Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again it wouldn't be clear cut, but yes, generally speaking I would say outperforming your rivals over the course of a season in which you're all playing the same teams, and actually achieving something that is a clearly stated aim of the club (European qualification) is a better indicator of progress than how many points you get in comparison to previous seasons. City could finish this season with less points than last season, good luck telling their fans that you've uncovered evidence of their decline.

But cities goal is based off being the top team, they've progressed to that level amassing more points than anyone else. Anything lower is failure based on that so it's a different barometer to assign progress for them. You outperform your rivals...you generally get more points.

It's a tier system.

80+ points wins you a league
70+ gets you top 4.
40 points stops you getting relegated.

They're standards.

Leicester finished last season in 5th in 62 points. We could finish on the same and finish lower. They're on 66 points now and 3rd, progress made. In previous seasons 66 points is 5th to 7th.

League positions fluctuate on any given season points wise outside the top 4. But if you're constantly gaining a set amount of points and improving them each season, you're progressing IMO.

I just watched his post match interview, we apparently played well. OK mate, yeah, wonderful (n)

We play in 3 days, we didn't lose, we must win on Sunday. He's not going to absolutely slate everyone in public and demoralise them.

He'll not be happy with our attacking play at all. I don't know why people get wound up by his comments. What he says publicly and what he thinks privately are not likely to be the same. He rarely is extremely critical in public after a game. The fact he was so critical after the Villa home game shows how angry he really was.

We play in 3 days, we didn't lose, we must win on Sunday. He's not going to absolutely slate everyone in public and demoralise them.

He'll not be happy with our attacking play at all. I don't know why people get wound up by his comments. What he says publicly and what he thinks privately are not likely to be the same. He rarely is extremely critical in public after a game. The fact he was so critical after the Villa home game shows how angry he really was.
No idea why any supporter of any club takes their managers comments in the press at face value. He's repeatedly said Richarlison is good enough to win a ballon dor and that James is fit for games that he isn't. Managers tell lies or half truths all the time

But cities goal is based off being the top team, they've progressed to that level amassing more points than anyone else. Anything lower is failure based on that so it's a different barometer to assign progress for them. You outperform your rivals...you generally get more points.

It's a tier system.

80+ points wins you a league
70+ gets you top 4.
40 points stops you getting relegated.

They're standards.

Leicester finished last season in 5th in 62 points. We could finish on the same and finish lower. They're on 66 points now and 3rd, progress made. In previous seasons 66 points is 5th to 7th.

League positions fluctuate on any given season points wise outside the top 4. But if you're constantly gaining a set amount of points and improving them each season, you're progressing IMO.
'This is how you need to look at it...except when it's not'.

It’s a weird one

One of the worst home records ever v one of the best away records ever

Can’t help but feel if we don’t beat Sheffield United on Sunday then this should still go down as a failed season. If we don’t win then I think that’s probably us finishing no higher than 8th which means no European football. Given the players we brought in, the great start to the season, the calibre of management it should go down as a failed season imo which Carlo is ultimately responsible for

That doesn’t mean I want him out, I’m all for the long term vision but I think even Carlo himself would admit that not finishing in the top 7 would be a failed season
Carlo and Brands went for short term players who were older to get us Europe. That was what his goal was this year. If we don't finish 7th at the worst this season would be a failure. Don't really care about the "we were closer in points to Champions league than 2 years ago" trophy.

Yep, and there's this perception that teams just sit back against us at home, which is absolutely not the case.

Newcastle, Fulham, Burnley, West Ham, Villa.......all teams who absolutely played us off the park at home. Set up we were simply not good enough and a couple of times it happens but 5 times, simply not good enough.

Carlo has got to sort this home form out or it is going to destroy any chances of qualifying for Europe. 2 home games coming up in quick succession and you would normally be quite confident and optimistic and winning them both would probably give us a decent chance of qualifying. Then you look at our home form since the 1st January and it absolutely shocking. We have played 10 home games since the 1st January and won a grand total of 1 of them. Been a long time since we have been that poor at home, probably several decades.

Sort it out please Carlo and lets have an enjoyable end to the season even if we don't end up qualifying. Be nice to just win a couple of games at home on the trot against lower positioned teams.

He's had better players, more money, full backing of board and fans etc etc etc but has Carlo done any better than Fat Sam?
Has he had around the sameHe’s bought Godfrey, doucoure, Allan and Hamez.
Sam bought Cenk Tosun and Theo Walcott for just £10m less

I expected top 8 before the season started. We may well finish on the top 8. If we do considering the obvious deficiencies in the squad and the horrendous injury list, then Carlo has done a good job.

The style of football has, for the most part, not been an easy watch, but, if we bring in a bit of pace and power on the right side and a powerful quick box to box midfielder, I think we will see a different style of play next season.

Yep, that's a good point. It's hard to listen to after another dreadful performance though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back