Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really disagree. Gylfi has never been good enough aside from set plays. Even fixing the other things won't fix him.

I mean he's assisted more goals from open play this season than he has set plays (all comps), but okay.

I generally agree that in general play he doesn't do enough. Get him the ball 20 yards out, he makes stuff happen, always has.

Bar James, is there anyone else in our squad that can play that pass he threads through for Richarlison v Southampton, for example?

And no, Iwobi can't do that. He'd hit it out for a throw.

If by stats you mean goals and assists sure. But Gylfi should never play deeper in midfield before Iwobi.

Don't think that's the argument.

If you play Gylfi in a 4-4-1-1 (as we saw in pretty much every game where he's actually played well this season) it suits him, both from an attacking and defensive (in terms of our shape) perspective.

Anywhere else he can be a liability, especially deeper as he hasn't got the legs or the passing range and can't get on the ball and run with it, either (which at least Iwobi can do).

But we're just talking about creation here and if you had to pick a player to have on the edge of the box with options on, you're never gonna be picking Iwobi over Gylfi.

Don't think that's the argument.

If you play Gylfi in a 4-4-1-1 (as we saw in pretty much every game where he's actually played well this season) it suits him, both from an attacking and defensive (in terms of our shape) perspective.

Anywhere else he can be a liability, especially deeper as he hasn't got the legs or the passing range and can't get on the ball and run with it, either (which at least Iwobi can do).

But we're just talking about creation here and if you had to pick a player to have on the edge of the box with options on, you're never gonna be picking Iwobi over Gylfi.
I know different topic.

I mean he's assisted more goals from open play this season than he has set plays (all comps), but okay.

I generally agree that in general play he doesn't do enough. Get him the ball 20 yards out, he makes stuff happen, always has.

Bar James, is there anyone else in our squad that can play that pass he threads through for Richarlison v Southampton, for example?

And no, Iwobi can't do that. He'd hit it out for a throw.
That pass is his only open play assist in the league and for the record I think if Iwobi played #10 for a stretch of games yes he'd do that a few times. But that's not what we're talking about right now. Sigurdsson somehow made a lot of people forget what he's about with that Tottenham aberration.

that’s building a whole way of playing to create a set of circumstances that hardly happen now. It’s very rare a number 10 gets the ball on the edge of the box with time and space now. The best in that position in the league create these opportunities for themselves. We’ve had years of Siggurdson needing x, y, z for him to be at his best. He’ll never have it, and even if he did, he’s not really shown anything that would suggest he’d do anything with it. Apart from a couple of games recently he tends to under hit most passes, his free kicks haven’t been dangerous in years, and apart from the Leicester goal when was the last time he looked like scoring from distance?
Again, this isn't the point. I'm not saying we should build our system around Gylfi - or James, for that matter (but that's because he can't stay fit).

In general, we need to start creating more from open play. That isn't about one player. It needs to be something that gets worked on.

At the moment, it isn't being, or more specifically, whatever they're working on isn't working.

That pass is his only open play assist in the league and for the record I think if Iwobi played #10 for a stretch of games yes he'd do that a few times. But that's not what we're talking about right now. Sigurdsson somehow made a lot of people forget what he's about with that Tottenham aberration.
It's not enough, I know we need better.

Point is, he's statistically still one of our better players going forward. THat's the entire issue with our attack, that we're so reliant on 3 players - and he's one of them.

Others need to step up and the manager needs to improve, too.

Again, this isn't the point. I'm not saying we should build our system around Gylfi - or James, for that matter (but that's because he can't stay fit).

In general, we need to start creating more from open play. That isn't about one player. It needs to be something that gets worked on.

At the moment, it isn't being, or more specifically, whatever they're working on isn't working.

Sometimes it comes down to having more creative players as well. We don’t have a right back who can cross a ball. We can have the best tactics in the world to free up the fullback but then they can’t cross a ball so that tactic isn’t available to us. We have two very good strikers but neither of them have good link up play so there’s no point trying to get them to do it. We don’t have any deep lying creative mids so we can’t play balls over the top. Basically the two options we have to attack in open play are to work Digne into space or for a number 10 to play a through ball and that’s basically what we’ve done all season plus set pieces. Better players means more attacking options. I’m sure some will push for getting Gomes Davies and Siggurdson to play some free flowing attacking football but that lot struggle to pass a ball or shoot, it’s not happening.

Iwobi can’t even beat the first man on a cross

Sometimes it comes down to having more creative players as well. We don’t have a right back who can cross a ball. We can have the best tactics in the world to free up the fullback but then they can’t cross a ball so that tactic isn’t available to us. We have two very good strikers but neither of them have good link up play so there’s no point trying to get them to do it. We don’t have any deep lying creative mids so we can’t play balls over the top. Basically the two options we have to attack in open play are to work Digne into space or for a number 10 to play a through ball and that’s basically what we’ve done all season plus set pieces. Better players means more attacking options. I’m sure some will push for getting Gomes Davies and Siggurdson to play some free flowing attacking football but that lot struggle to pass a ball or shoot, it’s not happening.
I fully agree.

But we should still have enough cutting edge to take more than 4 points from 6 games against Fulham, Newcastle and Burnley.

If we were creating stuff or looking likely to and we just weren't quite getting the final ball right (Fulham, Brighton do that a lot, for example), I'd be less concerned. But we don't, mate. And that means, to my mind, it's not 100% just a case of needing better players. You can still get poor players to work on certain moves etc that they know will get them into good positions.

I know it's been difficult, with lack of training time etc, but recently we've had individual breaks of 8 and 7 days respectively.

It's not enough, I know we need better.

Point is, he's statistically still one of our better players going forward. THat's the entire issue with our attack, that we're so reliant on 3 players - and he's one of them.

Others need to step up and the manager needs to improve, too.
I'd rather play Doucoure as a #10. My list of Everton #10s right now: James, Iwobi, Bernard, Doucoure, using a system without one, Gylfi. He's so detrimental and his ability to pop up with an occasional moment hides that 95% of the time he's a liability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back