Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
They had 37% of the ball.

For me - Gomes cost us that today. Not Ancelotti.

Without that Gomes pen - we'd have come away with a result - a very decent away result with the context of so many key players missing and it's that level of pragmatism I'm glad we have in a manager.

We were the team controlling the game, then we gave away a needless corner which resulted in a naive tackle and a (very very soft) pen.

If players stopped making basic errors we'd be fine but these players simply cannot be trusted.

The tactics were dull and pragmatic but were working to an extent. Longer it goes at nil nil the more I expect us to find a goal.

Richarlison, James, Digne, Coleman, Holgate.

That’s 3/4 of our first choice back 4. That’s our captain. That’s our two best attacking players who would probably walk into any team in the world. We can’t just pass it off like this wouldn’t affect our performance.

That’s the core of our team.

Without any of those players we’d pretty much have no goals at all this season.

Digne - 2 Assists
James - 3 Goals, 3 Assists
Richarlison 1 Goal, 2 Assists
Coleman - 1 Assist

How many other teams could lose the core of their first team and still match other premier league teams? It’s impossible. Perspective is needed massively here.

Everton without Digne, Richarlison, Coleman and Rodriguez. and still having aload of deadwood players with no depth. and people are blaming ancelotti.

Gordon may have helped. but i dont think by much.
I'd rather we lose while playing Gordon Simms and Niels than lose while playing Sigurdson Iwobi and Delph... At if we play the first three we will have willing skilful pacy runners instead of carthorses.

Rather we lose trying to win than to lose with three slow average slugs.

They had 37% of the ball.

For me - Gomes cost us that today. Not Ancelotti.

Without that Gomes pen - we'd have come away with a result - a very decent away result with the context of so many key players missing and it's that level of pragmatism I'm glad we have in a manager.
We gave them nothing to worry about. Most of our possession was in the middle of the park with sideways and backwards passing.

I just want to see an actual reaction from Carlo- even if it doesn’t involve Gordon. Play Niels with Digne on the left or further advanced- do something. Stop rewarding the likes of Iwobi/Gomes/Bernard/Sigurdsson for not pulling their weight and making massive gaffes.

It sets just as bad a precedent as it would have had he let Gordon sway him by going to his office.

He tried pushing Niels further left wing today with Delph dropping to cover.

Ultimately - the creativity/width in our team just wasn't available today. Digne, Richarlison and Rodriguez. Even Coleman offers some balance down the right that Kenny can't.

You're telling me what happened, you're not telling me what Ancelotti got wrong, and what he should have done differently.

Primarily, we shouldn't have played 5 central midfielders, and tried to pass through the middle of a team with 3 central midfielders and 3 centre halves.

We should have allowed our flying attacking left full back to attack from a deeper full back position and give their wing back something difficult to deal with.

We should have had attacking players supporting DCL, rather than leaving him on his bill while we passed it side to side and backwards in the middle of the park.

We should have had someone running in behind in the channels either side of their back 3, supporting DCL.

We should have started swinging in balls from wide areas much earlier on.

That's true. But we had enough quality to still win there today. The opposition were dreadful. There for the taking. Playing Gomes up front and wide was an abysmal use of resources by Ancelotti. He is of course an asset (CA), but he looked like he didn't know what to do with him because he already had a central two midfielders in mind. Either play Gordon or go to a different shape.

Sorry, although he has my total support, he ballsed up today. And his comments about the GK situation are just bizarre.

We lost because of Gomes simply as that. I wouldn’t say a win was a must because we had so many starters out but a draw should be the result.

Primarily, we shouldn't have played 5 central midfielders, and tried to pass through the middle of a team with 3 central midfielders and 3 centre halves.

We should have allowed our flying attacking left full back to attack from a deeper full back position and give their wing back something difficult to deal with.

We should have had attacking players supporting DCL, rather than leaving him on his bill while we passed it side to side and backwards in the middle of the park.

We should have had someone running in behind in the channels either side of their back 3, supporting DCL.

Problem is mate, those attacking players were either injured or suspended.

I've noticed you aren't naming any footballers, so unless you think Iwobi, Gordon or Bernard starting ahead of... [insert player name here] would have made such a difference as to win the game they I struggle to put much blame on Ancelotti, personally.

Another thing I noticed is when Niels did manage to make a great run we didn’t look towards him or attempt to play him in. Part of that falls on Gomes and Sigurdsson for failing to make the right decisions in dangerous areas. That was probably our only ticket with our lack of pace in the middle and we didn’t take it.

As far as I see it, we were unlikely to get a result today given the absences of too many key players. The remaining players have proven over and over again that they are mediocre. Why they would be expected to beat another set of mediocre players, suffering less disruption, is beyond me. However, our very successful and expensive coach needs to find a solution or else insist that he is properly backed by a competent director of football and big money. Today, there was no solution. We didn't or couldn't strengthen the attack or right side of midfield in the window just gone. We didn't replace enough of the dead wood. Our subs bench today cost in excess of €80m. None of the players who comprised that fee came in under the current coach.

Given their respective track records, I tend to err on the side of the coach here. However, I think he's got to be disappointed he couldn't get a point today. If he got his tactics right, as some say he did, then we still lost largely because a midfield player who we all know is not up to the mental challenge of top level football was spaced out in the penalty box. His selection is on the coach. The only defence for Ancelotti is when you start identifying the available players who are "not up to it", you soon realise you cannot field 11 players. That's on the director of football.

Some weird backs to the wall defending of Carlo today.

I've never understood why he can never be criticised. When we win it's "Carlo Fantastico...!" when we lose it's not down to him, he along with the players out there today take the blame. Now I know we're missing our best players and that's a major factor (I thought we were a tad negative) but it shouldn't mean that people are not allowed to have a pop.

Problem is mate, those attacking players were either injured or suspended.

I've noticed you aren't naming any footballers, so unless you think Iwobi, Gordon or Bernard starting ahead of... [insert player name here] would have made such a difference as to win the game they I struggle to put much blame on Ancelotti, personally.

If not that silly penalty it would be 0-0. Just ashamed we gave away a point.

Another thing I noticed is when Niels did manage to make a great run we didn’t look towards him or attempt to play him in. Part of that falls on Gomes and Sigurdsson for failing to make the right decisions in dangerous areas. That was probably our only ticket with our lack of pace in the middle and we didn’t take it.
Move over Carlo we've found your replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back