Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do i expect us to be 4th in the league for wins after 38 games?

I dont expect anything, so its a peculiar question.

What relevance are those statistics to the teams placing in the league?

You dont need to have higher position or more shots to win games. What you do need to do is finish off the chances which come to you.
The relevance is that there are two elements in play, chance creation and chance conversion. Ideally you want to be slightly above average for both. That way you have headroom to improve.

We create very few chances but are riding high because our chance conversion has been ridiculous. That is unsustainable. Look at shots, shots on target or possession and we are relegation candidates.

Ancelotti has improved players, and will continue to do so.

We lost a game to a team that has won 24 of their last 25 games in all competitions. We did so while missing several of our best players and with enormous gulf in quality and strength in depth.

For those saying we should've "had more of a go", most of these people are exactly the same people who piled on Martinez for not knowing when and how to defend and change their approach.

Do you think Ancelotti wants to send teams out to only be hard to beat? A man who has won countless trophies with practically every team he has been a part of across a career as both a player and a manager? No. He would obviously like to mix it up. And at times we have. But we currently do not have the personnel to be able to do both. And even if we did, City are just on another level. They ended up with De Bruyne, Mahrez, Gundogan, and Foden in midfield. Every single 1 of them would walk into our side. Not 1 of our players would get anywhere near there's.

It will take time. I really don't know what certain people expect. It's a level if delusion that genuinely astounds me.
Our players will never be as good as theirs. What is the plan?

The word expect is what you're hung up on?

Do you think it will happen?

Another peculiar question...ive already said i dont expect anything.

Do i think we'll have the 4th highest wins at the end of the season?

No idea. We do now though.

The relevance is that there are two elements in play, chance creation and chance conversion. Ideally you want to be slightly above average for both. That way you have headroom to improve.

We create very few chances but are riding high because our chance conversion has been ridiculous. That is unsustainable. Look at shots, shots on target or possession and we are relegation candidates.

Thats not how football works.

Well he’s going to have to deal with much younger players this transfer window, we simply have to revert back to our business model, buying young improving and moving on.

Unless Moshiri is going to hand him £150 Million we will have to.

Our players will never be as good as theirs. What is the plan?

Continue to build, continue to improve, have patience, stop being negative about the best manager and some of the best players we've had for decades.

Carlo has already said what we have all thought. He was annoyed at the intensity in the winnable games we've lost. This is where we need to improve first. He's an intelligent man, and he will understand that some of these players he currently has at his disposal are not what we need going forward. But he is also a diplomatic man and knows he has to field a team every week.

Ancelotti has improved players, and will continue to do so.

We lost a game to a team that has won 24 of their last 25 games in all competitions. We did so while missing several of our best players and with enormous gulf in quality and strength in depth.

For those saying we should've "had more of a go", most of these people are exactly the same people who piled on Martinez for not knowing when and how to defend and change their approach.

Do you think Ancelotti wants to send teams out to only be hard to beat? A man who has won countless trophies with practically every team he has been a part of across a career as both a player and a manager? No. He would obviously like to mix it up. And at times we have. But we currently do not have the personnel to be able to do both. And even if we did, City are just on another level. They ended up with De Bruyne, Mahrez, Gundogan, and Foden in midfield. Every single 1 of them would walk into our side. Not 1 of our players would get anywhere near there's.

It will take time. I really don't know what certain people expect. It's a level if delusion that genuinely astounds me.
It's absolutely nothing to do with tonight's game

It's about Newcastle, West Ham, Burnley, Southampton, Fulham and Leeds more than anything

I think the issue is that Moshiri wants to go and spend money in the same way that City's owners and Abramovich did. But unfortunately ffp came in and the problem with it, is that we are already 10 years behind the likes of City and Chelsea in so many departments.

But ffp is actually unfair when you consider that those sides have already had the benefit of it not being there when taken over and managed to put everything in place. Whereas we are having to do everything by the book and can't invest the kind of investment necessary to bridge the gap due to the rules. We are having to wait for expiring contracts and create ridiculous loopholes such as new stadium naming rights just to officially balance the books to a level acceptable by ffp.

But how is it fair that the competition allowed teams like City and Chelsea to get themselves into a position of being a so called top 6 club but now when we get investment we aren't allowed to do what they once did to reach that level.

When City were at the stage of development that we are now with their new found riches. They were allowed to sign the worlds best up and coming talent. Aguero, Silva, yaya toure etc whereas we are signing players who are talented but more on the decline and their best days are behind them. Or players who have potential but a gamble whether they will become good or not. I think usmanov/moshiri would like to do go harder in the market, but its simply not allowed to under the rules. And that means that its harder and harder and less and less likely for teams to bridge the gap.

Last edited:
Genuinely think the gameplan was right tonight, for what we had available.

It's more the 'what we had available' that worries me. That's not just down to injuries.

However, it was always going to be settled by them turning to their bench, so there is obviously a clear flaw in the plan there unless we'd managed to get 2 goals ahead which, lets face it, was never likely.

Another peculiar question...ive already said i dont expect anything.

Do i think we'll have the 4th highest wins at the end of the season?

No idea. We do now though.

Thats not how football works.
It does eventually catch up with you Zat because you put loads of pressure on the other end of the pitch to keep clean sheets.

Well he’s going to have to deal with much younger players this transfer window, we simply have to revert back to our business model, buying young improving and moving on.

Unless Moshiri is going to hand him £150 Million we will have to.

Continue to build, continue to improve, have patience, stop being negative about the best manager and some of the best players we've had for decades.

Carlo has already said what we have all thought. He was annoyed at the intensity in the winnable games we've lost. This is where we need to improve first. He's an intelligent man, and he will understand that some of these players he currently has at his disposal are not what we need going forward. But he is also a diplomatic man and knows he has to field a team every week.

I think the issue is that Moshiri wants to go and spend money in the same way that City's owners and Abramovich did. But unfortunately ffp came in and the problem with it, is that we are already 10 years behind the likes of City and Chelsea in so many departments.

But ffp is actually unfair when you consider that those sides have already had the benefit of it not being there when taken over and managed to put everything in place. Whereas we are having to do everything by the book and can't invest the kind of investment necessary to bride the gap due to the rules. We are having to wait for expiring contracts and create ridiculous loopholes such as new stadium naming rights just to officially balance the books to a level acceptable by ffp.

But how is it fair that the competition allowed teams like City and Chelsea to get themselves into a position of being a so called top 6 club but now when we get investment we aren't allowed to do what they once did to reach that level.

In terms of the actual money needed and providing every transfer works out as planned.

If we just go 3 at the back and only sign top notch young players then we'd need £35mil for a RB, £40-60mil for a CB and perhaps £80-100mil for 2 CMs.

£155-200mil and we'd have a very good team and squad.

If the rumours are true and Moshiri banrolls £100mil and we can shift out players then we wont be far off.

But City are not the target, the teams to get up against now are Leicester, RS, inited, chelsea and west ham.
We will probably never have as much talent as the RS, United or Chelsea either. And even if we do there are teams like Spurs, Leicester or Arsenal that could build a stronger team too. It is just tough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back