Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure anyone has really asked for expansive football. There's a rather large chasm between what we play and what City play for example, so we could be more expansive without actually being expansive as such. Let's not pretend that our home performances are in any way expansive. This isn't like watching Martinez trying to take teams on in a basketball game, in at least half the home losses we've been outshot by the opposition. But the point is, at what point would you expect a manager to say 'actually, we'll just stick to what we're good at'? 15 games seems like banging your head against a brick wall a little too many times to be honest, I'd have thought at some point he'd have thought to try something else.

It's been pointed out he trusts players too much.

Really hanging the players out to dry. Never a good sign. Unless he's been promosed signficiant transfer activity this summer

Surely some of it is a tactical issue though. It’s easier for us to play counter attacking football against teams who come on to us and dominate possession. The teams who come to goodison and set up to keep it tight have more success because we are useless when asked to make the running. Agree Carlo could maybe have tried something more radical but that probably means throwing in the kids.
Yeah that's true to an extent. Like I say though, loads of these teams that have beaten us at Goodison have taken the game to us. Villa certainly didn't set up to keep it tight, nor did Fulham or Leeds. That's just off the top of my head. It's as if we're saying 'we've got to attack because we're at home' but why? If the fans were in you can understand it because they'll encourage you forward, but behind closed doors there's no reason why you can't adopt away game tactics at home.

It's been pointed out he trusts players too much.
Yes and that's fine. It's then just a case of whether you say 'ah bless him he's just such a nice lovable bloke and he just really wants these players to come good so much that he keeps giving them chances even though they don't deserve them, it's endearing' or say 'We're not paying you £10m a year to be popular mate, make decisions that win matches not ones that get you a christmas card'. It would appear you're in the former camp and i'm in the latter.

Yes and that's fine. It's then just a case of whether you say 'ah bless him he's just such a nice lovable bloke and he just really wants these players to come good so much that he keeps giving them chances even though they don't deserve them, it's endearing' or say 'We're not paying you £10m a year to be popular mate, make decisions that win matches not ones that get you a christmas card'. It would appear you're in the former camp and i'm in the latter.
Needs a bit of in between to be fair, the latter didn’t work very well for Mourinho at United or Spurs

Translation: This lot are bad eggs.
End of last season (paraphrasing from memory):
‘We have a lot of quality in the midfield, I am happy’
*goes out and buys three midfielders*

End of this season he’s now gone a step further and said quality isn’t enough to win trophies and we will have a better squad next year, love that.

These are the words of a man who’s here for the long haul by the way, he’s calmly livid but he wants to leave a legacy and will cull the cowards to do so.

Not overly in that camp and I agree. I'm all for the win at all costs no matter how ugly it seems.

But surely there's a fine line with applying tactics away at the RS then doing the same at home to Burnley for example. He'd want his team to be more on the front foot against "lesser" opposition. If not, he'd have gone full Jose and got binned.

Needs a bit of in between to be fair, the latter didn’t work very well for Mourinho at United or Spurs
Yeah very much so. In this case though i'm talking solely on a footballing level. If you know the team is capable of getting results a certain way but struggle when asked to do something different, then maybe just do the thing that gets the results. Having loads of faith in players to do something that they continually show themselves to be unable to do isn't really a desirable trait in a manager.

He's clearly a very very good manager, maybe one of the best, but I do think it's taken him too long to realise that things are different when your players aren't gifted. It's not that I don't have faith in him or think he can't take us forward, but I think we need to see a bit of the revolution he mentioned not needing if that's going to happen. I have no doubt he can get the best out of a group of top class players, but i'm not sure he knows how to get the best out of a mediocre bunch. For that reason, this summer is absolutely vital.

Really hanging the players out to dry. Never a good sign. Unless he's been promosed signficiant transfer activity this summer

Agree dangerous game in modern football to call out the dressing room unless he's confident he'll have a good 4-5 signings to come in this summer and replace the current lot.

Otherwise they could very well down tools and see him gone certainly if they feel he isn't accepting much of the criticism towards his tactics etc.

Not overly in that camp and I agree. I'm all for the win at all costs no matter how ugly it seems.

But surely there's a fine line with applying tactics away at the RS then doing the same at home to Burnley for example. He'd want his team to be more on the front foot against "lesser" opposition. If not, he'd have gone full Jose and got binned.
Yeah I get that. I've said a few times, personally I think these players can play better football than this, just not the way they're set up at the moment. If you look at the latter Moyes teams for example, they played some really good stuff, but they didn't overplay - they got it forward early and then played from there. It wasn't route one, it was just direct. I think this team is capable of that type of football (just as one example) but we don't try to play that way, we ask the defenders to start playing out and they simply don't have the ability to do it, so we pass the ball about aimlessly for a bit before it inevitably goes awry because we're asking people to do things they aren't really comfortable with. It often looks to me like we're going out saying 'impose yourselves on the game, be brave etc' without ever putting plans in place for what that actually entails. But even if we accept that i'm wrong and they can't do that, there have been plenty of games - I mentioned Leeds, Fulham and Villa as examples - where we definitely could have adopted our away tactics but didn't. Villa were galloping through our midfield at will and at no point did we ever seem to say actually shall we just tighten up and look to nick one. It's that that I struggle to understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back