Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah it's that part I don't get. Was he just trying to be smart because of Iwobi's comments on Instagram or something?

On form, Iwobi should not have played. It's either Sigurdsson, or switch system and accommodate players most likely to get a result.

Iwobi is not and never has been a player most likely to get you a result - with his recent form and stupid comments he shouldn't have been near the teamsheet, and that performance proved it.
We've played ok in that diamond formation, Siggurdson was injured and Iwobi was lobbying to play there. It should have inspired Iwobi to run the game and put in a MOTM performance. Instead it signed his release papers for the summer.

The start of the season. Bang, 4 wins 12 points straight from the gun. 14 wins. Being in the grasp of a top4( i hate that modern day term) finish.
Its given people something and our games some meaning as opposed to the usual nothing after xmas or in some cases looking over our shoulder at the risk of being dragged into a scrap.
Reality. I dont really know how we are sitting 6th. Dragged out results in most of them with in my opinion an awful midfield. Got enough players to throw into the centre and scrap. But theres no pace. No width. No guile. And we also have alex iwobi.
Is he still polishing a turd? Pretty much. And when we have to show guile and attack the turd floats to the surface.
If we dont recruit well this summer its the same next season.
A right back and width is needed so badly.

Spurs have a much better squad than ours and have had all their top players available for most of the season, certainly their most creative players. They also have creativity available from both flanks if/when they need to utilise.

I really don’t understand how people can’t comprehend just how big a problem injuries have been for us this season. It’s little coincidence that all of the exciting football we played earlier on in the season came to an abrupt end the moment we lost the likes of Coleman, Allan, James & Digne. The core of our team and what gives us balance. None of them players have played in the same side together since the derby In October, let that sink in.

How many other teams have had to use centre half’s as full backs most of the season? Or use back up players that we know just aren’t good enough?

If Carlo had decent players at his disposal all signed by him and the players were not putting in the level of performance we expect then it would be very hard not to criticise him.

I honestly don’t know what more he’s supposed to do with this current squad. It’s like some people just have short memories from seasons gone by with some of the crap we have had to deal with with them. Like they expect him to have Gomes pressing constantly for 90 minutes making defence splitting passes to our wingers/front men or players Alex Iwobi turning into some Ronaldo-esque winger who works his arse off.

Reality is our squad in general after the first 10 (I say 10 because we don’t have a right winger) is really really poor.

That I agree is maybe 50% of the problem.. I decided to step out of debating this any more and have accepted this is our way this season. I have hope that a few upgrades will turn on the mental switch that we don't have to let the likes of Fulham dominate us for 90 minutes in the hope to nick it.

That I agree is maybe 50% of the problem.. I decided to step out of debating this any more and have accepted this is our way this season. I have hope that a few upgrades will turn on the mental switch that we don't have to let the likes of Fulham dominate us for 90 minutes in the hope to nick it.

I was one of the first to stupidly jump to criticising the manager a few months back following the Fulham defeat but having thought about it and considered what I posted above and put everything together its obvious the problems are mostly out of his control.

The way I accepted this was by asking myself if we had any other manager in charge with the same set of players and the same scenario with injuries would we have played any differently? Would the levels of performances from our back up players suddenly improve? Would the quality of those back up players suddenly improve? On previous seasons performances, I say absolutely not.

I was one of the first to stupidly jump to criticising the manager a few months back following the Fulham defeat but having thought about it and considered what I posted above and put everything together its obvious the problems are mostly out of his control.

The way I accepted this was by asking myself if we had any other manager in charge with the same set of players and the same scenario with injuries would we have played any differently? Would the levels of performances from our back up players suddenly improve? Would the quality of those back up players suddenly improve? On previous seasons performances, I say absolutely not.

Yeah I remember that clearly and noticed the change in view but wasn't sure why you had swung... Fulham was my "had enough" moment as well but it wasn't knee jerk. It was a concern from months that this wasn't sustainable and that I truly believed the team is better than we are giving them credit for.. wrote a long post trying to highlight how little our fans seem to think of full internationals ... but that aside..

My acceptance came after beating WBA.. that its about results.. the style is now secondary.. I'm on board with that and now accept we can and will lose to anyone owing to our inability to dominate a game.. But can also pull off some remarkable scalps .... I'll judge at the end of the season whether this works or not. For now the article resonated with me. Hopefully we'll have a chance to have 10/11 first choice players back before the end of the season and we can see what this side can do.

Yeah I remember that clearly and noticed the change in view but wasn't sure why you had swung... Fulham was my "had enough" moment as well but it wasn't knee jerk. It was a concern from months that this wasn't sustainable and that I truly believed the team is better than we are giving them credit for.. wrote a long post trying to highlight how little our fans seem to think of full internationals ... but that aside..

My acceptance came after beating WBA.. that its about results.. the style is now secondary.. I'm on board with that and now accept we can and will lose to anyone owing to our inability to dominate a game.. But can also pull off some remarkable scalps .... I'll judge at the end of the season whether this works or not. For now the article resonated with me. Hopefully we'll have a chance to have 10/11 first choice players back before the end of the season and we can see what this side can do.
There’s definitely something in this. Fans of other teams aren’t looking at the likes of gylfi, Bernard, iwobi etc and thinking we’ve got no squad depth. There’s a tendency to move the goalposts when talking about other teams depth too. Usually the same people who complain about the plucky old Everton tag and bemoan our mentality are the first to talk down any expectation and point out how rubbish all our multimillion pound signings are.

Godfrey, Digne, Keane/Mina, Allan, Doucoure, Richarlison and DCL are fine. 6 or 7 players who I don't mind staying at all. I'm not even counting James due to him being made of glass.

It's the likes of Iwobi/Bernard/Sigurdsson/Coleman/Holgate (RB)/arguably Pickford that need replacing.

So we don't need a wholesale renovation, but we do need a major one - £100m+ invested.

If Carlo doesn't get it, I'm sure he'll walk.
We spent 60m net last summer
If we can get 40m for Kean,15-20m for some of our dross .and the same 60m from Moshiri I would expect at least 4 players who are automatic first 11 to come in.
Still not enough but it will be a good start
Lot of wages off the books this summer as well
Bolasie, Besic, Walcott etc as well as the sales will reduce our wage bill considerably
Hopefully Europe will throw another 20m into the pot
Its about time Carlo threw a lot of these wasters under the bus

People need to decide if they want results or attacking football because with these players you can't have both.

We are effective when we park the bus. We are a shambles when we tweak the system to be aggressive. Carlo needs to stop pandering to those demanding free flowing football and stick to his instincts which are that these players are unreliable and things need to be very simple for them.
This

That's his preferred position

And he stunk as usual

Tbf, he didn't really.

The diamond just doesn't work for us but Iwobi was at least popping up in space.

However, it was leaving our defence and holding midfield so exposed. After 10 minutes of us having the ball, Burnley just knew to press the channels and cut the passing lanes. This is where the diamond falls down, because it relies on crisp passing and good movement - none of which we have.

The fault was playing the system in the first place, which was done to accommodate Iwobi central.

I think more importantly Managers of other teams are looking at Gylphi, Bernard and Iwobi, etc and thinking we've got no depth and quite easily working out how to wins games. Seven home league defeats is evidence of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back