Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys Marco Silva had us in a very similar position to where we are this season. I'm confused why that keeps being ignored.

It wasn’t though was it, at no point that season was Europe ever on the cards. We didn’t ‘compete’ with any one that season. Spending the whole season in the top 6 then falling off it at the end of very different to lurking in the bottom half and winning a few dead rubbers with no pressure on them to finish 8th. That’s what Allardyce and Silva both did but it leads to nothing, you don’t progress from there. Ancelotti actually had a chance at something this season, those two never did. That makes it completely different in my book.

It wasn’t though was it, at no point that season was Europe ever on the cards. We didn’t ‘compete’ with any one that season. Spending the whole season in the top 6 then falling off it at the end of very different to lurking in the bottom half and winning a few dead rubbers with no pressure on them to finish 8th. That’s what Allardyce and Silva both did but it leads to nothing, you don’t progress from there. Ancelotti actually had a chance at something this season, those two never did. That makes it completely different in my book.
It would be if that was what happened, but Silva had us within a point of 7th until May.

Also I'm not really sure why finishing 8th because you had a bad first half and good second is so different from having a good first half and falling off.

Guys Marco Silva had us in a very similar position to where we are this season. I'm confused why that keeps being ignored.

Finishing position yes, but we never had realistic prospects of european qualification that year. This year we threw it away when we had a great chance. Both unsuccessful seasons in the end, but Silva was certainly not sacked for his first season either. He was sacked because we had just got thrashed at Anfield and were in the drop zone a fortnight before Christmas.

Improved Pickford back to the player he was

Godfrey is knocking on the door of international football.

Keane is probably playing his best ever football (even though I don’t rate him)

Davies in his best ever form (even though I don’t rate him either)

Calvert Lewin gone from a player some thought should be in the championship to an England international and one of the top open play scorers in the prem.

The set pieces in both boxes have gone from one of the worst in the league under Silva to one of the best.

Our ability to hold onto leads has improved massively

We’ve conceded less goals from last season

Our league position has improved from last season

We’ve performed better home and away against the top 6 than last season (or any season)

WHERE’S DER PROGRESSION THO?!!!

Nice that you have singled me out for having an opinion, I bet you don`t even know what my opinion is...... Time to get trawling through my posts.
Diss you?
Screenshot_20210520-153138_Chrome.webp

Finishing position yes, but we never had realistic prospects of european qualification that year. This year we threw it away when we had a great chance. Both unsuccessful seasons in the end, but Silva was certainly not sacked for his first season either. He was sacked because we had just got thrashed at Anfield and were in the drop zone a fortnight before Christmas.
We were 1 point behind Wolves in April! That's realistic!

Improved Pickford back to the player he was

Godfrey is knocking on the door of international football.

Keane is probably playing his best ever football (even though I don’t rate him)

Davies in his best ever form (even though I don’t rate him either)

Calvert Lewin gone from a player some thought should be in the championship to an England international and one of the top open play scorers in the prem.

The set pieces in both boxes have gone from one of the worst in the league under Silva to one of the best.

Our ability to hold onto leads has improved massively

We’ve conceded less goals from last season

Our league position has improved from last season

We’ve performed better home and away against the top 6 than last season (or any season)

WHERE’S DER PROGRESSION THO?!!!

You can use lots of stats to dress this up as an awful season as well as a great one. The actual fact is that we have been very mediocre.

I’ve no idea why anyone is trying to claim this season has been anything other than that tbh. The football has been a dirge for the most part. Some people like to be super fans I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back