Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
We finished 12th last season. We are on course to better that. That’s progress. Not arsed about style or systems that will come in time when our gash players are thrown away.
It is possible to achieve better results while also developing a team that plays better. I swear it is.

Yep but that takes longer than 12 months.
To start showing signs of progress? I'm not asking it to be finished but I genuinely don't think we've moved forward on that front. We're hiding behind results that our level of play does not guarantee will continue.

It is possible to achieve better results while also developing a team that plays better. I swear it is.

You come across like a FIFA/Football Manager type person. Football isn’t as simple as you think it is. Not a case of I’ll sign x or y and then get them to do this and that and we’ll be fine. Our players are generally rubbish. Especially with your boy Iwobi in the team.

To start showing signs of progress? I'm not asking it to be finished but I genuinely don't think we've moved forward on that front. We're hiding behind results that our level of play does not guarantee will continue.

Yeah I think you need 2-3 transfer windows to progress from where we were as a squad.

Allan, Doucoure, James, Godfrey are good starts, there's positives to be had but ultimately Ancelotti is still trying to make diamonds out of coal.

It's a big summer ahead. Another 12 months before we can truly judge whether we're enacting a successful plan really. The likes go Gomes, Iwobi etc. clearly shouldn't be part of any starting eleven by that point.

You come across like a FIFA/Football Manager type person. Football isn’t as simple as you think it is. Not a case of I’ll sign x or y and then get them to do this and that and we’ll be fine. Our players are generally rubbish. Especially with your boy Iwobi in the team.
It really doesn't mean you can't start developing a system

Yeah I think you need 2-3 transfer windows to progress from where we were as a squad.

Allan, Doucoure, James, Godfrey are good starts, there's positives to be had but ultimately Ancelotti is still trying to make diamonds out of coal.

It's a big summer ahead. Another 12 months before we can truly judge whether we're enacting a successful plan really. The likes go Gomes, Iwobi etc. clearly shouldn't be part of any starting eleven by that point.
My question is how do you think we'll be playing in 12 months? I honestly can't say and that's really what my issue is. Are we sure there is a direction? People love to talk about being pragmatic but when every game is a coin flip you are really just playing for luck. In the past tactics like that were fine for Carlo as he had guys like Kaka, Drogba and Ronaldo. Without that level of talent even games aren't going to tip your way as much.

It really doesn't mean you can't start developing a system
Because Carlo doesn't believe in a single system and has said so himself. He is pragmatic, he takes it game by game, the players he has currently fit aren't good enough for nice football, we played some really good stuff at the start of the season because we had a fully fit squad of good players, we now have Iwobi trying to play football, Gomes jogging around the pitch, Holgate being dog turd with his passing, Gylfi not getting involved enough, Allan coming back from a long lay off, Davies coming back from injury. We need to grind results out right now, if it isn't pretty so be it just get points on the board

Because Carlo doesn't believe in a single system and has said so himself. He is pragmatic, he takes it game by game, the players he has currently fit aren't good enough for nice football, we played some really good stuff at the start of the season because we had a fully fit squad of good players, we now have Iwobi trying to play football, Gomes jogging around the pitch, Holgate being dog turd with his passing, Gylfi not getting involved enough, Allan coming back from a long lay off, Davies coming back from injury. We need to grind results out right now, if it isn't pretty so be it just get points on the board
There is going to be a run where it doesn't get points on the board and we're going to be nowhere.

There is going to be a run where it doesn't get points on the board and we're going to be nowhere.
And where is this Crystal ball you have? It wasn't great against Burnley fair enough but that for me was 2 individual errors costing us. If the forwards had a bit more composure and the individual errors never happened then we win the game. Alas here we are having been beaten by a bog standard Burnley team who had that moment of brilliance from McNeil (even though Allan committed far too easily)

And where is this Crystal ball you have? It wasn't great against Burnley fair enough but that for me was 2 individual errors costing us. If the forwards had a bit more composure and the individual errors never happened then we win the game. Alas here we are having been beaten by a bog standard Burnley team who had that moment of brilliance from McNeil (even though Allan committed far too easily)
It's really just that I believe that indicators of performance can't be beat forever. If you're conceding more shots than you take and conceding better chances than you create eventually that catches up. We've beat it all year and maybe we will continue it to an extent but the last two games between McNeil's screamer and the OG at Chelsea show how tight we're playing it. Anything like that goes against us and we drop points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back