a stat about conversion rate being the highest in the league? Bar the opening games we’ve been really poor to watch at times this season, again not all on the manager or recruitment. Feels more like a perfect storm of dross. Chelsea highlighted (injuries aside) the lack of depth in that squad when you looked at their bench and who they brought on. If we want to be anywhere near that level there’s still a lot of work to do as the stats you’ve said highlight

Again that’s because bar the Liverpool game we haven’t had all our best players available for the same game.

We are pretty much back to where we were last season only worse because we don’t even have a right side anymore.

All very true and should be called out . I know we will be a much better team next season with few more Carlo's signings but il be very disappointed if Carlo doesn't sort the home form asap and we miss out on Europe. Getting out done tactical wise by the likes of Fulham, Newcastle and Burnley is not what id expect of a Carlo team. Its a worry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back