Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's 59 points mate. It isn't a major turn for the better. A season and a half to get 10th.
We really do have to give him the grace of time due to the squad of gash he inherited.
The 4 players he has brought in are better than anything we had, but 3 of them all had long term spells out with injury.

4 more players in to improve the starting XI and then we need to see improvement.
It was a great chance to get into the European places but the quality and desire just wasn’t there from this collective of garbage.

Feels all rather Liverpool-esque this in how many wanted Klopp out of there after 18 months. Many people point to that team/squad that he took over now and genuinely wonder how it ever got close to winning the league a year before he got there, which ultimately ended up losing Suarez.

He needed more time - he got it.

I'm sure we can afford Ancelotti the same... but next season is huge for him now.
Eh? I assume you’re mixing him up with someone else (I can’t think who though). In his first 6 months they’d been in 2 cups finals, after 18 months they qualified for the CL, the following year a CL final, the year after CL win and 2nd, the year after a league title, then 3rd this season. He’s been untouchable there from day one.

Backwards? We're 10 points better off than last season and 1 win away from topping Koeman's first season when he had a better squad.

He's done better than our previous 2 managers and thats by getting blood from a stone with this team.

Can't just blood young players when we're turfing managers out after 1 full season. That's not a plan.
12th and 10th is hardly progress. I will say though it’s far too soon to write him off. Next season is obviously a big one for him. The bigger issue than the results have been the performances as too often the team gets outplayed, including by teams in the bottom half. I’m not a fan of Italian managers generally as they often play stifling, uninspired football.

I'm worried. I think anyone who isn't worried has their head in the sand. Hopefully there's a proper plan in place and we start to see the fruits of that this summer, but so far I've seen absolutely nothing from either Ancelotti or Brands that gives me any confidence whatsoever that we're going in the right direction. He has to be given time, of course, and maybe it will all magically click next season, but things have got to get much better very quickly. His past is buying him patience for now, if we start next season playing like we have for the last 18 months then the knives will well and truly be out. He needs to show that he's not yesterday's man and that he doesn't need a squad full of top class players in order to be able to play anything resembling coherent football. The signs are not promising.

1621848229239.webp

This is the team that lost 5-2 under Silva to the RS, Why is anyone surprised that these morons have bottled it again? They are absolute pure garbage.
No they aren't just gonna all disappear either but until Ancelotti has more of his players in then I'm sticking by him regardless.

God forbid if these absolute bellends get another manager sacked.

Eh? I assume you’re mixing him up with someone else (I can’t think who though). In his first 6 months they’d been in 2 cups finals, after 18 months they qualified for the CL, the following year a CL final, the year after CL win and 2nd, the year after a league title, then 3rd this season. He’s been untouchable there from day one.
Naa not having that at all. I distinctly remember sections of Liverpudlians questioning him at best and wanting him gone at worst at the end of his first full season - they genuinely thought they had a loser on their hands.

The point is though that they were starting from a much higher base either way. Rodgers had left him with a patchy squad after Suarez left but it was still smattered with quality that probably could've done better in those first 18 months. He got top 4, yes, but he didn't win a pot in his first 2 years. It eventually came together for him after that.

Mate I'll be the first to hold my hands up if we're still shabbite come the new year... but where would we possibly turn to after that in such a scenario?

Now is simply the best opportunity to finally give a manager a decent chunk of time to stamp his mark on a club. If not Carlo Ancelotti... then who??

I wouldn't necessarily look at names when it comes to managers/players and look at who's the right fit for the club.

A perfect example is Mourinho is one of the worlds most successful managers yet OGS who hasn't won a carrot is out performing him at Utd.

Martinez won an FA Cup with Wigan yet Moist out performed him at Everton over the respective tenures.

I've said for a while the only way we will imo be successful is going back to what we are good at - being tough to beat, workman like, grit, effort, energy, pace, stamina, fight, direct.

Tippy Tappy playing round the back soft core Everton will never work out for me regardless of who's the manager and what players we have and thats my worry with Carlo.

I think if you brought in a Biesla or even a Dyche/Moist type manager I wouldn't be shocked if they outperformed Carlo based on this season because they would play to our strengths/coach the squad to value these attributes whereas like Martinez/Koeman/Silva Carlo seems to have an idea on how he wants to play and when it doesnt work we become a mish mash of rubbish with no identity as the players look uncomfortable and clueless out on the pitch.

And again thats not saying Biesla or Moist is a better manager than Carlo its saying they for me would be a better fit

So could any player he'd have brought in rather than James...and perhaps more given the time off the pitch he's had.
He played 20 games and over 700 minutes and was the player who was forced to carry the team while refs gave him zero protection. James is far far away from being the problem.

Bolasie,Besic,Walcott all taking a big chunk every week while not playing, they finally gone
Tosun provides nothing while taking a big wage
Bernard-125k a week massive flop
Iwobi- seems to be completely clueless
Gomes-Can’t run, can’t tackle, never recovered from the injury
Sigi- can be great other times completely disappears
Davies- what is he?
Gabammin(spelling) who? 2 years injured
FD- seemed like a smart signing but total failure, always injured big wages

sure there more but that’s the tip of the iceberg

12th and 10th is hardly progress. I will say though it’s far too soon to write him off. Next season is obviously a big one for him. The bigger issue than the results have been the performances as too often the team gets outplayed, including by teams in the bottom half. I’m not a fan of Italian managers generally as they often play stifling, uninspired football.
Have you not got a year old parade and a trophy handover to attend a

View attachment 128196

This is the team that lost 5-2 under Silva to the RS, Why is anyone surprised that these morons have bottled it again? They are absolute pure garbage.
No they aren't just gonna all disappear either but until Ancelotti has more of his players in then I'm sticking by him regardless.

True. But we've had 3 windows to change it and the recruitment has again been below par.

Doucoure (28) - been ok 6/10
Allan (30) - scarily only played one more league game than James, been alright too 6/10
James (29) - great in flashes, not enough of them and poor attitude 6.5/10
Godfrey (23) - showing potential but got a long way to go 7/10
King (29) - just why???? 1/10

We brought in short-term fixes and even they didn't work. I'm not convinced Carlo and Marcel will bring the right players in again this summer, the evidence so far suggests that's a credible concern.,

View attachment 128196

100% this. Look at the Anfield fixture this season when we at least had Godfrey Docuoure and James to add to that. One moment of quality from James made by Docuoure competing in midfield won us the game.

Siggurdson and Davies as a 2 against some of the midfield threes in the premier league now is an absolute joke but sadly those two have been ever presents this season along with calamity Keane at the back.

I wouldn't necessarily look at names when it comes to managers/players and look at who's the right fit for the club.

A perfect example is Mourinho is one of the worlds most successful managers yet OGS who hasn't won a carrot is out performing him at Utd.

Martinez won an FA Cup with Wigan yet Moist out performed him at Everton over the respective tenures.

I've said for a while the only way we will imo be successful is going back to what we are good at - being tough to beat, workman like, grit effort, pace and stamina, direct.

Tippy Tappy round the back soft Everton will never work out for me regardless of who's the manager and what players we have and thats my worry with Carlo.

I think if you brought in a Biesla or even a Dyche/Moist type manager I wouldn't be shocked if they outperformed Carlo based on this season because they would play to our strengths/coach the squad to value these attributes whereas like Martinez/Koeman/Silva Carlo seems to have an idea on how he wants to play and when it doesnt work we become a mish mash of rubbish with no identity as the players look uncomfortable and clueless out on the pitch.

And again thats not saying Biesla or Moist is a better manager than Carlo its saying they for me would be a better fit
'The right fit' is something that we've talked about for years... but when you remember back to Ancelotti's appointment weren't there loads of blues absolutely dying for a more pragmatic manager after Martinez, Koeman & Silva?? myself included. We now have that.

We saw glimpses of a proper football team at the top of the season when we had fresh faces that were fit and raring to go. We need to re-find that in the summer and I'm putting my faith in Ancelotti (and Brands) to deliver at least something to show us more tangible improvement next season. The stall has been set.

Ancelotti himself isn't a mug - he's been in the game at the top level long enough to know what this club needs, so it's time for the club to deliver. This is our opportunity.

True. But we've had 3 windows to change it and the recruitment has again been below par.

Doucoure (28) - been ok 6/10
Allan (30) - scarily only played one more league game than James, been alright too 6/10
James (29) - great in flashes, not enough of them and poor attitude 6.5/10
Godfrey (23) - showing potential but got a long way to go 7/10
King (29) - just why???? 1/10

We brought in short-term fixes and even they didn't work. I'm not convinced Carlo and Marcel will bring the right players in again this summer, the evidence so far suggests that's a credible concern.,

None of the players brought in were short term fixes except King. Godfrey and Docuoure will be here long term. James and Allan aren’t 34, we’ll get at least another two or three seasons of their best out of them.

If you put our best 11 on paper then all of Godfrey Allan Docuoure James walk into it so I’m not sure why there’s much criticism over these signings, every one of them is an improvement over what we have. Injuries are annoying yes but let’s hope next season with a proper pre season we don’t see as many.

View attachment 128196

Still have nightmares over Sidibé's positional sense paired with Silva's high line, those days were absolutely mad

Attitude of the players he is working with , for one of a better word, is absolutely pathetic.

Everton were SECOND on Boxing Day, we've just ended the Season 10th. Despite the home losses in early 2021, European Football was in our own hands - I'm adamant that this group of utter bottlers threw the towel in the last few months because they genuinely couldn't be bothered to play twice a week. Happy to pick up their £70k+ wages for one game a week. It absolutely stinks.

None of the players brought in were short term fixes except King. Godfrey and Docuoure will be here long term. James and Allan aren’t 34, we’ll get at least another two or three seasons of their best out of them.

If you put our best 11 on paper then all of Godfrey Allan Docuoure James walk into it so I’m not sure why there’s much criticism over these signings, every one of them is an improvement over what we have. Injuries are annoying yes but let’s hope next season with a proper pre season we don’t see as many.

James was brought in on a 2 year deal and Allan will be 32 by the time his 3 year deal expires. They were a short-term improvement from the club to get us into Europe.

All four get into our best 11 easily, but I don't necessarily think that's a barometer for them being great players. I don't think any of the four of them (except maybe a fully fit James) go into the starting lineup of one of the teams that finished top 6. Which is the big problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back