Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Uh oh if we play even worse football next season because he gives up on our players trying to pass it.
Didn't sound like that was his intention
His intention was ‘if I have these players next season then expect the same and the only way to get results is play without possession’ what he’s really saying is get rid of these bunch of crabs or nothing will change

Throw every one of them under the bus.

and then reverse back over them.

EDCBE422-2783-4738-BA2F-FC1176F5E63C.webp

Nearly all of this squad havent won a single thing in their career.
Not even sure where the expectations come from.
Move
Them
On.

Think some of them downed tools a long time ago.
I appreciate you are in the Carlo out camp but you are clutching at straws with this over exaggerated concern.

Im not Carlo out mate I've said numerous times he deserves next season but I've certainly not been impressed with certain elements of his management so far.

Think he has to improve just as much as the players - namely picking a formation/system and largely sticking to it otherwise we'll never have consistency if the players can never gel playing a set way every week.

Baines and Pienaar / Jags and Lescott would never have built the partnerships they did on the pitch if Moyes played 5+ different formations over one season and swapping and changing the defence on a near weekly basis. Too much tinkering never does a side any good.

Im not Carlo out mate I've said numerous times he deserves next season but I've certainly not been impressed with certain elements of his management so far.

Think he has to improve just as much as the players - namely picking a formation/system and largely sticking to it otherwise we'll never have consistency if the players can never gel playing a set way every week.

Baines and Pienaar / Jags and Lescott would never have built the partnerships they did on the pitch if Moyes played 5+ different formations over one season and swapping and changing the defence on a near weekly basis. Too much tinkering never does a side any good.
Apologies if I misunderstood

Whilst I agree with that, the difference is Baines Pienaar Jags and Lescott were a billion miles above what we have now. Lescott was so mobile and good on the ball he could play left back like Ben Godfrey but with end product. Baines holds the premier league assist record for a full back and all three were first choice for England in and around the 2014 World Cup.

There’s a reason they weren’t rotated, because they were very very good. There’s just no comparison between Keane and Holgate playing calamity capers at the back and what was probably the best pairing in the league behind Vidic and Ferdinand at the time.

You look at the Moyes lineups from 07-10 and go through who would get in this team.

Howard, Hibbert, Jags Lescott Yobo Baines Arteta Pienaar Cahill Fellaini Yakubu Osman all walk into this team. Out of the current squad I think only James definitely gets in a best Moyes 11. That group of players were finishing 5-7th. We’re now expecting a far inferior group to equal or surpass that. Levels.

I agree though that if we can get a quality injection over the summer, keep more players fit next season, then we need to start settling on a solid lineup that can build familiarity especially in defence.

I really hope Ancelotti doesnt focus on players for a short term push into top 6 and instead goes for the Godfrey u23 age group and builds something sustainable.

Whilst I agree with that, the difference is Baines Pienaar Jags and Lescott were a billion miles above what we have now. Lescott was so mobile and good on the ball he could play left back like Ben Godfrey but with end product. Baines holds the premier league assist record for a full back and all three were first choice for England in and around the 2014 World Cup.

There’s a reason they weren’t rotated, because they were very very good. There’s just no comparison between Keane and Holgate playing calamity capers at the back and what was probably the best pairing in the league behind Vidic and Ferdinand at the time.

You look at the Moyes lineups from 07-10 and go through who would get in this team.

Howard, Hibbert, Jags Lescott Yobo Baines Arteta Pienaar Cahill Fellaini Yakubu Osman all walk into this team. Out of the current squad I think only James definitely gets in a best Moyes 11. That group of players were finishing 5-7th. We’re now expecting a far inferior group to equal or surpass that. Levels.

I agree though that if we can get a quality injection over the summer, keep more players fit next season, then we need to start settling on a solid lineup that can build familiarity especially in defence.

I remember a few months back someone on here posted a stat that we had chopped and changed the back line in something like 8 consecutive games and most of the games weren't to do with injury/suspension it was either the flat back 4 then a flat back 3 with Digne, then a flat back 3 with Coleman, then 2 CB's with fullbacks then the same but the 2x CB's being different.

The Fulham game we had Mina and Keane on the bench who drops their 2 best CB's if they aint injured? Van Dijk and Dias etc dont randomly get benched unless they aint 100%.

Then the midfield - Tom Davies plays well against WHU - game after he's dropped! One week its Davies then Gomes then Siggurdsson just pick a team and if a players played well keep them in it!!

I can understand changing things when we are playing a Man City or Liverpool and need to go more defensive but why change formation when you go from say playing Fulham to Crystal Palace? It just baffles me and stops us from forming any kind of consistency.

Hibbert? :eek:

DCL is better than Yakubu. Digne is in the ballpark with Baines. The CBs can hang with Jags and Yobo. We aren't that devoid of talent.

How did we play in the games we won vs lost? All looked the same to me personally. Except the start of the season when we just switched all out attack mode on FIFA.

The away style is as boring as the home but we have had a bit more luck away from home. Its not as if we are scintilating away and terrible home.

As you say apart from the first few months of the season where we were good to watch.

The away style is as boring as the home but we have had a bit more luck away from home. Its not as if we are scintilating away and terrible home.

As you say apart from the first few months of the season where we were good to watch.
The performances are frankly the same level of crap at all times but sometimes Leno throws it into his net or we happen to score from a corner and they miss in stoppage time.

Imagine a manager who can count on Ballack, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldo, Terry etc saying he's one of the best in the world and they would follow him anywhere, to losing a dressing room that contains Bernard, Davies, Sigurdsson, Richarlison and Holgate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back