Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
That latest interview really is the end of the line for a lot of these players.

But he's not going to magically replace 10 (or however many) players in one go.

We don't have a team of world class players that need a bit of light management.

Maybe Carlo needs to rethink the benevolent, paternal style of coaching for the situation we're in.

I'm not convinced that works anymore in modern football or the benign training regime we seem to have.
It can work, players have to take responsibility for themselves though.

It can work, players have to take responsibility for themselves though.

Agree. If you have players with the correct attitude, naturally competitive, self pride, desire to improve and a desire to win then it'll work. I doubt players like Ronaldo (obviously extreme example) need much encouragement in training.

Instead, we seem to have assembled a team of has beens and never beens who don't hate getting beat and are happy for a pay day. Minus a select few.

Agree. If you have players with the correct attitude, naturally competitive, self pride, desire to improve and a desire to win then it'll work. I doubt players like Ronaldo (obviously extreme example) need much encouragement in training.
I think Carlo has said in his book that the top players are top players because they do everything professionally every day, always have the right attitude and can be trusted to manage themselves to a certain degree.

Our lot earn too much money and never get close to winning anything and it causes them to coast through their careers in my opinion, unless they have an iron hand but then they sulk.

I think Carlo has said in his book that the top players are top players because they do everything professionally every day, always have the right attitude and can be trusted to manage themselves to a certain degree.

Our lot earn too much money and never get close to winning anything and it causes them to coast through their careers in my opinion, unless they have an iron hand but then they sulk.

Exactly. Just having natural talent isn't enough to reach the top. Using Ronaldo as an example again, he could have easily just become another top quality player. He looked a bit of a one trick pony and skinny at United. He learned under Fergie and with his desire to be the best he has become, alongside Messi, the best player in a generation.

Plenty of examples of talented players not making it because of their attitude and application.

Carlo needs a few years, it's as simple as that for me. The players we've bought this summer are a step in the right direction.

I haven’t ignored it but it’s hardly a glowing endorsement.

He was in position to get them CL football this season but they’ve folded. Now I know he’s had a good season with them but it still stinks of ‘close but no cigar’ - which was a good description of his time at Everton.

I’m a big fan of Moyes time here btw, most my good memories are of his Everton sides. But he ultimately couldn’t push us on which is what we all crave.
I don't want to harp on about Moyes as he no longer has anything to do with us.. But to say he couldn't push us on is a touch unfair. Chelsea, Man u, Spurs, Arsenal and for the last part City all had wealthy owners and had cracking sides, Moyes was managing here skint yet we very often were reffered to as best of the rest. We now have the money yet we're still in the same position except the rest got rich too.

Carlo needs to be held to account for the descrepency in home and away form, but I think we will look back at missing out on Europe due to this bad run of form as a blessing in disguise.

It gives further impetus for major squad renovation. If Carlo had papered the cracks and we had finished 5th/6th we may not have gone as hard this Summer in the search of replacement. The last two months has shown how bad some of these players are and have been for some time. It's time they go, not Carlo.

Get him the next 4/5 players he needs, like last Summer and then we can judge Carlo more harshly.

A Carlo starting XI of the below deserves to be judged as 'Carlo's team':

Pickford
New RB Mina Godfrey Digne
Doucoure Allan
New RW James Richarlison
DCL

Three simple questions on relation to our manager.
What part is he allowing Duncan Ferguson to play in the managerial setup as I believe the Scot would not have allowed the apathy we have seen from the team recently.
Why did he not see that Allen has demonstrated a far better attitude going forward to add to our attacking capabilities when playing alongside Davies, the latter dropped recently despite good performances.
What was the point if having Nkounkou on the bench game after game when the manager clearly had no intention of using the youngsters badly needed pace and crossing ability, surely the lad would have been better sent out on loan to get some game time.

He's been managing great teams for the last 20 years, full of world class players and leaders.

A bit like with Napoli last season he's baffled managing players who aren't up to the standard he's used to

He did well at Napoli. The chairman is just a mental case.

The core squad is an 8th based team. Proved this over a few seasons. We have a few additions that Carlo has brought in that have boosted us to overcome obstacles (away form, top 6 record, beating Spurs, RS, Arsenal away in decades). While the points return is an improvement due to the moments of quality we have, on a season as a whole the 25 man squad is 8th.

That's the limit of 90% of the squad bar 5 players.

That to me is the issue.

He did well at Napoli. The chairman is just a mental case.

They were back in the top 4 this season with a game to go. They were nearer the bottom last year when Carlo left.

He did better in his first year there, but he's used to managing top players and top teams and squads. Even the Napoli he inherited were a CL team in Italy.

I think Ancellotti has ruined Nkounkous confidence by selecting that waste of space Digne every game. We already know the kid is better at crossing than the Frog, the trouble starts again when the crosses rain in
our resident 'Bozos' upfront let us down again by not scoring enough goals.

They were back in the top 4 this season with a game to go. They were nearer the bottom last year when Carlo left.

He did better in his first year there, but he's used to managing top players and top teams and squads. Even the Napoli he inherited were a CL team in Italy.

No they weren't. He was sacked in December 2019 and they were about 7th and in the knockouts of the champions league.

The chairman didn't like some of the performances and fined the players, wanted them for extra training that Carlo refused to do.

I think Ancellotti has ruined Nkounkous confidence by selecting that waste of space Digne every game. We already know the kid is better at crossing than the Frog, the trouble starts again when the crosses rain in
our resident 'Bozos' upfront let us down again by not scoring enough goals.
Frog, grow up lad. Digne has some of the highest assist stats in the division, the problem is we are overly reliant on him, literally every attack goes down the left and so his mistakes seem magnified. Least of our problems.

I haven’t ignored it but it’s hardly a glowing endorsement.

He was in position to get them CL football this season but they’ve folded. Now I know he’s had a good season with them but it still stinks of ‘close but no cigar’ - which was a good description of his time at Everton.

I’m a big fan of Moyes time here btw, most my good memories are of his Everton sides. But he ultimately couldn’t push us on which is what we all crave.
He didn't have the huge resources under Bill in those days. Had a tight reign, not like the money Mosh has brought us. He may have brought in a few dross players when in office but brought in a hell of good ones. In the last half dozen years or so we've flushed a lot of money down the toilet with the much bigger transfer fees.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back