Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
So if we finish next season on 59 points and 6th compared to 62 and 8th you'd say that was progressing?
Again it wouldn't be clear cut, but yes, generally speaking I would say outperforming your rivals over the course of a season in which you're all playing the same teams, and actually achieving something that is a clearly stated aim of the club (European qualification) is a better indicator of progress than how many points you get in comparison to previous seasons. City could finish this season with less points than last season, good luck telling their fans that you've uncovered evidence of their decline.

There are literally no caveats in my post?! I'm just saying the league table is how you measure performance, not how many points you got 7 years ago. It's a pretty simple concept.

I also didn't 'attack' anyone, I just said I didn't understand why we needed to put a caveat in for the season we got more points but not for the seasons we got less. He was trying to put a spin on things, which is fine, but I was just pointing it out.
Look mate I get your point to a degree. Success is measured on where you finish in that particular league. As that's the competition its in and if more teams did better then that's the measure.

But I still like to think getting more points than the previous 7 has to go down as a measure of progression. I don't put it down to circumstance when its 7 seasons one after the other. Even if each season is different. Still an outside chance of 6th or 7th also. But that's yet to be seen. I have faith in carlo freaking Ancelotti. He's done enough in the game and recently to get 3 or 4 years to take everton out of this mid table purgatory before giving him serious doubt.

I’d never want him gone. He’s the man for the future and needs backing in recruitment.

I still believe he’s underachieved with that squad of players.

losing to Newcastle, Fulham, villa and other ale house with far worse squads than us.

Agree with this, there isn't much more Ancelotti can do with the players he has, we defend well and be create a lot of chancers every, we just only seem to have DCL who can score, if sick note was involved a bit more we might create more chancers, hopefully a few attacking players coming in this summer

Pretty much what we all know.
The bench is like the cast of a particularly bad film which nobody wants to watch.

Agree with this, there isn't much more Ancelotti can do with the players he has, we defend well and be create a lot of chancers every, we just only seem to have DCL who can score, if sick note was involved a bit more we might create more chancers, hopefully a few attacking players coming in this summer

They always say, don't they, that you build a successful team from the back.

Whether that's a cliché or not, it's safe to say that we're pretty solid at the back. We've got that base to build on.

Let's hope that we see the progress we need to going forward now.

Look mate I get your point to a degree. Success is measured on where you finish in that particular league. As that's the competition its in and if more teams did better then that's the measure.

But I still like to think getting more points than the previous 7 has to go down as a measure of progression. I don't put it down to circumstance when its 7 seasons one after the other. Even if each season is different. Still an outside chance of 6th or 7th also. But that's yet to be seen. I have faith in carlo freaking Ancelotti. He's done enough in the game and recently to get 3 or 4 years to take everton out of this mid table purgatory before giving him serious doubt.
I haven't even disputed that though. I was responding to a post that basically said 'if you can't see this is evidence of progress then you're an idiot' by saying it was simplistic logic. I'm not saying there's absolutely no merit to it whatsoever, just that calling people idiots for not agreeing with one arbitrary measure of progress didn't seem particularly fair. Looking at points is one way of doing it, that's fine. League position is another, style of play another, you could maybe go as far as goals scored/conceded or even the fabled 'xg' if you're so inclined. For the avoidance of doubt, I'm not saying I think we're going backwards or anything like that, I just think it's debatable whether we've really moved forwards.

Pretty much what we all know.
The bench is like the cast of a particularly bad film which nobody wants to watch.

Well you say 'what we all know' but going by a few pages on here I don't think alot of people do know unfortunately, we are definitely on the right path with Ancelotti and the cry arses that can't see it will never be happy

I haven't even disputed that though. I was responding to a post that basically said 'if you can't see this is evidence of progress then you're an idiot' by saying it was simplistic logic. I'm not saying there's absolutely no merit to it whatsoever, just that calling people idiots for not agreeing with one arbitrary measure of progress didn't seem particularly fair. Looking at points is one way of doing it, that's fine. League position is another, style of play another, you could maybe go as far as goals scored/conceded or even the fabled 'xg' if you're so inclined. For the avoidance of doubt, I'm not saying I think we're going backwards or anything like that, I just think it's debatable whether we've really moved forwards.

I’m glad you’re in this thread to put all of my points into actual eloquent paragraphs for me.

People keep saying this but the bulk of our bench was filled with Brands signings.

So if we give Brands a new 3 yr deal why do we suddenly expect our bench to end up with better players on it come next season when its the same bloke identifying the players?

King
Benard
Iwobi
Gomes
Delph

All on the bench yesterday and all signed by Brands.

We’ve had 1 decent season since Martinez and finished 7th with Koeman. Then being Everton, they managed to stop that progress right in its tracks and we went backwards again.

As bad as the football we are watching is, I’m just grateful we are still in with a chance of Europe with 3 games remaining.

That said, watching Everton at the moment is about as much fun as seeing blood on your loo roll.

People want to see a style and more intensity from our current players, like the current players we have have ever given us anything remotely similar to style or urgency. Half of these clowns have seen off 3/4 different managers now. The players Ancelotti has signed have contributed in a good way this season when available, it’s no coincidence that the ones who have been disappointing are the ones of the same clown group of players who have been putting in the same level of performances for years.

I quite liked our style at the start of the season when all of our better players were available and 100% and the football was pleasing even though we didn’t see much of the ball we were able to turn defending into attack with ease and you knew we were always in the game.

The moment we started depending on the likes of Gomes, Sigurdsson, Iwobi, Holgate etc.. to deliver for us it’s no surprises that all changed pretty quickly.

An overhaul is needed in the summer, for us to really progress all of that deadwood needs moving on, to the point where they aren’t even options from the bench anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back