Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
No I agree that we desperately need pace, I think we all do. It just feels to me like every home game is a repeat of the last. We know what our problems are, but it feels like we don't do anything to negate them, we just turn up with the same game plan that has failed in all but one of our last eight home games. We need to find a way to get past the fact that other teams players might be a little bit faster than ours, I don't think that's asking too much. I've said before, I am absolutely not suggesting we should have beaten ALL of Burnley, Leeds, Newcastle, West Ham, Fulham etc, but I certainly think we should have found a way to beat SOME of them. Or at the very least come away wondering how we didn't. The concern for me is that we just don't seem to be able to find a way to have the game played on our terms, whoever or wherever we're playing. We need to find a way to change that, or the season is going to peter away into another disappointing failure.

From those 5 games we should have got at least 5 points (1 win, 2 draws, 2 losses and it still would have been disappointing!..
If Carlo really can't get anything out of this midfield, we have to work harder. Allan Doucoure must be struggling to carry it on their own, and so the problems are with Siggy, Gomes, Davies...broken record here.

Ancelotti is rebuilding Rome here fellas. It will take a while. Those standing on their self made pedestals proclaiming that he's made mistakes need to realise that every manager does so. Carlo makes fewer than most and ceraltainly fewer than amateur opinionistas on here would.

Just perhaps when we lose a game or perform poorly its NOT just down to his mistakes - its down to the fact that maybe the other team did well. That's what happens in sport. We're not the rs who flap around to find excuses to not being perfect all of the time, so stop yer whinging. If you want to moan about a manager not delivering you your divine right every game, go support the mutants.
I very much doubt anyone actually thinks they'd be a better manager than Ancelotti, in the same way that I don't think I was a better centre forward than Brett Angell. We're surely allowed to pass comment on what we think though, you know, with it being a forum and that. Just perhaps, people who don't agree with you aren't all rabid idiots, and simply see things differently.

It was fascinating how quickly some got over winning the derby. At Anfield. Like the very next game. That we won.

I use to always think the next manager to break that horrible record would get some serious leeway off the fans. We are having a decent season regardless of that derby win. But we won the two games after and people were on his back.
Winning at Anfield was brilliant. It was a massive monkey off our backs, I thoroughly enjoyed the week after it and it will be a nice one to look back on. If beating Liverpool once every 20 years is the limit of some fans ambition then that's great for them, but I'd quite like the club to achieve a bit more than that. Apologies if you find that upsetting.

Winning at Anfield was brilliant. It was a massive monkey off our backs, I thoroughly enjoyed the week after it and it will be a nice one to look back on. If beating Liverpool once every 20 years is the limit of some fans ambition then that's great for them, but I'd quite like the club to achieve a bit more than that. Apologies if you find that upsetting.
Are you trying to trigger me?

I very much doubt anyone actually thinks they'd be a better manager than Ancelotti, in the same way that I don't think I was a better centre forward than Brett Angell. We're surely allowed to pass comment on what we think though, you know, with it being a forum and that. Just perhaps, people who don't agree with you aren't all rabid idiots, and simply see things differently.
Discussion is one thing. Permanently moaning without any balance is another.

I realise the irony in my own comment.

We can make better use of why we have by bridging the quality gap in the squad. Carlo has taken DCL Richy Godfrey Keane Holgate up a level since joining. He’s improved the midfielders too but their base level is just too low. If we got in two competent midfielders who can run, tackle, and pass, to a premier league standard then combined with Docuoure Allan and hopefully Gbamin we will have decent midfield options. That will then allow our better players to be a lot better, less pressure on the defence, more chances for the forwards equals more games won and CL football.

We won’t get CL football if next season we are playing a large chunk of games with Davies Gomes Siggurdson Coleman. It just won’t happen no matter what Carlo does.
This

Interested to see how he sets up Saturday. Will he try and keep it tight or maybe go at City like United did? He will no doubt play mind games so the line up will be a guessing game. I hope James is on the bench at least.

Interested to see how he sets up Saturday. Will he try and keep it tight or maybe go at City like United did? He will no doubt play mind games so the line up will be a guessing game. I hope James is on the bench at least.

We don't attack relegation fodder at home, I somehow doubt we are going to attack one of the best teams in Europe

There's seeing things differently and then there's losing sight of the big picture, ignoring actual measures of improvement and just moaning because things aren't perfect and we're not playing teams off the park.

Managers are generally as good as their players. If you think there's another person on the planet that would be getting this squad, with these injuries, playing samba football and winning even most games then you're deluded.

Spot on.

We're a moments team. We play moments football. We base everything on having those moments and taking them.

Issue is, that puts so much burden on our 3 players actually capable of being creative (one of whom will only be fit for half of our games, the other one the fanbase don't rate and the other one is a left-back), and it also puts a massive burden on Dom - and Rich - to take them.

I don't mind us being a moments team, but if we're going to do that, we need to up our chance creation and find different ways to score goals (which weirdly, we did do v Burnley in terms of the players involved in the move up until the goal). Otherwise, we're putting far too much pressure on our defence.
Is this Gylfi?

There's seeing things differently and then there's losing sight of the big picture, ignoring actual measures of improvement and just moaning because things aren't perfect and we're not playing teams off the park.

Managers are generally as good as their players. If you think there's another person on the planet that would be getting this squad, with these injuries, playing samba football and winning even most games then you're deluded.
Creating chances and goal difference are units of measurement and in a lot of ways they're more useful units than results for determining if a team is going to be good going forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back