Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Attitude has various components. It's not just running and effort. It's also courage to take the ball and courage to play the ball forward. We were doing it at nil nil then no one wanted to do it after we conceded. There is a lack of courage/commitment, call it what you like. It's all about attitude.

I want an enormous clear out. Anything less is an acceptance of poor performances and failure. At some point we stop tolerating this appalling squad and get players in who understand what is expected.

I agree there. But 18 months in we've not seen evidence that Carlo can get them to play with courage...

We do need a massive clear out, fully agree. Hopefully it is just that that's needed.

But I can't see 7-8 players coming in this year.

Any Everton manager being beaten at home by the likes of Sheffield United, Fulham, Newcastle and Brighton should be sacked.
Ordinarily this would be a fair comment but this season has just been an oddity all round for a number of reasons, many linked to COVID. I think I am correct in saying that there have been more away wins than home for the first time in history, although someone may know better. So losing at home may not be that bad this year, although I do admit Everton did make a habit of it which did cost us dearly in the end. If things get back to normal next season i will be interested to see how the team and Carlo perform and should in my opinion be given the chance, but with the caveat that the squad needs major surgery in the summer

I agree there. But 18 months in we've not seen evidence that Carlo can get them to play with courage...

We do need a massive clear out, fully agree. Hopefully it is just that that's needed.

There are about 12 players we can let go and replace with about 5 players. Most of them contribute zero to the club at the minute so we don't need direct replacements. Get the squad down in numbers and allow it to be filled out with young players. That's the only sustainable model going forward.

We need the players urgently and if Brands doesn't deliver he must be sacked.

Ordinarily this would be a fair comment but this season has just been an oddity all round for a number of reasons, many linked to COVID. I think I am correct in saying that there have been more away wins than home for the first time in history, although someone may know better. So losing at home may not be that bad this year, although I do admit Everton did make a habit of it which did cost us dearly in the end. If things get back to normal next season i will be interested to see how the team and Carlo perform and should in my opinion be given the chance, but with the caveat that the squad needs major surgery in the summer

It'd balance out though wouldn't it.

As in, there's no way we win 11 away games, playing the way we played in most of them (not very well tbh) if fans were there.

My worry with the home performances is, it's not just like it was what we went and did to teams. You know, sat deep, frustrated them, created one or two chances and usually took them.

No, in the home games, we got completely torn to shreds by Burnley, Villa, Sheff Utd and Fulham and, to an extent, Newcastle (though they were more sit deep and frustrate etc).

Now, even if fans were in the ground, had we played the way we did against Burnley, Villa, SU and Fulham, we'd still have got battered, cause we were all over the shop.

But you know in your heart of hearts he won't. We will get some over the hill players on their way down and some young unproven hopefuls who might show the odd spark of excellence but ultimately fizzle out. Any decent players will be sold for the cash or sit on the bench most games, to be brought on with 15m to go.
Totally agree, 100%

I can't be happy with a bloke who's guided us to 12th and 10th mate. Simple as that.

Now, I understand there's loads of caveats. And I don't want him gone. I just think there has to be serious questions asked and changes made internally. That includes the playing staff, but Carlo and his coaches have to take a hard look at themselves and realise they made numerous mistakes, and repeated them. I want Brands told in no uncertain terms that what he has built so far is not good enough. Tbh, I think a statement from Moshiri is what we should have, with clear targets set in place because I'm fed up of their being no accountability.

If we just blame the players, then by the same token we can't just credit Carlo only for the good things that happened this season.

I agree with you that he knows he has work on his hands and I'm sure he'll try his best for it to work. But 18 months in, it's grim. The footy is crap, the results are crap, the performances are crap, and the players aren't improving bar one or two in flashes. Richarlison has stagnated, Dom has improved, but for some reason we've stopped playing to his strengths. Davies improved, but then got left out and when he's played Carlo still has this mad idea that Allan is actually a holding midfielder despite showing nothing in that role that is going to suit the league.

He's failed at his first target, which was to get Europe this year. So unfortunately by that logic, he has been a failure. If our target was just to win at Anfield, Emirates, Spurs etc - fine, well done, we've got those monkeys off our backs, so let's see if we can build on that at least next season.

I have faith he will get us right. I’m not saying he’s immune from criticism, his substitutions at times and set ups have been questionable and I have been the first to jump on his back. I think overall he has done a decent job with what he has at his disposal.

He can set us up a particular way with the players he has available, who on paper, should be beating certain teams, but he can’t ultimately make them go out there and go the extra mile or at least put in the level of performance required to see off those teams. The games at home to Newcastle and Fulham in particular for me were nothing to do with tactics and set up, those defeats were down to sheer lack of bottle and fight, second best to every ball and not getting stuck in when required, including the Villa and Sheffield United games.

This was happening last season as mentioned earlier with some of the same players, the Norwich, Sheffield United, Saints, Villa & Bournemouth games being an example.

There’s a weak unsuccessful mentality mindset within the squad and it needs ripping out. Let the manager bring in who he wants and ship out the turgid crap of yesteryear that hang around like a bad stench and we will see drastic improvements, I’d put money on it.

We played with courage at the start of the season when we couldn’t stop scoring and all our better players were available and on form? It’s like people have just completely forgotten about that, like it didn’t happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back