Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't even disputed that though. I was responding to a post that basically said 'if you can't see this is evidence of progress then you're an idiot' by saying it was simplistic logic. I'm not saying there's absolutely no merit to it whatsoever, just that calling people idiots for not agreeing with one arbitrary measure of progress didn't seem particularly fair. Looking at points is one way of doing it, that's fine. League position is another, style of play another, you could maybe go as far as goals scored/conceded or even the fabled 'xg' if you're so inclined. For the avoidance of doubt, I'm not saying I think we're going backwards or anything like that, I just think it's debatable whether we've really moved forwards.
In al honesty, we are just treading water at the minute. Depending on 1 or 2 players whether it be James and DCL now or Lukaku Barkley a few years ago we are just in the same position as we have been since even before Moyes left. Hopefully this summer changes it

They always say, don't they, that you build a successful team from the back.

Whether that's a cliché or not, it's safe to say that we're pretty solid at the back. We've got that base to build on.

Let's hope that we see the progress we need to going forward now.
Pickford is currently enjoying the best form of his Everton career. Important to note that up until something like the end of February, most people wanted him gone... maybe he's turned a corner. Maybe. Behind Pickford we have no depth (Olsen's loan is up in the summer and I doubt he'll want to come back).

Coleman is pretty much done. He's been a great servant to the club, and was arguably the best RB in the Prem at one point but that point was more than a couple of years ago now and it isn't coming back. Behind Coleman we have Holgate, who is a mediocre RB at best.

Mina has some real strengths, but is injury prone and on very high wages. In fact, his wages are such that I would say he isn't delivering good enough performances consistently.

Keane is an incredibly limited player in that he is excellent at a very narrow range of skills. He can't play a high line, he has no pace, he is agricultural with the ball, he is the epitome of a confidence player. He is great at sitting deep and endlessly heading away crosses, but if we continue to play with a back line sitting deep then we will continue to underwhelm.

Godfrey... Really, really promising. He's got a bright future ahead of him and if he continues to develop at the rate he has done this season, he's a year away from being our best CB.

Digne blows hot and cold. When he's switched on he is excellent bordering on elite, but he isn't always switched on. I do suspect that if we recruited a decent RB we'd actually see improved consistency from Digne as opponents wouldn't be able to flood our left side to stifle Digne, because they won't be able to just ignore our right side (as many opponents have done this season). Behind Digne as depth we have the pretty much untried and untested Nkounkou - who knows, might be great. Might be Pistone.

TL,DR: I fundamentally disagree with your assertion that we are solid at the back. We are at least a starting RB away from being solid at the back, and that assumes:

a) Pickford improves
b) Mina stops getting injured all the time
c) Godfrey's continued development carries on completely unhindered.

I haven't even disputed that though. I was responding to a post that basically said 'if you can't see this is evidence of progress then you're an idiot' by saying it was simplistic logic. I'm not saying there's absolutely no merit to it whatsoever, just that calling people idiots for not agreeing with one arbitrary measure of progress didn't seem particularly fair. Looking at points is one way of doing it, that's fine. League position is another, style of play another, you could maybe go as far as goals scored/conceded or even the fabled 'xg' if you're so inclined. For the avoidance of doubt, I'm not saying I think we're going backwards or anything like that, I just think it's debatable whether we've really moved forwards.
Inching slowly forwards at best tbh.

Which I'm not stressed about. Evolution. Everyone wants revolution though.

Think it was @MikelsGoat who said a while back that is incredibly hard to even stay still in the Premier league.

I get it, folk see teams like Wolves or even Sheff Utd come up and do well. But it's rare they stay in that position.

I know I'll get shouted down by some because folk doubt Carlo has a plan or it isn't obvious. Fine, that's your view. But I'm happy to look to stabilise and build. Which you could argue he has looked to do. Its just whether you think he can do so.

Well you say 'what we all know' but going by a few pages on here I don't think alot of people do know unfortunately, we are definitely on the right path with Ancelotti and the cry arses that can't see it will never be happy
I think it's because some people here constantly insist that Ancelotti is a world - class manager, and one of the best managers of all time (Do not argue that he is not a good manager). We have invested in players like JR, Allan, AD, Godfrey (+ King), and we already have players like Pickford, DCL, Digne and Richarlison. In recent years, except last year, we have mostly been around the same league position as now. So when supposedly one of the world's best, or the best managers of the time, only manages to lead Everton to an expected position in the table, you get a little disappointed. For others, this is just another proof that Ancelotti is the best manager of all time, and instead uses the time to talk down the players. Personally, I'm somewhere in between.

People want to see a style and more intensity from our current players, like the current players we have have ever given us anything remotely similar to style or urgency. Half of these clowns have seen off 3/4 different managers now. The players Ancelotti has signed have contributed in a good way this season when available, it’s no coincidence that the ones who have been disappointing are the ones of the same clown group of players who have been putting in the same level of performances for years.

I quite liked our style at the start of the season when all of our better players were available and 100% and the football was pleasing even though we didn’t see much of the ball we were able to turn defending into attack with ease and you knew we were always in the game.

The moment we started depending on the likes of Gomes, Sigurdsson, Iwobi, Holgate etc.. to deliver for us it’s no surprises that all changed pretty quickly.

An overhaul is needed in the summer, for us to really progress all of that deadwood needs moving on, to the point where they aren’t even options from the bench anymore.
100% agree with this entire post. The final sentence is the key to our entire transfer strategy.

I’d never want him gone. He’s the man for the future and needs backing in recruitment.

I still believe he’s underachieved with that squad of players.

losing to Newcastle, Fulham, villa and other ale house with far worse squads than us.
He’s not the man for the future though is he? Not when you actually analyse everything.

Carlo is an old man now. His tactics look dated. He’s the wrong type of manager for a club which wants to steadily build. Carlo requires ready-made, world class players. We don’t and will never have that.

Some of you are behaving like Kopites did with Rafael Benitez. The worship of Carlo is worrying when he’s done nothing here.

At least that lot had reason to worship Benitez. Honestly it’s embarrassing the way some blues are behaving when it comes to Carlo, he’s above all criticism because of achievements in the past. We’ll appoint Mourinho next then shall we? Even though he’s clearly out of touch with the game now, let’s get him in because his Inter side were good.

Such short term, naive thinking from so many of you.

He’s not the man for the future though is he? Not when you actually analyse everything.

Carlo is an old man now. His tactics look dated. He’s the wrong type of manager for a club which wants to steadily build. Carlo requires ready-made, world class players. We don’t and will never have that.

Some of you are behaving like Kopites did with Rafael Benitez. The worship of Carlo is worrying when he’s done nothing here.

At least that lot had reason to worship Benitez. Honestly it’s embarrassing the way some blues are behaving when it comes to Carlo, he’s above all criticism because of achievements in the past. We’ll appoint Mourinho next then shall we? Even though he’s clearly out of touch with the game now, let’s get him in because his Inter side were good.

Whereas the progressive, long term, shrewd, logical decision would be to sack Ancelotti and bring in Howe?

I'm quite happy with our manager thanks.

These players? Not so much

Pickford is currently enjoying the best form of his Everton career. Important to note that up until something like the end of February, most people wanted him gone... maybe he's turned a corner. Maybe. Behind Pickford we have no depth (Olsen's loan is up in the summer and I doubt he'll want to come back).

Coleman is pretty much done. He's been a great servant to the club, and was arguably the best RB in the Prem at one point but that point was more than a couple of years ago now and it isn't coming back. Behind Coleman we have Holgate, who is a mediocre RB at best.

Mina has some real strengths, but is injury prone and on very high wages. In fact, his wages are such that I would say he isn't delivering good enough performances consistently.

Keane is an incredibly limited player in that he is excellent at a very narrow range of skills. He can't play a high line, he has no pace, he is agricultural with the ball, he is the epitome of a confidence player. He is great at sitting deep and endlessly heading away crosses, but if we continue to play with a back line sitting deep then we will continue to underwhelm.

Godfrey... Really, really promising. He's got a bright future ahead of him and if he continues to develop at the rate he has done this season, he's a year away from being our best CB.

Digne blows hot and cold. When he's switched on he is excellent bordering on elite, but he isn't always switched on. I do suspect that if we recruited a decent RB we'd actually see improved consistency from Digne as opponents wouldn't be able to flood our left side to stifle Digne, because they won't be able to just ignore our right side (as many opponents have done this season). Behind Digne as depth we have the pretty much untried and untested Nkounkou - who knows, might be great. Might be Pistone.

TL,DR: I fundamentally disagree with your assertion that we are solid at the back. We are at least a starting RB away from being solid at the back, and that assumes:

a) Pickford improves
b) Mina stops getting injured all the time
c) Godfrey's continued development carries on completely unhindered.
Well there’s a difference between the unit and the individuals that make it up. I’m talking more about the unit.

I’m pretty happy that we know how to defend as a team. The problem is we don’t know how to attack.

Well there’s a difference between the unit and the individuals that make it up. I’m talking more about the unit.

I’m pretty happy that we know how to defend as a team. The problem is we don’t know how to attack.
The problem is that the two are intrinsically linked though. The fact that we often have 10 men behind the ball and sit at the edge of our own box is both the reason we look solid defensively and the reason we're toothless going forward. The key is to find a balance.

Such a narrow minded view.
Younger managers, we tried Martinez and Silva.
The football from both in their last seasons was equally as appalling.

His tactics are that because he’s realised the absolute dross he had to work with.
He can’t actually physically make them better that what they are, players like Gylfi, Gomes and Iwobi are so limited, how can he do more than he has working with a squad like this?

The problem is that the two are intrinsically linked though. The fact that we often have 10 men behind the ball and sit at the edge of our own box is both the reason we look solid defensively and the reason we're toothless going forward. The key is to find a balance.
Of course it is - I don’t disagree.

We don’t have the personnel to play attacking football. Carlo’s said as much himself. That’s what this summer will be focused on changing.

His tactics didn’t look dated at the start of the season when our better players were available and haven’t looked dated in away games when he’s had to work with scraps. His substitutions for me are questionable but I trust him to set the team up accordingly. He can only do so much as a manager, ultimately it’s the players who go out there and put in the level of performances required. Yes I get the buck will stop at the managers feet because he is the manager, but I’ve seen these clowns of ours play the same way under previous managers and I know what they are capable of and I know that the problem firmly stands at their feet because they’re not good enough. I go back to the Fulham game at home and I didn’t see one single player going that extra mile trying to close down or get stuck in, I seen all of them casually standing off stood ball watching, being second best to every ball and generally looking gutless, not for the first time at home, zero fight, zero passion, that’s the issue with this team. Take out the likes of DCL, Richy, Digne, Godfrey, James, Docoure & Allan when available and just look at what we are left with, a slow, effortless, untalented, gutless group of players. Until these are pushed out we’ll just keep seeing the same old crap no matter who the manager is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back