Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
They forced Olsen into two saves and really should have tested him early on when Keane mistimed the bounce over the top and Wilson (I think) was through. They hardly did anything other than that but it was more than we did.

One save in the first half, then everything else came after the pen. The game was clearly set up to be a pinch a goal job. But the usual heads went.

Don't think any team deserved to win up until the pen.

I've never understood why he can never be criticised. When we win it's "Carlo Fantastico...!" when we lose it's not down to him, he along with the players out there today take the blame. Now I know we missing our best players and that's a major factor, but it shouldn't mean that people are not allowed to have a pop.

Its because the reasons for having a pop are irrational.

The alternatives were to play Gordon Iwobi or Bernard. The chances of the doing anything different were minimal because they don't perform on a regular basis.

The tactics were working but we got undone by a soft pen and silly decision by Gomes and then an horrific individual error by Mina. Players don't take responsibility on the field so they deserve the blame entirely.

Problem is mate, those attacking players were either injured or suspended.

I've noticed you aren't naming any footballers, so unless you think Iwobi, Gordon or Bernard starting ahead of... [insert player name here] would have made such a difference as to win the game they I struggle to put much blame on Ancelotti, personally.

Even with our lineup, Doucoure and Sigurdsson should have been much closer to DCL and we should have gone direct earlier and crossed from wide earlier.

Instead we just fannied about with it the whole of the first half in the middle and didn't look at all threatening. The play was staid, at best.

We came up against a solid, low block and did nothing to turn them around.

I think Nkounkou was played out of position and it neutralised his effectiveness. One of the three you mention could have played out there with Nkounkou at left back, or Delph played at left back from the start to cross from deeper.

I'm very concerned about the lack pace that Ancelotti has contributed with his signings this summer.

They are very good signings Allan and James, but they come into a squad which already has players who lack pace and who get game time like Sigurdsson, Gomes, Delph, Mina and Davies.

The more we see of a Richarlison-less starting line up the more you realise how much we rely on him. His running basically makes up for some of his team mates.

The alternatives were to play Gordon Iwobi or Bernard. The chances of the doing anything different were minimal because they don't perform on a regular basis.

The tactics were working but we got undone by a soft pen and silly decision by Gomes and then an horrific individual error by Mina. Players don't take responsibility on the field so they deserve the blame entirely.

How were the tactics working? We did nothing for the entirety of the first half.

One save in the first half, then everything else came after the pen. The game was clearly set up to be a pinch a goal job. But the usual heads went.

Don't think any team deserved to win up until the pen.

Agree with that. But for the penalty it was stale boring like for like game going nowhere.

My only gripe with the game was we needed someone like Bernard on from the start of the second half, just someone to run around and create space so others can get the ball, we didn’t have that. Regardless of who stood in for Gomes be it Gordon, Iwobi, Bernard I think having someone on like that prior to their goal would have been great. Obviously the game changed after the goal.

How were the tactics working? We did nothing for the entirety of the first half.

We had only given up one chance against our own goal and it was from our own corner. The tactics were working. We had started to offer some threat at start of second half too and Sigurdsson fluffed a decent chance.

Did you expect our useless reserve players to batter them today? And if so, why?

The tactics were working but we got undone by a soft pen and silk decision by Gomes and then an horrific individual error by Mina. Players don't take responsibility on the field so they deserve the blame entirely.

I'm not paid millions a year to pick players or set - up a team mate (so don't ask me. lol) but you can see some merit in those saying he got team selection wrong, no width, weird substitutions. I can see what he was trying to do in the game (eventually) firstly don't lose the game, keep it tight and try and nick one from a set - piece/ breakaway.

Still think he got it wrong today. Some of the selection was alright.. but as soon as I saw Gomes, Sigurdsson & Delph in the positions they were I was immediately questioning where the hell he was expecting the attacking threat to come from...

We had only given up one chance against our own goal and it was from our own corner. The tactics were working. We had started to offer some threat at start of second half too and Sigurdsson fluffed a decent chance.

Did you expect our useless reserve players to batter them today? And if so, why?

Did we even have a chance in the first half?

I would have liked us to not play in a way that perfectly suited their 3-5-2.

I would have liked some support in and around DCL and for us to go more direct earlier. For more crosses from wide earlier.

Basically go over or around their massed defence.

I don't think anyone expected us to better them but it was a really, really poor offering.

4 starters out and 3 of them are our creativity. Gomes gives and pen and second goal is from a deflection that Mina should have stopped outside the box. Carlo is blameless for today. People saying Gomes, Sig and Delph in the first 11 made them loose faith in the game. Gordon is not a centre mid! Who else should he have played? The u23s?

It's completely reasonable to consider that the manager got it wrong, while we were up against it from the outset with the absentees. Playing so narrow with only one to aim for in the box was never going to create a load of chances and, if you're going to make a change once you go 1-0 down in the 56' minute, then you may as well have made it at half time.

Along the same lines, if you're gonna play for a point, then you better make sure you get it.

Did we even have a chance in the first half?

I would have liked us to not play in a way that perfectly suited their 3-5-2.

I would have liked some support in and around DCL and for us to go more direct earlier. For more crosses from wide earlier.

Basically go over or around their massed defence.

I don't think anyone expected us to better them but it was a really, really poor offering.

I would really like all those things too but who were the players going to do it?

I look at that bench today and my word is it average.

We were missing both our full backs and both our wide players. Players got opportunities as a result but were absolutely awful and didn't take them. They have to have a look at themselves in the mirror and decide if they are good enough to play for Everton.

4 starters out and 3 of them are our creativity. Gomes gives and pen and second goal is from a deflection that Mina should have stopped outside the box. Carlo is blameless for today. People saying Gomes, Sig and Delph in the first 11 made them loose faith in the game. Gordon is not a centre mid! Who else should he have played? The u23s?

Well he didn't need to play five centre midfielders did he? For all their faults/ inexperience, there were 3 wide men on the bench and 2 strikers. Plenty of opportunity to pick a different system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back