Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve said all season 7th was par for me at the start of the season. The fact that certain teams who you would expect to finish above Us are having poor seasons means we’ve had a big opportunity to do a lot better than that but while I’d be disappointed if we don’t take it I couldn’t really complain. I don’t think ancelottis doing a bad job, I’m certainly not saying sack him or he’s under pressure or whatever, I’m just not sure he’s currently doing a particularly job either. We’re pretty much exactly where I expected us to be, only playing much worse football than I’d envisaged. The opportunity is still there to push on, and if we finish top 6 it’s a job well done. Currently I just can’t see is doing that, and I think we look seriously vulnerable to 2/3 teams below us based on how we’re playing. If that happens I’ll be saying this has been an awful season. Finishing 8th/9th playing this dull, passionless and uninspiring football would be a really really poor return.
Thin unbalanced squad and lots of injuries. Look at the impact it’s had on our beloved neighbours. Rodrigues is a massive miss, as is Doucoure (and so was Allan). Our squad is hallow because we are have had unshiftable players on huge salaries eating up wages. It’s only just unwinding And won’t truly finish until summer 22.

There's just such a laissez-faire attitude permeating through the club at every level, it's difficult to know what we should realistically expect from a manager.

As much as we'd like to believe that hiring Ancelotti was a vital step on a well-planned journey towards becoming Champions League regulars, I think it's far more likely to have been a rare success for a recruitment strategy that doesn't really go much deeper than getting in the highest-profile option out of whoever's available at any given time.

This is the only way that I can make sense out of the apparent lack of concern over a squad assembled at such an enormous cost having no cover at full-back, right-wing or centre forward. Even in the most recent window, a fourth left-winger was signed, despite it being acknowledged publicly that the only right-sider isn't going to play very much.

If Brands does leave in the summer, I'd love to hear him talk about the brief that he's been working to.

After the way we got our hopes up, it would be a proper kick in the teeth, and the season would be a failure if we don't qualify for europe. We beat Spurs away, finally get a win against that shower at anfield, get a good point at Old Trafford, and we beat Chelsea and an albeit declining Arsenal at Goodison.

But this team undoes all that, with this dreadful home record, where the likes of Leeds, the geordies, Fulham and now Burnley have all left Goodison victorious. Out of a possible 12 points from those fixtures, we got none. And that's why we have likely blown, a possible chance of finishing in the top four.

It just goes to show that this team is not able to deliver the goods, when they are expected to do so. It just doesn't have the consistency or mentality to perform week in week out. I still think Don Carlo is the man for the job, we just need to get some more higher standard players in the summer.

But as we know with Everton, this club has developed a nasty habbit of shooting itself in the foot, and blowing potential opportunities that are there to be availed of. Unfortunately Carlo has still not eradicated, this most unwelcome of habits.

Thin unbalanced squad and lots of injuries. Look at the impact it’s had on our beloved neighbours. Rodrigues is a massive miss, as is Doucoure (and so was Allan). Our squad is hallow because we are have had unshiftable players on huge salaries eating up wages. It’s only just unwinding And won’t truly finish until summer 22.
I understand all that. It doesn’t change my opinion. You cannot go out and spend a fortune on players aged 28-30 and finish 8th or 9th. You can’t play safety first, dull as dishwater football for 34 of your 38 games and finish 8th or 9th. You can’t not give opportunities to Gordon, nkounkou, branthwaite etc and finish 8th or 9th. We simply have to ‘achieve’ something this year otherwise it’s just been a complete waste of time and yet another failed recruitment policy.

Its interesting this - while Allan Doucoure & James are 100% very exciting, massive signings, of course we have to be realistic that while Ancelotti was a big factor, they could have / would have gone to better teams if they were also super consistent and fit. But they are good risks to take because they are the type o midfielders we needed, and not in the category of Siggy, Iwobi, Bernard, Gomes and other Koeman/Walsh signings which made no sense.
Yes, we'll have to wait and see. Next season will be critical, whether one has succeeded with this strategy. However, I am not very impressed with how Everton have acted under Moshiri, and from the outside it seems as if there is a lot of incompetence in the club. The way we have "invested" in players under Moshiri, and the lack of a common thread has been all too visible.

Oh well Here goes ready for the wrath of the many but I feel that I must take our manager to task
over his handling of yesterdays game. From very early on itwas obvious Holgate was not comfortable in his play and was an increasing liabilty both defensivley and going forward yet the manager allowed that to continue until late in the second half, Why?????
when he decided to make a substitutuion he took off the only player who was attemptimng to move the ball forward and brought on a striker who because of Davies being substituted had little or no chance of receiving the ball in ann attacking situation. Why???? only my opinion of course but I believe Carlos was a much to blame as anone else for todays defeat

Th
Oh well Here goes ready for the wrath of the many but I feel that I must take our manager to task
over his handling of yesterdays game. From very early on itwas obvious Holgate was not comfortable in his play and was an increasing liabilty both defensivley and going forward yet the manager allowed that to continue until late in the second half, Why?????
when he decided to make a substitutuion he took off the only player who was attemptimng to move the ball forward and brought on a striker who because of Davies being substituted had little or no chance of receiving the ball in ann attacking situation. Why???? only my opinion of course but I believe Carlos was a much to blame as anone else for todays defeat
Holgate is obvs not a good rb but we literally didn’t have anyone else to play there, Coleman wasnt 100% to start. Davies again has been carrying a knock and probably didn’t want to risk him for 90 minutes. We had very limited options and we had to use a sub on Pickford getting injured

Carlo doesn't trust these players to open up and play free flowing football and many of them have proved why over and over again. Our issue is also our sheer imbalance we rely far too much on the left hand side, James and Doucoure providing legs, two of those are out. Our only proper right back is nearing the end of his career. When you look at it like that we are actually over achieving this season. Agree the home form is shocking though.

There's just such a laissez-faire attitude permeating through the club at every level, it's difficult to know what we should realistically expect from a manager.

As much as we'd like to believe that hiring Ancelotti was a vital step on a well-planned journey towards becoming Champions League regulars, I think it's far more likely to have been a rare success for a recruitment strategy that doesn't really go much deeper than getting in the highest-profile option out of whoever's available at any given time.

This is the only way that I can make sense out of the apparent lack of concern over a squad assembled at such an enormous cost having no cover at full-back, right-wing or centre forward. Even in the most recent window, a fourth left-winger was signed, despite it being acknowledged publicly that the only right-sider isn't going to play very much.

If Brands does leave in the summer, I'd love to hear him talk about the brief that he's been working to.
So if the manager says he will go with Seamus & Holgate , even Godfrey while we strengthen the much needed midfield replacements thats now considered wrong ?
It will be addressed next window.

So if the manager says he will go with Seamus & Holgate , even Godfrey while we strengthen the much needed midfield replacements thats now considered wrong ?
It will be addressed next window.
Yes, it's wrong to have to spent what Everton have, and to carry such an enormous wage bill, and still not have cover in four out of ten outfield positions.

Yes, it's wrong to have to spent what Everton have, and to carry such an enormous wage bill, and still not have cover in four out of ten outfield positions.
Give him time mate.
Hardest part was getting rid of the dross he inherited , he's had one propper window....wait til he's had at least another.

Give him time mate.
Hardest part was getting rid of the dross he inherited , he's had one propper window....wait til he's had at least another.
I'm not blaming Ancelotti at all. This started with Walsh and has continued under Brands, which says to me that the rot is deeper than even the DoF.

The club are just fortunate that Ancelotti's stock was at it's lowest in decades when Silva was sacked.

It would be beyond negligent to not buy a right back in the summer.
It was beyond negligent to loan out Kean and not replace him, loan out Walcott and leave us with absolutely no pace either.

The one season we could have had a proper go at top 4 and we’ve blown it.

Everyone will be far stronger next season and once again we play catch up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back