Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Claudio Ranieri.

Boom. Roasted.

I won't even dignify the rest of that tripe by quoting it. You are clearly a troll. Now crawl back to whichever RS forum you frequent and stop spamming this 1 with garbage.
Boom! It’s a knockout.

A few things I want to comment on... and also a few disclaimers - didn't watch the match yesterday - too late for me where I am, also Carlo supporter from the start and still believe. Just wanted to comment on how the team has gone this season and how it's going.

First the negative - I think if anything, Carlo has lost a bit of perspective on the team in the second half of the season. I think the team was playing good football in the first half of the season, but with some injuries, that forced Carlo to shuffle guys around, and also overreact a bit after letting in a goal. For Carlo, to move up the table, the defense should be stable first, then steal a goal here or there and win the game. We did that when James and Richarlison were out early on and won games with 4CBs, but that came at a cost of attacking play so that also was unbalanced for Carlo. Then Michael Keane was in exceptional form, so he couldn't be dropped which meant we tried everything, 3 at the back, or sometimes lopsided 3 CBs + either a LB or RB, and then on the other side a RM/LM or wingback, but we generally never went 4-3-3 again with 2CBs and Digne and Coleman. We didn't even really try 4-3-3 with Holgate and James on the right side, because Holgate never got far enough up the pitch. Carlo decided against 4-3-3 because it would basically be a shootout and leaked goals, even though I'd argue it was the best way for the team to score. My point there is I think Carlo even though he's generally a pragmatic boss anyway, and even though he's looking for the right balance as he says, has been too conservative in the second half of the season. I did see the team sheet before going to bed last night, and I thought what the hell was that - 5 defenders vs Sheffield United who sit back. We don't attack enough, we should be playing 4-3-3, we are already safe from relegation and coming from behind trying to chase europe. We get nothing for finishing 8-17th, let's have shootouts, if we leak goals, add a defender or swap them out, but there's been almost 3 months of this. I don't even remember the last time Everton scored 3 goals.

The second thing we have to remember is Carlo and Brands are clearing the squad out. So we've seen it a few times and there's no excuses made on TV, but when you have a bench full of academy players, options are going to be fairly limited. Some of this is down to Everton taking deals for players leaving, there was talk of Bernard and even Siggy going, so you have to take those when you can. It is going to be a couple of years before we don't have a thin squad, because Carlo and Brands will continue to clear out the players they're not interested in. Expect next year to be a transition year as well.

Finally and the real reason why our season has gone downhill in the second half of the year - INJURIES. Digne, Allan, Doucoure, James all had pretty significant injuries this season. When they were healthy we won all our games. They are all playing with knocks, Doucoure is clearly rushed back after they said he'd be out for 2 months, which just so happens to be right now yes, but I still think it was on the early side of it (not that I'm a Doctor or anything). Allan - muscular injury, had another groin injury as well, he's not completely right. Digne is probably not right either because he was more productive in the first half of the season and now he just puts in a 6 out of 10 every game, no offence to him, I just think he's not 100%. And James - I don't think he's been right since the VVD knock. He also played the next game against Southampton and probably made it worse. Tried coming back a few times early. Anyways you had 4 or 5 players who almost certainly not 100% yesterday, its not going to cut it in the premier league because the intensity is too high. You can't have passengers. And no wonder the attacking play has dropped way off in the second half of the year. That's the real reason why we've been terrible in 2021, its not because of James not tracking back, or because Carlo can only manage Ronaldos and Zidances, or because Carlo has no identity in his football, things nobody was saying when we were winning. Misinformation at its finest. We're simply losing because we have injuries, and a small squad and maybe some bad decisions to play these players out of desperation to get into Europe.

I know what you're saying mate but, we were beaten by a Sheff Utd side at home who were relegated ages ago, who were getting bummed left, right and centre and had lost 15 times away from home this season before playing us, surely it should be them who are burned out and devoid of any confidence? At the end of the day we were still fighting for a European place and that should have been a massive motivation.

I think it’s just ingrained in a lot of them, like being unable to deal with pressure.

I mean, even if you look at the likes of Gomes, Mina who were moved on my Barça, is the reason, cause when the going got tough, they couldn’t dig in and find a different level.

I just don’t think they play for the cause and aren’t that invested. I’m 100% adamant. I watched Liverpool’s goalkeeper score a 90th minute winner, Leeds thrash Burnley 4-0 and Leicester win an FA Cup, at the weekend... thats what I want from my players.

If we had players who could dig in, and bring a different level when they needed to, we’d be in Europe this season. The reality is, we don’t have the attacking quality to do so, and we’ve burnt out the players who can do so.

James, DCL, Digne all look goosed, Coleman is absolutely finished, but even he’s burned out because we’ve had to rely on him, most weeks.

That’s where our problems lie, every single Leeds player when I watch them, leave everything on the pitch for that manager, if my team lose, but we’ve given it a go, I can accept it.

But when we take home zero points from Burnley, West Ham, Sheffield United, Crystal Palace, Aston Villa, Newcastle, Fulham at home, you realise you can’t polish a turd, that doesn’t want polishing.
Inject some pace, and we’ve got a decent side, but when Coleman, whos lost his legs now, is starting twice a week, and Gomes is on the pitch sauntering around with no energy at 0-1 down, then we need to change it.

Thats far more damning than the 1st interview.

Players where called out in no uncertain terms .
Embarrased
Terrible
No ideas
I dont want to forget
Angry
I warned them about this game
Professional attitude?
Players where sleeping tonight.

Never seen or heard him like that , he's absolutely fuming.

Big changes coming soon.

I actually feel sorry for him after watching that.

‘the quality of the play was terrible’

Although this was a new low, I’d guess few are surprised we churned out this level of garbage given what we’ve been serving up for months now.

It’s a real shame that our home form has been so bad as we’ve missed a massive opportunity this season to do something really special and lift the club into a major European competition.

I think some of these players have been told during the season to find a new club.
I don’t think most of them will have been told directly, but they’ll know themselves they’re not good enough and will be sold first decent offer we get.

Carlo was fuming after that last night. “Next summer we will change”. He knows this lot are weak mentally and technically and can’t outpass or outplay teams. We’re good away from home because we can defend, but even that’ll change next year with the return of fans because a lot of them are so mentally weak.

He’d happily see half of this lot out on their arses. Very frank discussion with Marcel incoming, and I highly doubt we’ll even pretend to adhere to FFP.

Yes, he inherited some good players. But Rodgers has added well to them with the likes of Tielemanns, Castagne, Fofana and Perez. He got the best out of a player like Maddison.

He's done what all good managers should do: evolve a team that's doing ok but needs to get to the next level.
Rodgers doesn't buy the players, he coaches them. We need a recruitment team like Leicester.

The only slight positive is that sometimes things need to get really bad before they can get better. And last night was horrendous.

There is nowhere to hide for certain players anymore. The problem is that most of those who underperformed were players who we really won't have wanted to sell. There might be one or two of our perceived better players who are moved on. If that's what the manager wants to do then he should be supported. To be honest we have only 4 or 5 players who I would be annoyed if they left.

It is not relevant, but, if we had been a top club then this might have been relevant. Bielsa had come into conflict with owners, players, and everything in the club. He would be too demanding, and you would never get players like Ronaldo to play this way. But we are not a top club, we are an average PL club that has not won anything in 25 years. If there is one thing Bielsa has experience with, it is just that. Transforming completely mediocre clubs to be able to compete with the best clubs. In addition, the fans will get lots of entertainment, in the form of many high-intensity sprints, speed, tackles, duels, etc. Such a type would be perfect for us.

Based on what evidence? Leeds?

Longest he's stayed at a club is 2 years.
Only type of success is a Europa League final (where he was leathered) and a Copa del Ray...which is also lost for Bilbao who weren't exactly 'transformed' as they were generally a midtable team.

So apart from Leeds...why are people so up for a feller who's been in management from the 90s think he's gonna turn our squad of losers into winners?

Look at some of the sides he’s managed, the players he’s signed.

Then he comes here and in the last 5 years we’ve paid

£28m Bolasie
£45m Sigurdsson
£25m Keane
£34m Iwobi
£28m Mina
£25m Gomes
£28m Tosun
£20m Walcott

On paper, that is spending which wins you trophies, gets you in contention. Honestly, for the first time, I genuinely feel he could walk away, and can you blame him?

We’re a poison chalice.

The only constant has been the players. They have failed time and time again.

This team time and time again let’s us all down
All the defeats are probably the best thing to happen as the cracks are not papered over
Something has to be done. No excuses as the players have had more than enough chances to improve their shambolic attitude.
It’s obvious we lack pace all over the park except for Godfrey. Richarlson can do one as his attitude is appalling.
Carlo and Brands have a busy summer ahead. I just hope our manager has the stomach for it.

He's very well regarded but does things only his own way. For that to work you have to have the manager be bigger than any player, any CEO, any owner. Maybe even the club. At Leeds he's found that which is why he's stayed for so long. Even still he won't sign an extension for longer than a year at a time.

Make no mistake, in many ways he's a genius. Just not a stable or consistent one.

He's a genius cos Pep says? He's won zero. He falls out with everyone.

People are just knee jerking against the manager who personally has seen enough of his squad.

I'd be more worried about Carlo leaving with this squad.

Thats far more damning than the 1st interview.

Players where called out in no uncertain terms .
Embarrased
Terrible
No ideas
I dont want to forget
Angry
I warned them about this game
Professional attitude?
Players where sleeping tonight.

Never seen or heard him like that , he's absolutely fuming.

Big changes coming soon.

His career is taking a huge hit managing us at the moment. Only Everton can do that.

I hope he stays to prove what he really wants. Change this club.

Mark my words... bigger clubs will be looking at pinching Carlo in the summer. He's easy target to get him out of the hell hole of this club.

We lack pace both physically and mentally. Other teams move the ball quickly and generally forward. We pass back and forth around our own penalty area and bring pressure on when a quick ball forward not only sets up an attack but is also entertaining. Sadly we have too many players who appear to have no heart for getting stuck in and actually trying to win the ball. Very frustrating indeed and a complete mindset change is needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back