Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ancelotti

“ We are strong without the ball and direct. I think one of the technical reasons of this home run is this.

“We don’t have players of strong personality with the ball, strong quality with the ball.

“When we try to build up from the back we have some more difficulties because we play slow.

"Maybe, for next season, we need to try and have, for sure, a better squad."

Calling a spade a spade there tbf.

The feller has been there and won the lot.

If he sees that the squad of players can only do one thing well and others poorly, I ain't arguing.

Carlo knows.

Quotes are obviously spot on but his whole tone was "I've had enough of these bums"

Worth a watch

View attachment 127535
Yep I just watched it.

The point he made about not winning every title he won due to the quality of the team bu rather the quality of their spirit and attitude says a lot.

These players have given up putting the effort again under yet another manager and this time Carlo isn't having it. He knows they can't just push him out like they did with Martinez, Koeman and Silva.

I don't think some of the players realize that they aren't in charge now. He definitely wants to see the back of some of them.

Is it slightly worrying that having won 2 from 14 playing a distinct style, we set up exactly the same against one hell of a poor side and made it 2/15?

You mean last Sunday?

I'm sure he wanted us on the front foot. We're at home, we should attack, he's said that before. And we've flopped.

'When we play a certain way we're really successful, but I keep telling them not to play like that and then we lose'. I'm not entirely sure you need to be a magician to see the issue there to be honest, but yeah let's praise him for being honest.

All the biffs wanting expansive football when a 3 times champions league winner looks at the squad and goes "really? With this lot?"

Yep I just watched it.

The point he made about not winning every title he won due to the quality of the team bu rather the quality of their spirit and attitude says a lot.

These players have given up putting the effort again under yet another manager and this time Carlo isn't having it. He knows they can't just push him out like they did with Martinez, Koeman and Silva.

I don't think some of the players realize that they aren't in charge now. He definitely wants to see the back of some of them.

dont we all.
but if he actually meant this why did we give a contract extension to the lines of donkey keane and talk of one to sigurdsson too

dont we all.
but if he actually meant this why did we give a contract extension to the lines of donkey keane and talk of one to sigurdsson too
Well the question is how much of that was his decision? Brands could have decided to give them extensions to retain some value in the hopes of selling them possibly. We don't know.

Keane was looking alright at the time he signed. Can't get behind any extension for the Icelandic fraud myself though.

All the biffs wanting expansive football when a 3 times champions league winner looks at the squad and goes "really? With this lot?"

On the one hand some people were like ‘I could take mixed results if we saw evidence that a style of play was being worked on’.

When Carlo says he tried to play a more expansive front foot style even though the players couldn’t do it and the results weren’t very good - ‘why did he do that?’

Was it too much to ask to beat Sheffield, Fulham and Newcastle at home with any squad? Now count these points and see the difference...

I'm not sure anyone has really asked for expansive football. There's a rather large chasm between what we play and what City play for example, so we could be more expansive without actually being expansive as such. Let's not pretend that our home performances are in any way expansive. This isn't like watching Martinez trying to take teams on in a basketball game, in at least half the home losses we've been outshot by the opposition. But the point is, at what point would you expect a manager to say 'actually, we'll just stick to what we're good at'? 15 games seems like banging your head against a brick wall a little too many times to be honest, I'd have thought at some point he'd have thought to try something else.

Was it too much to ask to beat Sheffield, Fulham and Newcastle at home with any squad? Now count these points and see the difference...

Of course. But he's not wrong is he?

Played defensive and compact we won more than when we attempted to attack.

The backlash was always "we should attack against Newcastle etc" and we weren't good enough collectively.

I'm not sure anyone has really asked for expansive football. There's a rather large chasm between what we play and what City play for example, so we could be more expansive without actually being expansive as such. Let's not pretend that our home performances are in any way expansive. This isn't like watching Martinez trying to take teams on in a basketball game, in at least half the home losses we've been outshot by the opposition. But the point is, at what point would you expect a manager to say 'actually, we'll just stick to what we're good at'? 15 games seems like banging your head against a brick wall a little too many times to be honest, I'd have thought at some point he'd have thought to try something else.
Surely some of it is a tactical issue though. It’s easier for us to play counter attacking football against teams who come on to us and dominate possession. The teams who come to goodison and set up to keep it tight have more success because we are useless when asked to make the running. Agree Carlo could maybe have tried something more radical but that probably means throwing in the kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back