Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's seeing things differently and then there's losing sight of the big picture, ignoring actual measures of improvement and just moaning because things aren't perfect and we're not playing teams off the park.

Managers are generally as good as their players. If you think there's another person on the planet that would be getting this squad, with these injuries, playing samba football and winning even most games then you're deluded.
Or maybe it’s you who’s not seeing the bigger picture. We’ll see in time. Again though, I don’t think the people who see things differently to me are idiots, it’s a shame you do.

We counting set plays I assume then?

Because his creativity from open play is shocking

Well either way he's our third-most 'creative' player, is my point.

James has created 31 league chances from 18 apps.
Digne 30 league chances from 20 apps.
Gylfi 29 league chances from 25 apps.

For comparison, Doucoure is our fourth-highest, with 19 league chances from 25 apps.

IIRC, 16 of Gylfi's chances created have come from set-pieces, and 13 from open play.

Obviously this is just in the league.

Well either way he's our third-most 'creative' player, is my point.

James has created 31 league chances from 18 apps.
Digne 30 league chances from 20 apps.
Gylfi 29 league chances from 25 apps.

For comparison, Doucoure is our fourth-highest, with 19 league chances from 25 apps.

IIRC, 16 of Gylfi's chances created have come from set-pieces, and 13 from open play.

Obviously this is just in the league.
13 from open play is really bad. For the point you're making I'd just leave him out. Our decent creative players are James and Digne.

13 from open play is really bad. For the point you're making I'd just leave him out. Our decent creative players are James and Digne.

I mean, it's not great, and that's part of the issue.

We rely on Gylfi to create stuff - one way or the other.

You can't pick and choose because they come from set-pieces. Digne has created a third of his chances from set-pieces, James is on 8 and then look at the assists he plays in for the goals in the Sheff Wed game, for example, which aren't counted in this.

It's fine slating Gylfi, cause we know how frustrating he can be, but the actual issue is we need those players who are way down to be creating more.

Doucoure is on 19 from 25 games
Iwobi on 15 from 25
Richarlison 14 from 24
DCL 12 from 25
Gomes 12 from 25

We can't be having so much of a gap, really.

I mean, it's not great, and that's part of the issue.

We rely on Gylfi to create stuff - one way or the other.

You can't pick and choose because they come from set-pieces. Digne has created a third of his chances from set-pieces, James is the same.

It's fine slating Gylfi, cause we know how frustrating he can be, but the actual issue is we need those players who are way down to be creating more.

Doucoure is on 19 from 25 games
Iwobi on 15 from 25
Richarlison 14 from 24
DCL 12 from 25
Gomes 12 from 25

We can't be having so much of a gap, really.
I feel like you can pick and choose because the difference for me between great set pieces and average ones over the course of the year might be 5 goals if you're lucky and between average and great in open play is some far greater number.

I feel like you can pick and choose because the difference for me between great set pieces and average ones over the course of the year might be 5 goals if you're lucky and between average and great in open play is some far greater number.

But statistically speaking (and with my eyes, too) we rely on Gylfi to create. That's part of the problem, to an extent, while also, our other players (and especially other midfielders) create nowhere near enough.

But statistically speaking (and with my eyes, too) we rely on Gylfi to create. That's part of the problem, to an extent, while also, our other players (and especially other midfielders) create nowhere near enough.
What I'm saying is he doesn't do it. It's why when James doesn't play our options are spawn a goal or lose/draw.

What I'm saying is he doesn't do it. It's why when James doesn't play our options are spawn a goal or lose/draw.

Well he's done it a fair bit this season but not enough.

All of this is helped by just being better going forward, though.

With good movement around him and getting the ball on the edge of the box, Gylfi will create. Doesn't do it enough, but we don't do those other things enough either. Which is the entire issue.

With good movement around him and getting the ball on the edge of the box, Gylfi will create. Doesn't do it enough, but we don't do those other things enough either. Which is the entire issue.
I really disagree. Gylfi has never been good enough aside from set plays. Even fixing the other things won't fix him.

that’s building a whole way of playing to create a set of circumstances that hardly happen now. It’s very rare a number 10 gets the ball on the edge of the box with time and space now. The best in that position in the league create these opportunities for themselves. We’ve had years of Siggurdson needing x, y, z for him to be at his best. He’ll never have it, and even if he did, he’s not really shown anything that would suggest he’d do anything with it. Apart from a couple of games recently he tends to under hit most passes, his free kicks haven’t been dangerous in years, and apart from the Leicester goal when was the last time he looked like scoring from distance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back