Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm afraid we'll have to agree to disagree.

The way Brighton play is exactly how I don't like a team to play in this league. It's the definition of style over substance. Keeping the ball well and being neat and tidy in possession is irrelevant if you are not well organised, good at set plays, and good on the transition.

They are really bad at all 3 of those things and I don't see how you can ever be successful in the PL if aren't good on at least 2 out of those 3.

We are starting to show signs of setting a foundation. What we need now are the 3 or 4 players who add that extra quality to win tight games. We can't expect to be blowing decent sides away, but with extra quality at full back, in midfield and in attack, the nil nils become 1 or 2 nil wins, and the bad days at the office end up being draws rather than narrow losses.

I wouldn't say Chelsea for example play really expansive football. They make up for it by being very solid and having quality in the final third. That's what we need to do. We don't need to be playing super ultra aggressive attacking football.
Okay, then we disagree. We do not need to discuss Brighton here.

Where did I say Howe?

I want Graham Potter. A young manager who Spurs and Arsenal are looking at. Clear style of play - modern football. Excellent recruitment record.

I know he didn’t win trophies in the 80s like but his Brighton play better togger than the turgid stuff we serve up every single week and with worse players than us.

I think people should ignore this obvious troll.

Ah yes, the Brighton manager. A side who can't score and can't defend properly.

To be fair to Brighton, they are 17th and have conceded less than us, with 3 games to play.

I agree with you in your "style over substance" point, though Potter is working with far greater limitations and simply remaining in the PL is a success.

I am disappointed overall with Carlos failure to take advantage of the once in a decade opportunity of achieving European football. ( the opportunity came from other teams under performing consistently). This opportunity might not come around again for a long time. I felt his football was too negative with mid table to bottom table teams. The work rate carlo claims to be there is not at the level of the top teams. One cannot compare evertons work rate and intensity last night v villa with liverpool's v city. It is 2 different levels and for me Carlos team does not have the intensity necessary.

However its stick by Carlo for me. Everton cannot attract real top players. Carlo can and the 4 he brought in last summer are quality. So this summer is ultra important for evertons next 5 years. A failure to add another 4 quality players means mid table mediocrity for the next decade. He is working with bang average players currently. Coleman, keane, holgate, davis, gomes, Ziggy, iwobi etc etc etc are bang average. They have proven that over last 3 or 4 years.

We need at least 4 to 5 quality starting 11 players. That's Carlos mission hopefully this summer. Ship on riff raff and drop some current starters well down squad position. He gets my full backing until this time next season even with his current Big Sam tactics as he is working with some bang average individuals.

He's had better players, more money, full backing of board and fans etc etc etc but has Carlo done any better than Fat Sam?

We play absolutely dreadful football and the team looks hopelessly lost at times and yet if we win our next two games it's our highest points total since Martinez first season. All whilst having Digne, Allan, Doucoure, DCL, James and Mina all having serious injuries. Sometimes you've just gotta say he's done the best with what he has, which is overpaid bang average footballers for the most part.

It’s a weird one

One of the worst home records ever v one of the best away records ever

Can’t help but feel if we don’t beat Sheffield United on Sunday then this should still go down as a failed season. If we don’t win then I think that’s probably us finishing no higher than 8th which means no European football. Given the players we brought in, the great start to the season, the calibre of management it should go down as a failed season imo which Carlo is ultimately responsible for

That doesn’t mean I want him out, I’m all for the long term vision but I think even Carlo himself would admit that not finishing in the top 7 would be a failed season

It’s a weird one

One of the worst home records ever v one of the best away records ever

Can’t help but feel if we don’t beat Sheffield United on Sunday then this should still go down as a failed season. If we don’t win then I think that’s probably us finishing no higher than 8th which means no European football. Given the players we brought in, the great start to the season, the calibre of management it should go down as a failed season imo which Carlo is ultimately responsible for

That doesn’t mean I want him out, I’m all for the long term vision but I think even Carlo himself would admit that not finishing in the top 7 would be a failed season
We will beat sheff United and wolves then the uproar will calm down.
Finishing outside the top 7 would be a failure in my eyes too, but I can forgive it as I’m totally realistic about the absolute garbage he is working with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back