Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
God this thread is worse than I thought it would be. Hands up who would have sacked Ole after his first season and how many would now? Give the man time, no one is saying yesterday was faultless display by anyone including Carlo. Everything needs to get better around here and we'll judge after a couple more seasons whether he is or isn't the right man for the job.
Thing is with the Ole shout you could say the same about Koeman and Silva, the time shout dosent work as for every manager that questions were asked about who turned it around, there are dozens that had to go as they showed little evidence of being the right man. Carlo is starting to fall into that category, and by right man we mean right man for Everton. I the last 20 years only Moyes has shown that, Carlo was the right man at Chelsea are situations are worlds apart.

Perhaps he over-reached with aiming for Europe after seeing the way we ended last season. But its good to show some ambition and he had to throw us a bone, especially after the positivity surrounding the summer signings and the way we started the season.

We have some very average players, but I don't accept that as a collective unit they are as bad as what we are seeing every week. We don't have an identity, we don't looked drilled, we don't look fit.

We are standing still at best but may have to go backwards to go forwards. Whoever the manager is, I'd appreciate if they told us, and it came from the club generally, what we are trying to do and achieve. I don't mean just a generic "Europe" in that sense. That's why we need a distinctive model and way of playing. We should not be a home for players on the way down in their careers.

I'd have liked, or would like us to become one of the natural homes in English football for young and emerging talent, from wherever we can source those players. Putting a team like that together takes time and requires a very methodical approach but you can offer progressive improvement with players who are hungry and eager to prove their worth. I want everything at Everton, but I'd settle for basic levels of good attitude, commitment, team shape, organisation, and fitness at present. It's galling to say we don't have near enough of those things.

I hope Ancelotti has realised at least this season that the current approach isn't working and won't work. Whatever grandfatherly or favourite uncle persona he adopts at clubs isn't going to work here either. I'm not suggesting he arrives a FF with a pitchfork but the Mr. Nice Guy routine gets him nowhere here. If he can't break the code at Everton this summer he isn't going to do it at all.

I mean I try to defend Ancelotti, and in general I am in support of him, but I don't think an aim of European football was an unfair target. He took over mid season last year, and essentially we showed form that was around 7/8th in the league. While we didn't spent enormous sums of money, to expect us to improve a bit more to nudge into the top 7 was not unrealistic to me.

I mean I try to defend Ancelotti, and in general I am in support of him, but I don't think an aim of European football was an unfair target. He took over mid season last year, and essentially we showed form that was around 7/8th in the league. While we didn't spent enormous sums of money, to expect us to improve a bit more to nudge into the top 7 was not unrealistic to me.
He’s got a better team than Big Sam did. Is the football much better? Or the results? Genuine question as I don’t know Sam’s record v Carlos.

Said it many times he’s underperformed massively. Man for man that squad should batter Fulham, Newcastle, blades and even west ham.

That’s on him not motivating them.

can’t help but think there’s some infighting going on or richarlison is moving on...

It’s alright though. We will be able to score a goal against Championship side Sheffield and Fulham when Carlo has spent another £100m. He just can’t do it yet as we have non-league players (apparently - I thought we would be good when Allan, Doucoure etc are back? That’s what you all told me!)
Mate, jesus christ, just give it a rest...

Agree.But it's not realistic if the players down tools at home for months?! Whoever that is on it's unacceptable.

He’s got a better team than Big Sam did. Is the football much better? Or the results? Genuine question as I don’t know Sam’s record v Carlos.
Yes, very obviously, to all three. You only need to take a step back to see it.

So much knee jerking today it's unreal.

It’s alright though. We will be able to score a goal against Championship side Sheffield and Fulham when Carlo has spent another £100m. He just can’t do it yet as we have non-league players (apparently - I thought we would be good when Allan, Doucoure etc are back? That’s what you all told me!)

Hello.

This was you, just a few weeks ago on 13th April.

They tried that route with Mourinho and it didn’t work.

OGS won’t win them titles but he’s building a very impressive team, bringing through youth and getting rid of anyone who won’t sweat blood for the club

If anything Solsjkaer has done an incredible job so far - Manure fans are right to be fed up with Glazers spending the club’s money on debt repayments every year

Ancelotti will do same with us once we get rid of all the average players and have hard working ones in his style who want to win at all costs

Swear this place is proof Everton send their fans insane.

It wasn't an unfair target at all, and never should be for us. But on last nights evidence alone, it seemed that very much it is unfair.

We are all looking for some hook we can hang on to, be it a higher league placing than last season, more points etc.

That doesn't matter as much to me and in that sense, we could still have qualified for Europe on a false pretence. By false I mean, acheived on the back of nothing tangible on the pitch that would give me a concrete sense of confidence that it would be built on and bettered the following season.

We could finish 9th or 10th for example and still say there is more to come from this group, if they were young players growing and progressing in the team, the peak yet to be reached. Likewise we could have finished 6th with none of those shoots of growth present.

We are at the stage where it seems yet another fork in the road has been reached and we need another overhaul. I'd genuinely rather next three or more seasons doing that in a methodical way and build for the future based on youth and clever recruitment, than applying sticking plasters. I'd be willing to endure the labour pains that would involve to produce a better squad and team in time.

At the moment we have nothing of this, no progression and no real tentative signs of progression. The short-termism has to stop and we have to try and grow and develop organically. The manager of the day, whoever it is, gets a lot of support from me if that's the system he is working hard to implement with the DOF.

Last edited:

I think he knows the players aren't good enough and is trying to grind out results to get us where we need to be. I think our football has been turgid this season, but it is a means to an end.... Hopefully
Then, again, why did we play and score for fun at the beginning of the year with all the same players who stank out yesterday?

Then, again, why did we play and score for fun at the beginning of the year with all the same players who stank out yesterday?
See even Ancelotti himself admitted that those performances caught him by surprise and that 'the bubble will burst' eventually. He actually said that back in October.

Again - he knows this squad is severely limited.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back