Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to have to look now back at the games but when Tosun returned from injury there were 2-3 where he lashed on Tosun and played 4 strikers and 2 midfielders and it, guess what, never worked.

On that bit in bold, there's no way there was any logic to certain games this season btw.

Again, it's ignoring stuff because Carlo's great. Yeah, he is, doesn't mean he hasn't made some mistakes. He set us up in genuinely one of the worst systems and shapes I've seen an Everton manager do (and I include Allardyce in that) away at Newcastle, and then played exactly the same awful system at home to Fulham. He decided Iwobi could play left wing-back and Davies could play right-wing back in a game against Leeds. He regularly plays Gomes, James and Gylfi in the same midfield.

Love the guy to bits but I've not got blinkers on.

It's a weird season though, and the standard across the board atm is very, very poor. Everyone's knackered, and we do need players. So I'm taking all of these caveats on board and I am not suggesting Ancelotti can be judged as being ready to be backed or sacked or anything daft like that, as he's going nowhere (rightly so) and I believe he'll get us tangible success.
Gomes has 0 pace
Siggy has 0 pace
Davies has 0 pace
Allan had 0 pace
James has 0 pace

how are you going to play fast attacking football when your midfield has no pace? Our midfield is the weakest in the league, we also have 1 RB who end product is generally terrible and is old(for a footballer)
We spent alot of the season with 4 CB at the back

Leicester have had out...

Vardy, Maddison, Pereira, Soyuncu, Evans, Fofana, Ndidi, Barnes, Justin, Castagne

Off the top of my head, that's all of their key players at one point or another.

We aren't the only team to struggle with injuries mate.
Shows how poor the squad is ,and I doubt Leicester have had 5-6 first teamers out at the same time

Chelsea have an away game at City and a home game against Leicester
West ham have us and WBA Brighton ,Burnley and Southampton
Even the scum have United and 4 easy fixtures
If we win 5 out of 6 even that may not get us top 4 and we would not be guaranteed top 6
If we win all 6 we are 5th minimum.

Very rarely does 38 points get you relegated

This is basically the model that Allardyce and Pulis operate under:

- 38 points probably keeps you up
- You gain two points for a win and lose one for a loss
- We can stay up losing more than we win as long as we get a point regularly
- Therefore, it is more important to keep them out than it is to net ourselves, all else equal

It's a low mean, low variance approach unlike the Leeds go-for-broke approach, which has a higher mean but higher variance.

City away ??
Cannot see it

It's almost certainly a dead rubber for them, even if they spend some of their cushion prioritizing CL.

If Pep has the trophy and can somehow see off Liverpool or Chelsea from the CL before a ball is kicked by blooding youth and gifting us the points, that looks very attractive indeed.

Breaking multiple disgusting records. That span decades not even a full season. Doing things we haven't done since the 90s. Keep going carlo. There's still something we haven't done since the 90s. And no better man who's won it all to do so.

Why? What the point in sticking with a formation that most of the players can’t play and you keep getting beat?
Football about winning and that what matters and he wants Europe. We have managers with styles and it’s never got us anywhere.

It's not about a formation.

Teams play different formations all the time but still stick to the same principles.

I like Carlo's flexibility. I just don't think 2-3 new players are going to turn us into a free-flowing, possession based team or a high pressing team or something along those lines.

You can implement that model without having the exact players. I just don't think he wants to.

Again, I don't think that's a bad thing. I just think people saying it's just a case of needing new players are simplifying it a bit too much.

Gomes has 0 pace
Siggy has 0 pace
Davies has 0 pace
Allan had 0 pace
James has 0 pace

how are you going to play fast attacking football when your midfield has no pace? Our midfield is the weakest in the league, we also have 1 RB who end product is generally terrible and is old(for a footballer)
We spent alot of the season with 4 CB at the back

We played with pace through midfield v Spurs? We moved the ball quickly, we pressed high?

Davies and Allan gave a foundation and that pushed Gylfi and James on, so they were doing their work in the final third rather than the middle third.

Against Arsenal he brought Gomes in for Davies (and then Delph on???) so suddenly our midfield went back to not having that foundation and instead being pretty cramped.

I know we need better players. But it's not the only factor.

Isn't it mad that we're saying our midfield is the weakest in the league yet in the last two summer windows we've spent around £80m on it?

For their many faults, these players can be capable of attacking patterns of play and building moves. We just don't see it enough. I'm happy to say the players aren't good enough, I just also think that more could be being done in that regard too.

Atm, if James has an off day, or isn't fit, we don't really have any creativity. I don't think that's good enough from anyone involved tbh.

I saw good things v Spurs and suppose it would have been nice to see that carry on, in some regard, against Arsenal. We need to start getting Digne into dangerous positions at the byline/in the box, like we do with Coleman occassionally. We need to start playing the ball quicker through midfield. I appreciate they aren't 'quick' players but you don't need to be rapid to not take 3/4 touches when one or two will do.

But, we got the points so if we can see some nice attacking stuff v Villa but get the result to boot, then hopefully it's the start of seeing some better stuff in the run-in and something to really build on for next year.

Last edited:
Shows how poor the squad is ,and I doubt Leicester have had 5-6 first teamers out at the same time

At the start of the season they had

Pereira
Ndidi
Maddison
Soyuncu

all out, and they'd sold Chilwell

They've had plenty of injuries and plenty of players being injured at the same time.

Not having this 'woe is Everton' line with the injuries. Let's just sort it out and start work on trying to ensure we don't get this volume of injuries again.

Part of that is going to be signing new players and those new players have to be like Godfrey - younger, powerful, able to play consistently and not drop their physical level. Also takes the strain off the likes of Doucoure if we bring in an athletic midfielder, given (since Gbamin's latest setback) he's the only one we have who is actually athletic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back