Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s hard to tell as what happened on Friday could of happened in any of the pervious 26 but didn’t. There been times be been beat 7-0 and 4-1 there, we been there played really well then laco hits a stunner and within a few minutes we lost 2-0.
when was the last time we got luck like that? Not just at a top 6 ground but anywhere
I think that's the key though. The top teams usually have top class players, so you can be doing well in a game - even bossing it - and then out of nowhere a Van Persie or a Lacazette or whoever pulls something out of the bag and suddenly the game's gone. Quite simply, Arsenal on friday didn't have any of those players. For about half of the period we haven't won there Arsenal were one of the top 2 sides in the country, for almost all of the period they've been one of the top 4 sides in the country, and they're now genuinely going to struggle to finish in the top half. It's honestly as simple as them no longer being better than us.

Recent bit of news I seen was that Sven Goran Ericsonngave Carlo a massive thumbs up. Pointing out that way back was his manager and If Sven had a club Carlo would be his manager. Apparently nudged Moshiri in that direction.

Great year to be Carlo.. all the credit for beating Arsenal, Spurs, Liverpool and Chelsea ... none of the responsibility for losing to Saints, Newcastle, Fulham and Burnley.. :coffee:
Losing to them sides is an everton tradition. Its in the fabric. I'd love to give carlo credit for them loses but we do that all the time. He gets credited for breaking dreadful records like beating spurs away first time in 14 years. Beat Liverpool away first time 21 years. Beat arsenal away first time in 25 years. Did the double over arsenal first time in god knows 25+ years anyway. Broke an away record that hasn't been bested on 30 years. So thats 5 depressingly bad records hanging over our head he took away most spanning multiple decades. And he comes in and takes care of them hasn't had a full season yet! Its mind numbingly astonishing. And turns out, I looked into his history and he's won everything in the game Cross multiple top European leagues so it's not a fluke.

5 points off champions league with a game in hand. Might have to go back 16 years to be doing that well in April in terms of champions league contention.

Praise him. But get on your knees before you do.

Losing to them sides is an everton tradition. Its in the fabric. I'd love to give carlo credit for them loses but we do that all the time. He gets credited for breaking dreadful records like beating spurs away first time in 14 years. Beat Liverpool away first time 21 years. Beat arsenal away first time in 25 years. Did the double over arsenal first time in god knows 25+ years anyway. Broke an away record that hasn't been bested on 30 years. So thats 5 depressingly bad records hanging over our head he took away most spanning multiple decades. And he comes in and takes care of them hasn't had a full season yet! Its mind numbingly astonishing. And turns out, I looked into his history and he's won everything in the game Cross multiple top European leagues so it's not a fluke.

5 points off champions league with a game in hand. Might have to go back 16 years to be doing that well in April in terms of champions league contention.

Praise be!! Was just a half hearted attempt to see if some sniper fire from the shadows could draw the some safely tucked away bunker dwellers out into the open.. didn't really need to just think boredom was getting to me as I haven't engaged on the Carlo topic for a long while.
Pyschologically this team has taken massive strides forward and that alone is worth whatever comes.

It's all about the results at the end of the season. I was judging Carlo based on performances a few months ago.. now its all about the tally at the end of the season.. everything between now and then is just noise.

You forgot we won every game in London except the Chelsea game. We have a terrible record in London...O an he signed our 1st World class player in 25 years

Away wins at Spurs, the Ars3 and particularly the Hole is evidence of a mentality shift and something we can build on.

I will believe this when we do the same but with actual crowds in the stadium... no surprise our best away record in decades happens the one time we play in empty stadiums.

expect our away record to be far worse once crowds are back, with this hopefully being offset by us playing far better at home with crowds behind us

I will believe this when we do the same but with actual crowds in the stadium... no surprise our best away record in decades happens the one time we play in empty stadiums.

expect our away record to be far worse once crowds are back, with this hopefully being offset by us playing far better at home with crowds behind us
Yep, and also in seasons where the teams concerned are - in relative terms at least - struggling. It's like when we beat United under Martinez and everybody was so quick to laud it as a change in philosophy and mentality and the heralding of a brave new world that they didn't notice that they also lost at home to Sunderland, West Brom, Newcastle etc. It's not really the thread for it because there's nothing Ancelotti can do about it, but at the end of the day beating the current versions of these Spurs and Arsenal sides isn't remotely comparable to beating the sort of sides they've had in recent years. Same with Liverpool really but that genuinely is different because of everything that goes with it.

It's funny how it works differently for all clubs. I think West Ham have flourished this season due to no crowds. Their ground and fans have been toxic since moving. It really is a horrible atmosphere and it must be so liberating for their players to be able to go out there week in week out without protests, without fans storming the directors box or singing 'you're not fit to wear the shirt' or stuff like that. Don't get me wrong, Moyes has done great and they've worked hard but where-as we've struggled without fans i think they've embraced it. I thought Newcastle might benefit from it too but there ya go

There is no home support.

Don’t understand people comparing these stats - not like for like.

playing away in empty stadiums

You're right, where is the sense in seeking positives? At least now though we no longer need to hear and read about how we haven't won at where-ever since the dawn of time! A clean start so to speak.

Yep, and also in seasons where the teams concerned are - in relative terms at least - struggling. It's like when we beat United under Martinez and everybody was so quick to laud it as a change in philosophy and mentality and the heralding of a brave new world that they didn't notice that they also lost at home to Sunderland, West Brom, Newcastle etc. It's not really the thread for it because there's nothing Ancelotti can do about it, but at the end of the day beating the current versions of these Spurs and Arsenal sides isn't remotely comparable to beating the sort of sides they've had in recent years. Same with Liverpool really but that genuinely is different because of everything that goes with it.
I remember us absolutely battering Sunderland with 10 men and ? Mignolet? put on a clinic and we lost 1 nil. If that had gone the other way I reckon we were on for Top 4 that year.

I remember us absolutely battering Sunderland with 10 men and ? Mignolet? put on a clinic and we lost 1 nil. If that had gone the other way I reckon we were on for Top 4 that year.
Yeah it was a game over christmas, one of the rare occasions I've seen a losing Everton team applauded off the pitch. Sorry i maybe didn't make the point very well, I meant United were getting beat by all those teams, not us. Point being, it wasn't some massive change in mentality from us, it was just that a team which hadn't finished outside the top 3 for about 20 years suddenly found itself in 8th place and it was much easier to beat them than it had been in the past. It's why all this talk of mentalities etc makes me laugh, beating teams that are 20/30/40 points better than you away from home is very difficult and doesn't happen often. That has often been the case for us going to Old Trafford and the Emirates etc. It's really not a coincidence that these mental blocks have miraculously disappeared at the same time that the team we're playing is no longer as good.

So he sends out 11 men in an unstructured free form ensemble, yes?
nice.webp
nice.webp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back