Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Imagine if Carlo read some of the stuff on here??? maybe he should have his own thread that he writes what he thinks about the supporters. I was reading the other day that he is like the fifth most successful manager in terms of cups and titles... we don't have a Top 10 goalie, defender, midfielder, winger, striker... and yet people still think they know more than he does. It is amazing really. Do you all really think Sean Dyche tactically outwitted him on Saturday? I imagine if we signed Ronaldo and Messi next week people would complain and say "they can't really play together"
Spot on this. Easy to sit there saying what a world class manager "should have" done differently with zero insight into what goes on in training and private matters.

We have an average squad of players who will win and lose a certain amount of games over the course of a season (home or away). Until the average quality of the squad improves it will be the same, irrespective of who the manager is.The fact that we're anywhere near the top 4 is a miracle in itself.

Imagine if Carlo read some of the stuff on here??? maybe he should have his own thread that he writes what he thinks about the supporters. I was reading the other day that he is like the fifth most successful manager in terms of cups and titles... we don't have a Top 10 goalie, defender, midfielder, winger, striker... and yet people still think they know more than he does. It is amazing really. Do you all really think Sean Dyche tactically outwitted him on Saturday? I imagine if we signed Ronaldo and Messi next week people would complain and say "they can't really play together"

you dont think DCL is a top ten striker? The scoring charts suggest he is. Carlo had a lot more at his disposal than Dyche did on Saturday and offered up a lot less. No 9 e is suggesting we want dyche instead but a manager as highly decorated as Carlo Ancelotti should be getting more out of this squad in games against Burnley, Fulham, Newcastle etc.

Spot on this. Easy to sit there saying what a world class manager "should have" done differently with zero insight into what goes on in training and private matters.

We have an average squad of players who will win and lose a certain amount of games over the course of a season (home or away). Until the average quality of the squad improves it will be the same, irrespective of who the manager is.The fact that we're anywhere near the top 4 is a miracle in itself.
We could make progress along the way. And yes I know we're ahead of where we were last year but the football isn't any better for me.

If the only way Ancelotti can make it work is to have a squad that is competitive with the best squads in the league man for man I just don't know that it happens

Not saying that we need a full 11 of world beaters mate, again the guy has already got terrific results with this this team. I’m just saying we need more than only one fella who can run in midfield and an actual right hand side if we’re properly gonna push the top 4.

100%. I’m just not of the opinion that every one of these problems is down to Carlo. Ultimately he has to carry the can for them as a manager but take the Burnley game for example, until they scored we were in complete control, passing it round confidently, defensively secure, and we’d created a few openings. That is a perfect set up. That Davies then gives the ball away and we concede would not have been in the manager’s game plan, then a lot of players started to lose confidence and just passing balls backwards. I’m sure Carlo would like to pick different players but we don’t have them or they’re not fit.

There are a few things I will criticise him for. He’s played players who aren’t fully fit which i just think is a no no in the premier league. For some reason he doesn’t seem to value Walcott Kean or King as any type of attacking outlet which I think is a mistake. He doesn’t seem to want to give the likes of Onyango or Gordon game time when I think they’d probably offer more than Iwobi or Siggurdson.

So I think there’s room to say that his selection of his trusted core of players is open for scrutiny. Then there’s been the odd game I think he’s got it tactically wrong (Newcastle home and away, Fulham at home) but not many.

After this though it really does come down to the performance of players. Pickford dropping balls in his net, Holgate/Coleman having concentration lapses or struggling to play simple five yard passes. Gomes not tackling or over hitting simple passes. Davies dwelling on the ball too long and being weak in losing it. DCL missing simple chances, Richalrison consistently miscontrolling it. These are the mistakes that tilt games against us. I’m sure Carlo doesn’t ask his players to do any of these. He’s tried dropping most of them or rotating them but there’s quite simply no one else. The front two know they’re playing no matter how poor they’ve played, same with the midfielders as their competition has now gone due to injuries and lo and behold their performances have nosedived again.

Too much in my view is assigned to ‘mentality’. The players just need to ‘have a go’ then we’d
suddenly win games we’ve been second best in. I don’t think Carlo ever tells the players not to try and win. You can’t ‘have a go’ though against top quality opposition if 1-11 you have one of the slowest teams in the league. No matter how much the players might ‘want’ to, a better faster stronger set of opposition players also are wanting to ‘have a go’ and they have the tools to carry it out. It’s a lazy criticism that just annoys me, as though any football problem could be solved by the manager throwing on eye of the tiger in the changing room before the game and big Dunc screaming ‘get into them’ a bit harder. It’s nonsense. Pace power technique are the keys to winning and from that comes mentality. We don’t have nearly enough of any of those qualities.
We need more of this

For the rest of the season I’d go back to 4231. It’s the formation we’ve looked most balanced in. Richalrison will have his lip out, but it means the flanks are covered, it allows James to ply in number 10 and it means only two midfielders have to cover a much smaller area of the pitch. I’d do that until the end of the season but Carlo shelved that formation as soon as Mina got injured.
Who plays on the right of the 3 ?
If its James who plays the 10?
Gomes and siggy are too slow ?

2 of Richalrison King Iwobi Digne on the flanks. The wall as the back 4. Allan and Gomes/Davies as the midfield two, James at 10 behind DCL would be my call given who is available.
I agree with that. Not sure the front two is working or ever has as a combination, despite some handy results, last season in particular.

Also, think we can only get away with one of James/Gomes/Sigurdson on a regular basis.

We could make progress along the way. And yes I know we're ahead of where we were last year but the football isn't any better for me.

I think the style of football point may be a bit moot. Ancelotti is not a Guardiola or Mourinho or Klopp who all play the same way regardless. Ancelotti himself has said that he looks at who he has available and tries to find a way to win the game. He’s a pragmatist. When he’s had top players he’s played some of the best football in Europe. His Milan Madrid Chelsea teams were a joy to watch scoring goals with flowing football. We were very good to watch at the start of the season as well when we had all our players fit. What he’s not going to do however is ask some of the rubbish we have now to play the same way and lose if there’s a way they could play and win. For me better players will just give Ancelotti the option to play better football which he will if it will bring the win. Otherwise we’re right back in the Martinez territory of supposedly playing aesthetic football but actually just playing losing football which is where Wolves Southampton Leeds Brighton Fulham find themselves this season. They’ll get a nice slap on the back from Jermaine Jenas on match of the day but I doubt their fans appreciate being bottom half.

Rafinha inclided Ancelotti in the top 5 managers he played for:

“Bayern Munich, where I caught the created snakes. Jupp Heynckes, top, one of the best I’ve had. Guardiola, the best I have had. Carlo Ancelotti, a father, a sacred monster,” Rafinha said.

Rafinha inclided Ancelotti in the top 5 managers he played for:

“Bayern Munich, where I caught the created snakes. Jupp Heynckes, top, one of the best I’ve had. Guardiola, the best I have had. Carlo Ancelotti, a father, a sacred monster,” Rafinha said.
Woah! One for the honours board that.

Love him.. but I feel he needs to find a better way of keeping the players motivated because something doesn't seem right there.

Love him.. but I feel he needs to find a better way of keeping the players motivated because something doesn't seem right there.

I think a few of them know that they may not be part of his long term plans and are justifying the reason why they shouldn't be....

Simply put - we have too many employees and not enough players..... By employees I'm looking at Gomes, Gylfi, Delph, Iwobi and probably more than that who don't have the right mindset to be part of a side who looks to win every game.... They are here cos they are paid a wage.

Show me 11 Ben Godfrey's and I'll show you a team that will win alot of games. Not because they are the best but because they try their best and don't accept anything less.

I cannot agree with some of the quotes saying that all things considered we are doing quite well. I guess that means our league position is "the be all and end all that matters". That would certainly be true of many clubs we have traditionally tended to look down upon as "inferior". But we are Everton, and the standard of football we churn out is an insult to our previous history. Bear in mind again that nobody is paying to watch this rubbish which is easily avoided with a regular use of the off switch. It will be a whole different matter when fans are travelling and paying to watch the sort of garbage football we now regularly deliver. Maybe the presence of crowds will force a change, I do not know. Whether or not Carlo can fix it over the next few years and repair the damage of years of mis-management of this great club, nobody knows. But we are not doing "quite well".
I think it would help if we forgot what Carlo has done in the past as a manager, what counts is what he achieves here as Everton’s manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back