Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps a point in this, but I’d point to the fact that at times this season we were saying certain players had never played better.

DCL is in his best ever form
As recently as Anfield we were saying we’d never seen a better Tom Davies
Siggurdson has apparently had his best season since his first one in the team
Holgate had his best form last season under Carlo and at times this season when fully fit
Godfrey has improved
Even Pickford has been better since his injury break
We have all said that Keane and Mina have played their best football this season
Even Coleman at times has looked back to his old self according to some

On the flip side to that I think Richarlison hasn’t hit the heights he’s capable of and Digne is about level where he’s normally at.

So it begs the question what more could we be doing. You want a manager to improve players, he’s undoubtedly done that for most through coaching compared to where they were under Silva. The defensive organisation has improved, the set piece organisation, the efficiency upfront had improved (until Palace).

All these indicators that you’d expect from a manager are pointing in the right direction but we have a problem thy the football is terrible at the moment.

Now we could say that Ancelotti is an awful tactician but you don’t win what he has, even with good players, if you’re poor at tactics. Only Zidane has won three modern CLs. Every top manager with unlimited budgets at the best teams have tried and most don’t even have one so he’s clearly not tactically inept.

if it’s also not down to the coaching of the players to improve (which it doesn’t look like it is based on individual and collective improvements in form) then we are left with one inescapable factor.

The players are not good enough. They can’t stop making individual errors, they’re too poor to carry out tactical instructions, lazy in concentration, and not mobile enough to ply different ways or be rotated. Not good enough.

We can keep crying all day about whether Carlo is the manager he was ten years ago, but seriously, if we gave him Chelsea’s squad do we think he’d be playing football like this? Even Leicester’s squad. I’d even wager Arsenal’s squad. He’d have all those teams in the top 4 easily.

As a fan base we have to stop wishing for this Hail Mary pass of a miracle manager to come along and turn us from 30 year also fans to a top 4 team over night. This guy almost did it but he’s fallen short now in April.

Back him with some premier league standard players and we might actually go somewhere. Whilst Davies Coleman Keane Siggurdson Gomes Bernard are getting first team minutes for Everton we are going nowhere under any manager in world football.
I applaud this wholeheartedly! Great post, on point!

You're maybe taking this from social media mainly though? There are only a very small handful of posters on GOT who want the manager out. There are always going to a few and that's fine. But I'd say well over 90% support the manager so it's just not true to say the support is toxic. The results this season show how much we need the Goodison crowd.

The Scheniderlein thing isn't really relevant either. There's not likely to be any correlation between someone booing Schneiderlein and wanting Ancelotti sacked. They are completely unrelated issues. I didn't agree with the booing before he came on the pitch but he put in several unacceptable performances where he deserved criticism. He was one of the most gutless players we had during the post-Moyes era.

I think Goodison will be a big asset next season personally. The crowd will be behind the manager.
The problem with that is that when the supporters return to Goodison, so do supporters of all the other teams. So our home record improves, but our away record is significantly worse. We all know that the lily whites will crumble as soon as the pressure ratchets up.

Perhaps a point in this, but I’d point to the fact that at times this season we were saying certain players had never played better.

Holgate had his best form last season under Carlo and at times this season when fully fit
Godfrey has improved
We have all said that Keane and Mina have played their best football this season

On the flip side to that I think Richarlison hasn’t hit the heights he’s capable of and Digne is about level where he’s normally at.

So it begs the question what more could we be doing. You want a manager to improve players, he’s undoubtedly done that for most through coaching compared to where they were under Silva. The defensive organisation has improved, the set piece organisation, the efficiency upfront had improved (until Palace).

All these indicators that you’d expect from a manager are pointing in the right direction but we have a problem thy the football is terrible at the moment.

Now we could say that Ancelotti is an awful tactician but you don’t win what he has, even with good players, if you’re poor at tactics. Only Zidane has won three modern CLs. Every top manager with unlimited budgets at the best teams have tried and most don’t even have one so he’s clearly not tactically inept.

if it’s also not down to the coaching of the players to improve (which it doesn’t look like it is based on individual and collective improvements in form) then we are left with one inescapable factor.

The players are not good enough. They can’t stop making individual errors, they’re too poor to carry out tactical instructions, lazy in concentration, and not mobile enough to ply different ways or be rotated. Not good enough.

We can keep crying all day about whether Carlo is the manager he was ten years ago, but seriously, if we gave him Chelsea’s squad do we think he’d be playing football like this? Even Leicester’s squad. I’d even wager Arsenal’s squad. He’d have all those teams in the top 4 easily.

As a fan base we have to stop wishing for this Hail Mary pass of a miracle manager to come along and turn us from 30 year also fans to a top 4 team over night. This guy almost did it but he’s fallen short now in April.

Back him with some premier league standard players and we might actually go somewhere. Whilst Davies Coleman Keane Siggurdson Gomes Bernard are getting first team minutes for Everton we are going nowhere under any manager in world football.
We agree on one thing, and that is that the owners must give Ancelotti proper support in the next transfer window. If we want to be a real top four candidate we have to spend a lot of money. Otherwise, we disagree as to whether there has been any particular progress. It's probably because we look at different indicators.

Godfrey has improved

Post of the year right here.

I'm not sure if its Everton being frustratingly average or just the current world situation we find ourselves in but it all feels a bit nouty in here recently.

One of the joys of using a forum (rather than something like Twitter) is it gives the opportunity to debate certain points, put across your own perspective or critically analyse the opinions of others.

We seem to be entering an environment where if one persons view differs from another, they are instantly castigated and placed into a neat little box on one side of the fence or the other.

Making a critical point about Carlo Ancelotti doesn't mean you want him sacked, just as making a positive point doesn't mean you're delighted with the current form/playing style - these are all just opinions, and we should be able to discuss the pros and cons of them in a constructive, meaningful way.

My personal opinion on Carlo is - I really like the man, I think he 'understands' Everton and I am proud to call him our manager. I was delighted when we appointed him and still very much want him to be our manager. That isn't to say that i'm not a little disappointed with the way our season has gone, I find some of his substitutions/team selections baffling and I really wish we had a semblance of style to our play.

I tend to think that it's merely a case of 'right man, wrong time'. If Carlo would have been appointed when Koeman was (a.k.a on the eve of a the biggest spending spree the club has ever seen) - I firmly believe that we'd be playing in the CL right now. Unfortunately, we appointed Carlo at a time when the squad was overloaded with non-athletic, non-motivated players and the purse strings had been tightened. Unless we see a massive upsurge in the amount we spend this summer, it will possibly be a struggle for Carlo next season too. In hindsight, in a perfect world we would have appointed a manager capable of motivating and improving average players into something better than previously shown - Unfortunately, I don't think Carlo is that manager.

When we appointed Brands, I seem to remember conversations (or maybe just a general overarching idea) that he would mould and formulate a particular playing style and personality throughout the club. This would essentially mean that managers were less important than the club, as the players would be purchased with a particular style in mind - and the managers would be almost interchangeable. Has this idea just been completely binned off?
It may be the case that Brands and Carlo don't share a philosophy. I think it was @ForeverBlue92 who noted Moshiri stated he'd appointed a manager to stave off fan's shouting for him to be sacked every two games (ironic given the state of some of the shouts in this thread). Kinda makes it hard for a club wide approach.

Your post is far too sensible by the way. Down with this kind of thing!

Last night clearly highlights just how well ancelotti is doing....
Our squad is threadbare when it comes to quality...

We're still in the process of transitioning out some of the expensive dross accumulated by previous owners, besic, bolasie, walcott, tosun etc

We're still in with a decent shout of european football,
Realistically we should be aiming to be regular europa, challenging for top 4 over the next two seasons

Our best players are relatively young with a high ceiling to improve...2-3 decent ready made signings, sort out whatever's going on with these injuries and we'll be flying

I'm not a big stats fan, but that just shows the lack of depth in the squad and the abysmal recruitment since Martinez first season.

We have a crippling injury list at the minute, but this season has shown that even 2 injuries can completely disrupt the whole team. I wish I could forget how much money we have spent to end up in this position.

Spurs are a good case study though aren’t they. Look how quickly they fell away from the team Redknapp built with Bale Modric etc. under AVB. Then Pochettino got extremely fortunate that Kane was coming through just as he took over and the rest of the top 6 was faltering. He did a brilliant job with them but no trophies, and as soon as it levelled off a tiny hit they’re right back to being outside the top 4 with a poor quality squad. They just can’t do what United Chelsea City and Liverpool did which is season after season throw huge money at every position until success comes.

We’re building from an even lower base. A side used to the bottom half with not much quality in it at all. This is going to be a long journey for us to truly crack the elite. Even if we break in once we don’t have the squad depth to sustain it over the long term. We need sustained long term investment in this squad to get up with the big 4 teams on a consistent basis. Yes we could be doing better performance wise at the moment but the challenge in front of everyone at the club is massive.

Basically, the Koeman debacle set us back longer than expected and failed management.

Whatever Carlo does IMO we still stick with him as long as he still wants to be here. We need stability and a plan.

Last night clearly highlights just how well ancelotti is doing....
Our squad is threadbare when it comes to quality...

We're still in the process of transitioning out some of the expensive dross accumulated by previous owners, besic, bolasie, walcott, tosun etc

We're still in with a decent shout of european football,
Realistically we should be aiming to be regular europa, challenging for top 4 over the next two seasons

Our best players are relatively young with a high ceiling to improve...2-3 decent ready made signings, sort out whatever's going on with these injuries and we'll be flying
Agreed, it needs a Sprinkling of quality, confidence will then improve others

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back