Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
0 points from Leeds the geordies Fulham and Burnley at home. As much as i trust in the Don Carlo to sort us out, that statistic is pretty effing disgraceful tbh, and should rightly be criticised. I get that this team is not the finished article, but you would expect a world class manager, to get at least three wins from those fixtures. There was a great chance for the top 4 this season but it looks like we've blown it, and really the squad should have been strengthened in January. Why does this club, always waste the opportunities that are presented to it?
I mean your right we'd expect 7 from those minimum.

However we'd also expect defeats at Anfield, Old Trafford, Spurs away along with many more. It does balance out hence why we are 7th with 2/3 missed opportunities to be 4/5th.

These players arent capable of going and bossing games, creating chances cleanly, they've shown it. They are better at defending and looking to hit on the break, hence why when we play teams at home who come at us, while we are trying to go at them, we look vulnerable. When James Allan and Doucoure are on we dont magically look better, we look better as these two help knit things together.

That's just how it is at the moment, it does have something to do with fans but not massively, just the balance and qualities of our squad are not matching throughout the 20-25 players, you have clusters who do well together or clusters with different styles. The defence has been decent this year but some goals comes from them having to defend errors constantly given away in midfield. Look at Wood's goal, again.

FOR ME, all the problems stem to the midfield. Love Allan, Doucoure isn't a great technical player but he gets about and keeps it simple. Apart from that, what do we have?

Davies - same issues, had a couple fo solid games but now looks his usual self.
Gomes - awful, no ambition on the ball, no fight. Dont get what people see anymore. If there was a player when we signed him, there isn't now.
Iwobi - no influence in the majority of games.
Bernard - ditto.
Siggurddson - can contribute from the pen spot and a cross here and there but not a player to go dictate games.
James - wonderful but never fit.
Delph - never fit, not the worst player but also a tit.

Sort this mess out and the rest will align nicely, apart from a right back obviously.

Well we rate players, top notch and average, on their performances, a lot have done well, a lot haven’t performed for Everton as they had for other clubs, what they did for their previous clubs had no bearing on what they did for Everton. Same with Carlo, there is absolutely no guarantee what he did with other clubs he will do for Everton, I’m not against him, I’m waiting to to see how he gets the club performing here, he needs time and time will tell whether he has done well here or not, I’m not patting him on the back or kicking his backside.

I love Carlo.

I think he's done a very good job with what he's been given so far and the circumstances (our injuries this season have been troublesome).

Nobody should be raving to the point of calling him a legend, he has a solid start to his management career with us, he has a lot of work still to do. Those criticising him on the other end of the scale can't say hes been awful, or wrong for the club (the stats dont lie we are much better off than we were) but they can show concern for aspects as well.

You have to balance both points, at the start of the season if you said we'd take 7 from spurs, united and liverpool away (ending the anfield voodoo), but get beat by Newcastle, Fulham and Leeds at home. I think i'd have taken it, doing that is better for us than losing the 3 games away, and then taking 7 from the lesser etams. We've hurt teams around us while when lost not gifted tougher teams points.

I KNOW ideally you'd want points from both sets, and that's what gets you CL football, but ultimately we've improved this season, but still missing 2/3 jigsaw pieces for the first 11 in my eyes.

Imagine if we had a right back who could whip a ball in and had some space. We'd have a threat from both sides, James, iwobi, richarlison all would have more to go off when playing that right side.

I agree, Newcastle have 7 wins this season from their 28 games. 2 are against us, in the Goodison game we couldnt get anywhere near them. We made them look like prime Barcelona, same with Fulham they beat us without breaking sweat.

I dont buy the fans theory, it is the same for everyone....
Agreed with this, fed up of the same “why do rubbish teams raise their game against us?”. Cause we are pish, they ain’t raising their game, by comparison to our team they just better in moving the ball. Even championship teams have bossed us this year, and it’s all down to midfield. Gotta have a strong spine, we’re cartilage by comparison.

sign more midfielders, they are not good enough

I mean your right we'd expect 7 from those minimum.

However we'd also expect defeats at Anfield, Old Trafford, Spurs away along with many more. It does balance out hence why we are 7th with 2/3 missed opportunities to be 4/5th.

These players arent capable of going and bossing games, creating chances cleanly, they've shown it. They are better at defending and looking to hit on the break, hence why when we play teams at home who come at us, while we are trying to go at them, we look vulnerable. When James Allan and Doucoure are on we dont magically look better, we look better as these two help knit things together.

That's just how it is at the moment, it does have something to do with fans but not massively, just the balance and qualities of our squad are not matching throughout the 20-25 players, you have clusters who do well together or clusters with different styles. The defence has been decent this year but some goals comes from them having to defend errors constantly given away in midfield. Look at Wood's goal, again.

FOR ME, all the problems stem to the midfield. Love Allan, Doucoure isn't a great technical player but he gets about and keeps it simple. Apart from that, what do we have?

Davies - same issues, had a couple fo solid games but now looks his usual self.
Gomes - awful, no ambition on the ball, no fight. Dont get what people see anymore. If there was a player when we signed him, there isn't now.
Iwobi - no influence in the majority of games.
Bernard - ditto.
Siggurddson - can contribute from the pen spot and a cross here and there but not a player to go dictate games.
James - wonderful but never fit.
Delph - never fit, not the worst player but also a tit.

Sort this mess out and the rest will align nicely, apart from a right back obviously.
Who’s worse than delph?

0 points from Leeds the geordies Fulham and Burnley at home. As much as i trust in the Don Carlo to sort us out, that statistic is pretty effing disgraceful tbh, and should rightly be criticised. I get that this team is not the finished article, but you would expect a world class manager, to get at least three wins from those fixtures. There was a great chance for the top 4 this season but it looks like we've blown it, and really the squad should have been strengthened in January. Why does this club, always waste the opportunities that are presented to it?
Since Moyes left we've had 5 managers in 7 years, which has largely meant that thus far much of the Moshiri windfall has been wasted. We've got to give a manager time, and heaven knows, we're not going to get any manager more decorated than Ancelotti, so as long as he's happy with us then we stick with him imo.

Who’s worse than delph?
Delph's a better footballer than Tom Davies, without doubt.
I'd say he'd probably offer more than Gomes, who offers nothing.

As I said, he's very much a bit of a tit and is a easy yellow some games, but he's not an awful footballer.

Since Moyes left we've had 5 managers in 7 years, which has largely meant that thus far much of the Moshiri windfall has been wasted. We've got to give a manager time, and heaven knows, we're not going to get any manager more decorated than Ancelotti, so as long as he's happy with us then we stick with him imo.
I agree 100%. While i would be critical of the home record, we had a great derby win at anfield, and did well against United at Old Trafford, and we beat Spurs away. Carlo deserves to be both praised and criticised when merited, but i fully believe that he is the man to turn us around. This club will not attract another manger with his CV, so yes he needs at least two or three full seasons in charge in my opinion.

Last edited:
I think the style of football point may be a bit moot. Ancelotti is not a Guardiola or Mourinho or Klopp who all play the same way regardless. Ancelotti himself has said that he looks at who he has available and tries to find a way to win the game. He’s a pragmatist. When he’s had top players he’s played some of the best football in Europe. His Milan Madrid Chelsea teams were a joy to watch scoring goals with flowing football. We were very good to watch at the start of the season as well when we had all our players fit. What he’s not going to do however is ask some of the rubbish we have now to play the same way and lose if there’s a way they could play and win. For me better players will just give Ancelotti the option to play better football which he will if it will bring the win. Otherwise we’re right back in the Martinez territory of supposedly playing aesthetic football but actually just playing losing football which is where Wolves Southampton Leeds Brighton Fulham find themselves this season. They’ll get a nice slap on the back from Jermaine Jenas on match of the day but I doubt their fans appreciate being bottom half.
"When he's has top players."

We're probably never going to have a team as good as City, United or Chelsea. Having the best players can't be a prerequisite.

I'm really not on about style so much as if you're playing super defensively you've got to be good at it. We're honestly still too leaky.

Is the correct way to look at this. If we can’t allow Ancelotti time to build his own team and progress then we may as well give up. If we just keep floating from one manager to the next accumulating players to suit their needs then we will just keep going round and round in circles.

I wouldn’t mind it’s not like we are sitting 16th having had a terrible campaign. For all the negatives at home there’s many positives away. We are suited to a particular style at the moment and it works best away from home when we aren’t being suffocated for 90 minutes. Due to injuries and the players we have at our disposal it’s just the way it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back