Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think, and I might be sticking my neck out here, im not too sure. But I think its a barometer of having better results than previous seasons.

Don't hold me to that.

And yeah I agree the 61 point season that we very well may overtake doesn't need the Lukaku caveat.

The point stands without it.
I've made the same point many times, in many different contexts, over many seasons. The amount of points you achieve in any given season is only relevant in that season. Gaining more points when the teams you're playing is different cannot be used as indisputable evidence of progress. There are 3 teams in the league this year who look unlikely to reach 30 points. Because they aren't picking up points, it means the average points total for teams in the top half is going to be higher, because everybody is taking points off them, which isn't always the case. If you took City, United and Chelsea out of the league next year and replaced them with Tranmere, Wrexham and Stockport we'd get more points, but we wouldn't necessarily be any better as a team. So I think, and I might be sticking my neck out here, i'm not too sure, but I think, your point is rubbish.

I think, and I might be sticking my neck out here, im not too sure. But I think its a barometer of having better results than previous seasons.

Don't hold me to that.

And yeah I agree the 61 point season that we very well may overtake doesn't need the Lukaku caveat.

The point stands without it.

I don't know. That season was Lukaku's best return for us with a team that had Barkley, Gana, Barry etc who all then left pretty much the following season.

So it shows the transition from what we never really replaced.

There's an ocean between a bit of criticism and wanting him out - The two things are not directly related at all!

Missed the devils advocate bit did you?
If you're constantly criticising somebody in a job then its a perfectly fair question to ask if you feel somebody else can do it better.

I've made the same point many times, in many different contexts, over many seasons. The amount of points you achieve in any given season is only relevant in that season. Gaining more points when the teams you're playing is different cannot be used as indisputable evidence of progress. There are 3 teams in the league this year who look unlikely to reach 30 points. Because they aren't picking up points, it means the average points total for teams in the top half is going to be higher, because everybody is taking points off them, which isn't always the case. If you took City, United and Chelsea out of the league next year and replaced them with Tranmere, Wrexham and Stockport we'd get more points, but we wouldn't necessarily be any better as a team. So I think, and I might be sticking my neck out here, i'm not too sure, but I think, your point is rubbish.

It is though. Because if you don't reach or better the previous season points tally...how do you evaluate progress?

Or do we base it on playing like Brighton or Fulham, nice attractive football, and finish in the bottom of the table?

Then why the hell are you replying to the post when it not relevant to you. I asked if anyone has any other candidates they think might do better.
Because the post was insinuating that people that criticise Ancelotti want him out - which is a dangerous and completely misguided insinuation to have

I'll leave you alone to your devil's advocate anyway

My favourite is when people say he’s too old school and past it. That his methods are outdated.

As if they have a clue as to the respective merits of different systems and methods at that level.

It's mad init.

I remember somebody on here having a go at Chris Woods' coaching skills once. lol

And Steve Round was regularly, err, rounded on, despite the fact nobody on here knew anything about how he went about his job

Because the post was insinuating that people that criticise Ancelotti want him out - which is a dangerous and completely misguided insinuation to have

I'll leave you alone to your devil's advocate anyway

Good. As you came to the table empty handed.

From August..

Screenshot_20210514-093204_Chrome.webp

It is though. Because if you don't reach or better the previous season points tally...how do you evaluate progress?

Or do we base it on playing like Brighton or Fulham, nice attractive football, and finish in the bottom of the table?
Well the obvious one would be where you finish in the table wouldn't it? That's my point in a nutshell, that your performance relative to your peers would be the go to methodology for this 99.9% of the time, because that's what allows you to evaluate the performance within the season itself, when everybody's playing the same teams under the same conditions. You've even mentioned it there yourself as an aside to try to further your point, despite the fact you're pretending it doesn't exist in the context we're talking about. The only reason it isn't being used here is because it wouldn't show what the poster wanted it to show, so they chose a different method.

As i've said elsewhere, I'm not saying we haven't improved, I just don't think it's clear cut. There's still a chance we could finish 6th, in which case I'll be saying good job everyone, can't knock that. There's also a chance we'll finish 9th, in which case I'll be saying that's a poor return, actually even lower than my minimum expectation would have been at the start of the season.

It's mad init.

I remember somebody on here having a go at Chris Woods coaching skills once. lol

And Steve Round was regularly, err, rounded on, despite the fact nobody on here knew anything about how he went about his job

At one time, the main way people had to demonstrate their (largely imagined) knowledge of football was to find a pen and some writing paper, compose a letter and post it to the pink Echo. Readers letters, at one point, had a fund of stuff from Reds saying Shankly couldn't spot a player ... about 3 years after he'd won them their second title in 3 years.

Now we have the internet. Which on the evidence of this and other threads should probably be burned.

Before the season I’d have expected us to be 7th/8th - I think we’ll probably still do that - I think Carlo is pragmatic, he cannot play expansive football with this team but I have full confidence there’s a robust plan for the summer - he almost hinted at it the other day scoffing at FFP - I think we’ll see big investment this summer and judge Carlo as a result next season when he will be expected to clearly kick on. He’s knocked off a number of hoodoos this season and as tedious as we are to watch right now - we’ve been worse in recent years.

I think Carlo has a massive job, he needs to completely change the mentality of the club, something several previous managers have failed at, at least he’s made this group of players believe they can beat the sky darlings and not just roll over - imagine what he’ll do with some quality, reliable additions - hopefully in the Godfrey mould.

I've got the point now where I'd like for GOT to lobby the club for a competition.

One lucky forum poster gets to manage Everton FC for a Premier league game. Training, tactics, pre-match meal, team selection, the lot.

Imagine. That 2-5-3 formation with the line up below will bring back the school of science:

Pickford

Godfrey Mina

Iwobi Davies Doucs Allan Bernard

James Dom King

Counter pressing style, fast transitions, and cute 1-2s all over the shop. They'll be sergeant majored into caring about this club, make no mistake.

Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back