Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need to spend well.

It's both really. We need a lot of spending and the right spending. You can't compete with the teams above us with a 50 or 60m spend in a summer. These teams spend more than that on single players and Chelsea spent 4 times that last summer.

We gave Koeman far more money than Ancelotti got so I'd say it's time to change that.

The lack of quality in the team around the box was dreadful yesterday. If I was a manager I'd be ready to give up lol

Absolutely . We tried to go with the bright , new thing with Silva and Martinez and it didn't work out .
I know it's frustrating to not see us play like City or Barcelona but Carlo is doing it correctly . I hate to see us play like this but look what he's got to play with . With one or two injuries we are average . He's already said ( in not so many words ) that he hasn't got the quality to make a real dent in the league .
As someone said , our best right sided player is an aging Coleman .
Hopefully Mosh and Brands can give him the tools he needs to play some more adventurous football because as it stands the only creative player of quality we have is made of glass .
I'm annoyed as much as a lot of you are that we can't play the football we like to see at this illustrious club but we have to get the foundations right . Pep done the same thing at City . It's no coincidence that now he has defenders he can count on that his team look unstoppable .
It's all about foundations and Carlo with his beautiful and well earned C.V knows that most of all .
Strikers win games , defences win leagues

Completely agree, but again I'd question whether the decision to throw Iwobi in, especially at wing back was the right one.

Make no mistake, I think Carlo is our one and only indispensable asset, and I think 5 at the back has been our most effective way of playing recently. I just feel that in these last four games, with every one a must win, he needed to open it up a bit more, even with the limited options we have. He's an absolutely outstanding manager, but I think he got it wrong today.
Who would you have put on instead of Iwobi
I think Iwobi is dreadful but who else is there

So Carlos is satisfied with the performance...said we could have won it...he is only disappointed with the result...no comments there but surely you can't be happy with our performance tonight unless you aspire to mediocrity. Lost for words at times with our manager.
Did you want him to throw the players under the bus Jose style

Point proven. Silva and Koeman didn't get sacked for finishing 7th and 8th though did they? People blamed them for turning us into relegation battlers. So yes, people said the players were better than that.

Allardyce was sacked for two reasons. Moshiri only wanted him as an interim anyway, but took the hit knowing he'd keep us up. He panicked a bit, basically.

Allardyce also didn't help himself with his behaviour either. I'm convinced more people would have been prepared to give him another year and a 'thanks but bye' at the end of his contract if he'd not been such a monumental bellend.

I'm not resorting to name calling, I'm just struggling to see how anybody with a degree of intelligence could make such a bizarre statement
Worth pointing out though that Silva got an absolute shedload of criticism in his first season too, despite finishing 8th and picking up some good results. There was an ongoing poll on here about sacking him after about 3 months, but now 18 months isn't long enough for someone to have an impact. I've said it before but a load of the same people who used to say that Bernard was our best player and would fit right in at City now argue that he isn't even a functional option to have on the bench and there is literally no way on earth he could possibly contribute to the team. It's more than a little bizarre.

I know people like to pretend that you have to either want him sacked or say he can't be criticised at all, for anything, but I'm just on the fence about him. I don't think he's doing a terrible job, but I don't see much evidence that he's doing a great one either. I think we're just about where I'd expect us to be in the league whoever was managing us. For me that's a little bit disappointing because I hoped a top class manager would have us performing better than the sum of our parts. If we finish in a European place then it's job done, if we don't then I think the season has been a failure. I can live with us playing the absolutely atrocious football we've been serving up as a means to an end to get the results to give us a platform, but if it all turns out to have been for nothing then I'd really rather we'd played better football.

Everybody needs to calm their tits a bit.

The football we are watching is absolutely gash, but it’s got us with a chance of a European place with 3 games left, so let’s consider that before weighing in with stupid shouts of sacking the manager. To have us in this position with this squad is nothing short of a miracle and that’s with half a functioning team.

We all know that next season a load of players are out of contract and hopefully we can offload some of the pure, unadulterated garbage we have, so next season will be very telling.
Let’s hope we get European football of some sort because it will help attract a better type of player.

A little perspective please
Last 6 full seasons.

19/20 = 49 pts
18/19 = 54 pts
17/18 = 49 pts
16/17 = 61 pts ( with 25 goal Lukaku)
15/16 = 47 pts
14/15 = 47 pts

20/21 = 56 points with 3 games to play

If anyone cant see we are in good hands and see's a true progression rather than quick fix spend loads and hope it works , then this footie lark isnt for you.

Pretty simplistic way of looking at things to be honest, and not sure why the 61 point season needs a caveat - other than to make your point sound like a good one, obviously.

I think, and I might be sticking my neck out here, im not too sure. But I think its a barometer of having better results than previous seasons.

Don't hold me to that.

And yeah I agree the 61 point season that we very well may overtake doesn't need the Lukaku caveat.

The point stands without it.

I like him but I think their are managers that could do better with the same squad, thing is tho Carlo is a big name and has pull for players so its a damned if you do damned if you don't situation

Genuinely think if we get afew players that can control the football then we qill do well, but then what could we realistically expect?

The 3 different previous managers says otherwise.

So when a manager of Carlos pedigree comes in and gets this squad playing to its limits (which he has), I'm hard pressed to agree that there would be another manager that would get "more" out of them

Worth pointing out though that Silva got an absolute shedload of criticism in his first season too, despite finishing 8th and picking up some good results.

And that was unjustified too.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, so some people might be able to 'gloat' over being proven right, it still doesn't mean they never acted impatiently or unfairly.

Although it's a bit early to digest the season already, given that we are somehow still in the hunt for European places, I can't help but feel a bit disappointed given the optimism of the first few games. We started so well, but then got overrun by Southampton (?), picked up a few injuries and Carlo seems to have decided that we need to play a different way.
To a certain extent this reflects the fact that Carlo is a good manager. Other managers (looking at you Bobby, fat Frank etc.) don't adapt when things start going pear shaped and believe in "the system" or whatever and end up losing too many games and get the boot for stubbonly staying the same. Carlo looked at what we had, thought "actually, we can't play that way" and made us uber-defensive. I hope we can get some good players in in the summer that Carlo trusts to perform. Although I'm not sure, I don't think his previous teams weren't so defensive-minded, and that we are now only shows that he thinks this is the best way to stay competitive. I suspect a lot of teams look at us in the fixture list and think they are in for a hard game, which I suppose isn't a bad thing. But we're horrible to watch at the moment unfortunately.

Just to use this as one example, it’s this sort of reactionary garbage from people with short memories that winds the rest of us up. It’s not big and it’s not clever.

My favourite is when people say he’s too old school and past it. That his methods are outdated.

As if they have a clue as to the respective merits of different systems and methods at that level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back