Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
That sums up my opinions.

I think he’s squeezing all he can out of what he has available at the moment.

Not sure what else he can do. I’m sure he’s tried and not just sent his players out with zero plan or structure like many would believe. If it was some bum manager who didn’t know what he was doing fair enough.

I don’t expect anything to change for us until all of our better players are available and the turgid chokers of yesteryear are shown the door.
Exactly, and it could take another two summer windows to get there.
I’m pretty sure this summef, the glaring holes on the right-hand side will be addressed. Also, better supporting forward / attacking / striker / wide options are required but depends how far the budget will stretch.

I cannot agree with some of the quotes saying that all things considered we are doing quite well. I guess that means our league position is "the be all and end all that matters". That would certainly be true of many clubs we have traditionally tended to look down upon as "inferior". But we are Everton, and the standard of football we churn out is an insult to our previous history. Bear in mind again that nobody is paying to watch this rubbish which is easily avoided with a regular use of the off switch. It will be a whole different matter when fans are travelling and paying to watch the sort of garbage football we now regularly deliver. Maybe the presence of crowds will force a change, I do not know. Whether or not Carlo can fix it over the next few years and repair the damage of years of mis-management of this great club, nobody knows. But we are not doing "quite well".

We go on about Bolasie, Schneiderlin and Walcott sucking wages out of the club but we haven't learned and replaced them with Iwobi, Bernard, and Delph.

Brands was supposed to fix that problem not continue it.
I think that Iwobi and Bernard would have some resale value. Delph is just a disaster, but at least Delph and Bernard didn’t cost much to sign.

Bolassie, Schniderlin and Walcott cost about £70m and have left for more or less nothing. When Tosun goes for another loan, that will be another £27m down the pan.

We also overpaid massively for Sigurdsson which is why he is viewed as a failure.

Whilst Iwobi, Bernard and Delph do draw a very significant salary, the magnitude of the error is far less because the capital outlay was far less. It’s also offset be some very good buys. Digne, Godfrey, Doucoure, Richarlison, and James on a free.

No one gets them all right, but the hit rate has improved.

I think that Iwobi and Bernard would have some resale value. Delph is just a disaster, but at least Delph and Bernard didn’t cost much to sign.

Bolassie, Schniderlin and Walcott cost about £70m and have left for more or less nothing. When Tosun goes for another loan, that will be another £27m down the pan.

We also overpaid massively for Sigurdsson which is why he is viewed as a failure.

Whilst Iwobi, Bernard and Delph do draw a very significant salary, the magnitude of the error is far less because the capital outlay was far less. It’s also offset be some very good buys. Digne, Godfrey, Doucoure, Richarlison, and James on a free.

No one gets them all right, but the hit rate has improved.
Its the same problem as we had with the Walsh group.

They're on higher wages here than they will ever get elsewhere and shouldn't have been signed. They will all run their contracts down.

Bernard is on what Walcott made, Delph isn't on much less than Schneiderlin was, Iwobi is probably making more than we paid Bolasie. The capital outlay is similar with slightly less paid out for transfer fees but still stuck with contracts we can't shift.

We still don't have a right side after 3 years.

A lot of Carlo's problems come from the make up of the squad and after 3 years they aren't all Walsh's fault anymore.

I get why people are somewhat overreacting, there's no denying that we haven't really dominated a game for months now. Many of the games we've won after that brilliant start in Sep-Oct have very much been a case of fine margins were we've felt that on another day we lose. And that's including games against the likes of both Sheffield clubs, a turgid WBA and Rotherham. But I don't think we ever see top class football under Ancelotti until we have top class players. He's a master tactician who has a very adaptable approach. Anyone expecting some Pep/Klopp/Bielsa imposing of style of play have to let go as long as Ancelotti is our manager.

We're now gonna have to go the rest of the season without Doucoure bringing energy to our pedestrian midfield. We're gonna have to choose between a declining Coleman and Holgate at right-back and all with no natural option ahead of them on the right-wing. And last but not least, James will likely keep having intermittent fitness issues so our creativity will largely be limited to Digne and Sigurdsson's few and far between moments.

No matter who we have in charge it's not gonna be a pretty end to the season, we're effectively down to the side that finished 12th last season so I just hope people appreciate that if we fall further away from the top 4 in the coming weeks.

I don't like ending these things negatively, at the end of the day we still have a great opportunity to finish in a European place with the platform we've built after 28 games. Not to mention we have the FA Cup to look forward to, I think Carlo has proven already he can get us results against the odds so just gotta keep believing that things will go our way. I was convinced Spurs were gonna dump us out so you never know.

I cannot agree with some of the quotes saying that all things considered we are doing quite well. I guess that means our league position is "the be all and end all that matters". That would certainly be true of many clubs we have traditionally tended to look down upon as "inferior". But we are Everton, and the standard of football we churn out is an insult to our previous history. Bear in mind again that nobody is paying to watch this rubbish which is easily avoided with a regular use of the off switch. It will be a whole different matter when fans are travelling and paying to watch the sort of garbage football we now regularly deliver. Maybe the presence of crowds will force a change, I do not know. Whether or not Carlo can fix it over the next few years and repair the damage of years of mis-management of this great club, nobody knows. But we are not doing "quite well".
Shut up

I get why people are somewhat overreacting, there's no denying that we haven't really dominated a game for months now. Many of the games we've won after that brilliant start in Sep-Oct have very much been a case of fine margins were we've felt that on another day we lose. And that's including games against the likes of both Sheffield clubs, a turgid WBA and Rotherham. But I don't think we ever see top class football under Ancelotti until we have top class players. He's a master tactician who has a very adaptable approach. Anyone expecting some Pep/Klopp/Bielsa imposing of style of play have to let go as long as Ancelotti is our manager.

We're now gonna have to go the rest of the season without Doucoure bringing energy to our pedestrian midfield. We're gonna have to choose between a declining Coleman and Holgate at right-back and all with no natural option ahead of them on the right-wing. And last but not least, James will likely keep having intermittent fitness issues so our creativity will largely be limited to Digne and Sigurdsson's few and far between moments.

No matter who we have in charge it's not gonna be a pretty end to the season, we're effectively down to the side that finished 12th last season so I just hope people appreciate that if we fall further away from the top 4 in the coming weeks.

I don't like ending these things negatively, at the end of the day we still have a great opportunity to finish in a European place with the platform we've built after 28 games. Not to mention we have the FA Cup to look forward to, I think Carlo has proven already he can get us results against the odds so just gotta keep believing that things will go our way. I was convinced Spurs were gonna dump us out so you never know.

Absolutely. Understanding the situation would help us calibrate our response to results.

If he can get the team to 65 points he will have earned his corn and then some.

Everton – Average Premier League position = 10.32

Hes currently way above average.

People have this idea that we are "the best of the rest", we ain't and haven't been for about 15 years.
The improvement won’t come instantly. However, sorting out the right hand side wouldn’t half help.

Similarly, getting Gbamin fit and replacing Delph will add to the midfield depth and take some of the strain.

If the only way Ancelotti can make it work is to have a squad that is competitive with the best squads in the league man for man I just don't know that it happens

Imagine if Carlo read some of the stuff on here??? maybe he should have his own thread that he writes what he thinks about the supporters. I was reading the other day that he is like the fifth most successful manager in terms of cups and titles... we don't have a Top 10 goalie, defender, midfielder, winger, striker... and yet people still think they know more than he does. It is amazing really. Do you all really think Sean Dyche tactically outwitted him on Saturday? I imagine if we signed Ronaldo and Messi next week people would complain and say "they can't really play together"

The top 6 is still well within reach, and it is a good finish. However, we must not be so defensive that we define 8th, 9th and 10th place as good final places. In that case, it is difficult to talk about progression. I see many come up with various excuses in case we should not manage it, and we can hope the club internally does not have the same mentality. Both Ancelotti and the club have signaled that Europe is the goal this season, and then it is a little strange that the fans have lower expectations.

So far I am positive, we are in a position to manage the top 6, and are still in the Fa cup. The football we have played, at least offensively, is characterized by a lack of a good collective offensive plan, based on the players we have available, and is something that must be fixed for next season. I rather see that we use the Watford style completely (80s), than that we do neither one nor the other. But like I said, I think this will get better next season.

Imagine if Carlo read some of the stuff on here??? maybe he should have his own thread that he writes what he thinks about the supporters. I was reading the other day that he is like the fifth most successful manager in terms of cups and titles... we don't have a Top 10 goalie, defender, midfielder, winger, striker... and yet people still think they know more than he does. It is amazing really. Do you all really think Sean Dyche tactically outwitted him on Saturday? I imagine if we signed Ronaldo and Messi next week people would complain and say "they can't really play together"
The performance was poor and a lot have been, people are allowed to question things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back