Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with that. For all some people want to frame it as a mass meltdown, I just don’t think that’s the case. For me, we’re crap to watch and the season looks likely to end as a failure. I expected more from ancelotti and I’m a bit disappointed. But ultimately it is what it is. There’s no bedwetting from me, clean slate next year as far as I’m concerned. More worryingly to be honest, I don’t even know if I care anymore, I’m just a bit fed up of the whole thing.

I'm very Carlo in but I do think the criticism is very reasonable from fans. 90% of it is not saying they want him sacked. I know somepeople would want what I would call a "project manager" in more, I wouldnt really but I understand the point completely.

We have wasted a lot of opportunitie at home, and in most of those games got exactly what we deserved as well. Its not like ujnder Martinez and that Stoke game, where we would play well and defensive lapses would cost us, or the West Ham game where we would miss a penalty to get 3-0 ahead, and you could see we do 90% of the things well but the manager just seemed to have an ideological aversion to doing the final 10%. While I believe in general you make your own luck, I can also see that in as far as luck exists we have been lucky in games this season at home.

To be fair to Ancelotti I actually think he would expect criticism and be ok with it. I'd like to think he will be quite critical of himself. If we don't make Europe, it is a failure of a season, and in honesty we would only have ourselves to blame. I think he would be quite critical and honest about himself and hopefully about some of the players he has been quite loyal to.

You never get as much wholesale change as you want, but we might need more than we though. Certain players have just let us down too often. Iwobi, Keane, Holgate are 3 who have played a lot of minutes but I'm not sure will ever be top 6 players.

I'm a bit like you though, not even that angry just a bit bemused by it. This squad have ended the winning away at the big 6 hoodoo and the Anfield one. I was at Highbury the last time we won there too, as a young lad and it really does seem a lifetime ago. Part of me is really grateful we've ticked those boxes off. But the logical part of me just thinks there is a real problem with those players when you can't follow up those big wins win decent displays, never mind results. You think of the Liverpool game followed by the Burnley performance, and the Arsenal win followed by the Villa one. I just can't fathom it. Its probably not true but it just feels like they turn up when they fancy it. If thats the case, in a lot of ways that is far worse than just being a poor team.

Can thank Brands for the squad improvement since the one Allardyce picked up just before Brands joined is by your own words ‘much worse’

The worry I have for Brands is some of the players he has bought remain quite flaky, and more of them are going the wrong way.

I think the problem we have currently, is lots of players, the manager and the DOF are ok. Theyve done ok. Sure you can make a case Ancelotti has done better than ok to this point and is above average.

I'm very Carlo in but I do think the criticism is very reasonable from fans. 90% of it is not saying they want him sacked. I know somepeople would want what I would call a "project manager" in more, I wouldnt really but I understand the point completely.

We have wasted a lot of opportunitie at home, and in most of those games got exactly what we deserved as well. Its not like ujnder Martinez and that Stoke game, where we would play well and defensive lapses would cost us, or the West Ham game where we would miss a penalty to get 3-0 ahead, and you could see we do 90% of the things well but the manager just seemed to have an ideological aversion to doing the final 10%. While I believe in general you make your own luck, I can also see that in as far as luck exists we have been lucky in games this season at home.

To be fair to Ancelotti I actually think he would expect criticism and be ok with it. I'd like to think he will be quite critical of himself. If we don't make Europe, it is a failure of a season, and in honesty we would only have ourselves to blame. I think he would be quite critical and honest about himself and hopefully about some of the players he has been quite loyal to.

You never get as much wholesale change as you want, but we might need more than we though. Certain players have just let us down too often. Iwobi, Keane, Holgate are 3 who have played a lot of minutes but I'm not sure will ever be top 6 players.

I'm a bit like you though, not even that angry just a bit bemused by it. This squad have ended the winning away at the big 6 hoodoo and the Anfield one. I was at Highbury the last time we won there too, as a young lad and it really does seem a lifetime ago. Part of me is really grateful we've ticked those boxes off. But the logical part of me just thinks there is a real problem with those players when you can't follow up those big wins win decent displays, never mind results. You think of the Liverpool game followed by the Burnley performance, and the Arsenal win followed by the Villa one. I just can't fathom it. Its probably not true but it just feels like they turn up when they fancy it. If thats the case, in a lot of ways that is far worse than just being a poor team.
I just think it is what they are. Players capable of lifting their game when in the right mindset, but not genuinely consistent top level performers.

There's a pattern amongst most of their careers, bar a few exceptions.

I take your point but would say that for us, Europe is the exception rather than the rule. 13 European campaigns in 60 years doesn't shriek 'contenders'.

The Arsenal performance was nothing like the Liverpool one. We were putrid against arsenal and the derby performance was incomparable. An early goal - as uncommon as it is - is key to these bottle jobs.

I just think it is what they are. Players capable of lifting their game when in the right mindset, but not genuinely consistent top level performers.

There's a pattern amongst most of their careers, bar a few exceptions.
Think we have lacked a real on field leader for some time.

I honestly think Carlo will be looking for a dominant leader at CB in the summer. Keane, Holgate, Mina are all decent, but if we want to push on we need a dominant CB in my opinion.

There was definatly a change in Carlo in his after match comments.

For me he has now assesed the squad and even placed far too much faith in some of the players .
This is a man who works with the very very best in football and he will no doubt bring that into the club now.

Once he mentioned "attitude" ( something we've known for a long time ) that was the begining of the end for some of these players , expect a big turnover in players in the summer.

Big changing point last night.

The worry I have for Brands is some of the players he has bought remain quite flaky, and more of them are going the wrong way.

I think the problem we have currently, is lots of players, the manager and the DOF are ok. Theyve done ok. Sure you can make a case Ancelotti has done better than ok to this point and is above average.

Depends what the baseline is that you assess the performance from. I don’t want to ge to to a full ramble about perceptions borne from the past 25 years or so but I believe there are some fans who think that 7th/8th is Everton’s natural minimum position and if we just turn up decently in a season, regardless of what players we have, we’ll cruise to it and we should really punch above this. This hasn’t been helped by two very fortuitous 8th placed finishes under Allardyce and Silva largely gained by winning games that didn’t ter at the end of a nothing season when we never challenged for Europe. Add this to Moyes’ body of work and there’s a feeling that we ‘should’ finish in that position as ‘par’.

I think that we don’t have a divine right to any position in this league and that quality is everything. I thought at the start of the season we had the 9th best squad outside of the top 6, Leicester, and Wolves. Wolves have been horribly mismanaged and devastated by injury. So I thought we were around 8th best. The quality disparity in our squad is huge though (what I would call the difference between our best players and the players who take their spot) so when the likes of Docuoure Allan James Digne Richarlison are injured for long periods we don’t have in my opinion a top half squad.

I think given the injuries we’ve had Ancelotti has done well to have us challenging where we are for as long as we have. When I look at the sides above us though I can only make a case for West Ham drastically performing above where I thought they’d be.

The big thing for me though is that this improvement doesn’t feel like a sticking plaster. This is not a poor team with Lukaku at the top of it beating up the bottom 13 at home but losing every single big game of note like under Koeman, or a bottom half outfit scraping into 8th in the final few weeks under Silva thanks to loan players. We’ve stripped a lot of players out of this squad and finally it feels like a tanker that has been going in the wrong direction for a decade might finally have turned around and be about to get going forward again. I think we’ll buy well this summer and we’ll be better next season, and even though in hoped that under previous managers, I never really believed it.

There was definatly a change in Carlo in his after match comments.

For me he has now assesed the squad and even placed far too much faith in some of the players .
This is a man who works with the very very best in football and he will no doubt bring that into the club now.

Once he mentioned "attitude" ( something we've known for a long time ) that was the begining of the end for some of these players , expect a big turnover in players in the summer.

Big changing point last night.
I think that was telling. Definitely a few will be moved on or become squad players next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back