Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thing is with the Ole shout you could say the same about Koeman and Silva, the time shout dosent work as for every manager that questions were asked about who turned it around, there are dozens that had to go as they showed little evidence of being the right man. Carlo is starting to fall into that category, and by right man we mean right man for Everton. I the last 20 years only Moyes has shown that, Carlo was the right man at Chelsea are situations are worlds apart.

We still have a pretty decent points haul and at no point did we look in relegation trouble as we did with Silva and Koeman. If we had fans in the ground I would be a lot more worried than I am now, I think with fans they don't coast through for fear of the backlash.

We have to start playing of course but he deserves our understanding, oil tankers don't turn on a sixpence and at least he isn't pulling any punches or giving lame excuses. That seems to be someone with a plan to me.

Our recruitment in the wide midfield/forwards has been terrible and it really is depressing to see Gylfi and James playing left and right midfield yesterday. If we ship out Walcott, Bolasie, Bernard and Iwobi this summer that would be a massive result. Four players who have taken big wages and contributed well, well below requirements for a team chasing Europe. Get in a couple of players who make forward runs, can beat a man and have some end product and we’ll see a big improvement. Pathetic wide play isn’t the only problem but it’s big part of the issue and surely Carlo will insist Brands remedies it this summer.

Had such high expectations of Carlo when we got him. Feeling more than a tad disappointed with him at the moment. I think we probably all need to maybe just take it on the chin & accept that this season has been really screwed by the pandemic. Just look at how many away teams are winning their games in comparison to other seasons. It's beyond belief. The rs go from being virtually unbeatable at home for 3 seasons to losing 6 on the bounce for the first time in their history. Look at us losing at home recently to 2 sides that are going down. Hopefully with fans back in the grounds next season a little bit of normality will ensue & places like Goodison will be a tough place for away sides to play.

You say about the injuries to said players, no different to us losing all 3 of our midfielders at multiple times this season.

Leeds were underachieving in the championship, before he came, no doubt they had good players for that league. Just mismanaged. The same can’t be said for this Everton squad. It isn’t good enough.
You say ‘championship plodders’ they aren’t doing as well as Sheffield United did last season, and look how that’s ended up this season? No doubt bielsa is a good manager, he would struggle with this squad. And his big challenge would be next season achieving the same level as this season, something that teams do tend to struggle with. Again, the same as Sheffield United and wilder.
Before Bielsa arrived we were bottom 3 of the form table for the entire calender year.

Dont let our midtable finish cloud this, we were dire and went from that to spending more time top 2 than Sheffield United and Norwich combined the next season with only 1 new regular player.

Sheffield United and Wolves had nothing like the injury issues we have had in their first seasons.

Liam Cooper (Captain) has missed 13 games this season.

Kalvin Phillips has missed 9 games.

Robin Koch and Diego Llorente the 2 players we signed to help our defence in the Prem have missed 17 games each this season.

Rodrigo has missed 12 league games.

Even Raphinha has missed 8 games.

Despite all that we are only 1 point behind where Wolves and Blades were at the same point in their 1st seasons with a better goal difference and 2 fixtures remaining against teams we have already beaten giving usthe opportunity to beat the points totals of both.

And since we got Diego Llorente back from injury we sit 7th in the form table ahead of you, West Ham and Leicester.

I think the difference between us and Sheffield United for example is they struggled to score which is always the hardest part of football, we havent and whereas our defence improved vastly as the season progressed their attacking issues didnt.

Our form over the season has gotten better, theirs got worse. Despite all the Bielsa burnout stuff we sit 6th in the form table over the last 10 games with the 3rd best defence, that has coincided with Diego Llorente and Robin Koch returning from injury.

MB has totally changed our club and i have no doubt that if given everything he required like we have he would do the same for any other club.

But most clubs wont do that, he wouldn't get the control he needs at a lot of clubs and if he doesnt get that he wont take the job.

Money and trophies dont motivate Bielsa, projects do, he has a history of rejecting jobs that he didn't feel were the right fit or the right time.

Inter Milan in the 2010s
Real Madrid in the early 2000s
Napoli in the 2010s
Sampdoria in the 2010s
Roma in the 2010s
Sevilla in the 2010s
And possibly Barcelona also.

He is unique in his approach but also in how he decides on his managerial positions.

I saw someone earlier say thay throwing huge money at Bielsa would tempt him, it wouldn't.

He gave away his first year salary with us to his beloved club in Argentina so they could build a training ground.

He is already a very wealthy man who lives a very simple life, throwing a large cheque at him wouldn't convince him at all.

Long post alert lol sorry.

It wasn't an unfair target at all, and never should be for us. But on last nights evidence alone, it seemed that very much it is unfair.

We are all looking for some hook we can hang on to, be it a higher league placing than last season, more points etc.

That doesn't matter as much to me and in that sense, we could still have qualified for Europe on a false pretence. By false I mean, acheived on the back of nothing tangible on the pitch that would give me a concrete sense of confidence that it would be built on and bettered the following season.

We could finish 9th or 10th for example and still say there is more to come from this group, if they were young players growing and progressing in the team, the peak yet to be reached. Likewise we could have finished 6th with none of those shoots of growth present.

We are at the stage where it seems yet another fork in the road has been reached and we need another overhaul. I'd genuinely rather next three or more seasons doing that in a methodical way and build for the future based on youth and clever recruitment, than applying sticking plasters. I'd be willing to endure the labour pains that would involve to produce a better squad and team in time.

At the moment we have nothing of this, no progression and no real tentative signs of progression. The short-termism has to stop and we have to try and grow and develop organically. The manager of the day, whoever it is, gets a lot of support from me if that's the system he is working hard to implement with the DOF.

The problem is mate, I don't think the owner, or manager want to endure that short term pain.

The football is subjective, and in patches I'd say it was. The results are probably a bit better.
No probably about it, the one game that I’ll always remember is Arsenal away. We started with 7 defenders and were still 4-0 down at half time, the vile gravy swiller. Id also refer to the monkeys off our backs this year at Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool.

We aren't pragmatic. Pragmatic is the best way to achieve something. That's not what we are in our home games. We're completely the opposite. Pragmatic would be realising playing Davies helps get the best out of Allan. It would be realising that Richarlison and Dom aren't working together as a pair. It would be realising that we don't want James dropping in to pick the ball up from the CBs. It would be realising that Doucoure should be used to join in with the attack, not play at right-back.

Yeah, he keeps saying these things, yet we keep getting worse.

It's on him as well.

But like our good players - who also take their blame - he'll be here next season. But it's on him to come up with a plan that's going to help us build. That isn't camping on our box and it isn't getting outplayed by genuine dire crap who will struggle in the Championship next season.

He's made some bafflingly bad decisions and his tenure so far has not delivered at all, so he needs to buck his ideas up, stop just saying it's attitude, and change. Because if not we're up the creek without a paddle. Yes, if Carlo can't save us, then maybe it is who can? But we have to start questioning why he keeps setting us up to keep falling. Why not approach the home games like we do the away games? Why is there no evidence that we actually work on ANYTHING other than defending on the edge of our own box?

So I agree with all of your points, but believe my above ones need to be added into that. And let's not bother starting with our DoF yet, he's got the most simple job you could ask for this summer so let's hope he doesn't cock it up.

I've always felt he believed too much in most of the players. Then slowly as the season went on, he realised to a point now that think he knows he can't.

You can get that from the interviews. There's been games where he's been uncharacteristically furious on the touchline. Then in interviews he gradually becomes more and more baffled by what the players are doing.

I'm not removing him from all blame (the wing back idea with Davies and Iwobi was utter madness). But I do think that teams he's managed, he's had players with stronger mentalities that what he has now.

So when he says "each game is a fight for Europe" then the players go out with performances like last night...they're clearly not listening to him.

Said right from the off, he'll suffer no fools. And his statement about bringing quality in last night just proves to me that some of these players should be looking for new homes.

I've always felt he believed too much in most of the players. Then slowly as the season went on, he realised to a point now that think he knows he can't.

You can get that from the interviews. There's been games where he's been uncharacteristically furious on the touchline. Then in interviews he gradually becomes more and more baffled by what the players are doing.

I'm not removing him from all blame (the wing back idea with Davies and Iwobi was utter madness). But I do think that teams he's managed, he's had players with stronger mentalities that what he has now.

So when he says "each game is a fight for Europe" then the players go out with performances like last night...they're clearly not listening to him.

Said right from the off, he'll suffer no fools. And his statement about bringing quality in last night just proves to me that some of these players should be looking for new homes.

I'd have liked to have seen him back up his words yesterday by actually making changes early. A change in shape, dragging somebody off and showing he doesn't suffer fools.

Waited until HT, then we do our usual crap second-half performance

...the club have put this pic out on their Facebook page;

DFDBFFD8-36A5-4915-9E0D-3EF1D9274E18.jpeg

....I suspect we’re all a bit like this after last night.

Moshiri's heart is in the right place but he's clueless when it comes to football.

I assume Kenwright had some stipulation that when he first bought 49% of the club he would be allowed to stay on however at this stage Moshiri needs to remove him by any loophole necessary and bring in someone like Dein who knows what he's doing regarding the running of a football club.

Give Dein control of the footballing matters and either remove Brands or give him a clear mandate of what he needs to do over the next 12 months and review his position at the end of next season.
Moshiri wants full control and then wastes millions on hiring people he can then by-pass.

The DoF role is redundant under him, so why he hires them is anyone's guess.

He wants high profile managers to get us there and he thinks they are apporopriate for the massive attitudinal changes required and changes the players must make and for creating an identity for the club. He thinks that hiring winners get's you a winning manager for this club. He is 100% wrong.

Moshiri is both our enabler (stadium) and our misfortune (enormous financial waster on the playing side).

Last edited:
I'd have liked to have seen him back up his words yesterday by actually making changes early. A change in shape, dragging somebody off and showing he doesn't suffer fools.

Waited until HT, then we do our usual crap second-half performance
This is it for me. Almost every game follows the exact same pattern and yet we do absolutely nothing to change it. If he's only just realising that the players can't do what he's asking then he's a quite astonishingly slow learner. I said all this after the Anfield cup debacle last year, it looks like he just sends them out like he would have done with one of his great sides and thinks they can just outplay the opposition, but they can't. That was 18 months ago and we're still doing it. The squad isn't great but it isn't as horrendous as people make out. They need structure and plans in order to maximise what we have, and we just don't seem to have them.

This is it for me. Almost every game follows the exact same pattern and yet we do absolutely nothing to change it. If he's only just realising that the players can't do what he's asking then he's a quite astonishingly slow learner. I said all this after the Anfield cup debacle last year, it looks like he just sends them out like he would have done with one of his great sides and thinks they can just outplay the opposition, but they can't. That was 18 months ago and we're still doing it. The squad isn't great but it isn't as horrendous as people make out. They need structure and plans in order to maximise what we have, and we just don't seem to have them.
And the thing is, we do see this away from home. Ultimately though, it's just 'sit deep and snatch a scrappy one'.

Which, after 18 months, is complete tosh that it's all we can do.

To an extent I agree with you. There has been too many different team selections duriong the course of the season and not just down to injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back