Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully this weird pandemic affected will never be repeated and crowds will return. Most of us have not paid to watch Everton at all this season and I am sure I am not alone using the off switch frequently or not watching at all. The ticket refunds are safely in the bank ready for next season's renewals. If our performances (not the results) are of a similar standard next season in front of paying customers, Carlo is unlikely escape as he has done with a brief post match press conferences and a few shrugs of the shoulder. He will need an armoured suit.

James was brought in on a 2 year deal and Allan will be 32 by the time his 3 year deal expires. They were a short-term improvement from the club to get us into Europe.

All four get into our best 11 easily, but I don't necessarily think that's a barometer for them being great players. I don't think any of the four of them (except maybe a fully fit James) go into the starting lineup of one of the teams that finished top 6. Which is the big problem.

A 3 year deal isn’t short term thinking, lots of players move on from clubs after a few seasons. Allan could well get another deal when this one expires at 32.

We can only improve so much. It is very difficult for a team with no europe, in the bottom half, and a massive ffp constraint, to buy players that would walk into the starting lineups of top 6 teams. We have to look at gradual improvement. Keep those four fit, add another 4 or 5 to them in this window, boot out the worst 4 or 5 performers in the squad. Do the same the next window. That’s the only way we get better.

His relationship with Brands will come under scrutiny this summer I think.

New contract or not, if things don't go to plan in the summer, I could see an increasingly exasperated Ancelotti making noises in Brands' direction.

That would be if he is serious about our progression.

Let's hope it doesn't come to that, but that's amongst my concerns.

We've gone backwards under him. I've had a season and a half experience of watching his teams to recognise that. That time he's had here has been wasted. Why do you think adding more time to his tenure changes anything? The methods he deploys are by and large redundant in this league.

We need to be blooding younger players and have needed to for a while now, but Ancelotti wont countenance it. He keeps Iwobi in the first team squad and punts someone like Gordon out on loan. His mistakes are piling up.

Let's just cut our losses and end this. If we dont, we'll lose another 18 months to arive at the conclusion we can draw now.

dave he’s signed 4 players so it’s not his team yet is it?

chopping and changing when he haven’t even let Carlo build yet it’s beyond idiotic

We overperformed every underlying stat this season. Probably a bit of that is down to how we would go 1-0 up and shut up shop but all the stats suggested we weren't unlucky to finish 10th or lower. Hopefully it is some of that pragmatism people praise Ancelotti for and not a sign of things to come because its not sustainable and a repeat next year will probably see him out of the job

Last season that total got you 6th/7th.

It's where you finish that matters. 10th is not good enough. The increased points total gives reason for optimism, but the season was a total failure and needs to be rectified next year.

Just like the 72 point season didn't ultimately mean much. We didn't do enough to come 4th so the total didn't actually matter in the end. You finish where you deserve to finish by and large. We were not good enough this year.

10th place in a league of 20 is the very definition of mediocre no matter how much people try and paint it up to be a good progressive season. The league position doesn't lie. It was a bang average season with some goods and a lot of really bads.

Next season has to be much better and i am certain Carlo knows that himself. Big summer coming up again. Deja Vu this time every year.

It's 59 points mate. It isn't a major turn for the better. A season and a half to get 10th.

Last season that total got you 6th/7th.
Eh? I assume you’re mixing him up with someone else (I can’t think who though). In his first 6 months they’d been in 2 cups finals, after 18 months they qualified for the CL, the following year a CL final, the year after CL win and 2nd, the year after a league title, then 3rd this season. He’s been untouchable there from day one.

12th and 10th is hardly progress. I will say though it’s far too soon to write him off. Next season is obviously a big one for him. The bigger issue than the results have been the performances as too often the team gets outplayed, including by teams in the bottom half. I’m not a fan of Italian managers generally as they often play stifling, uninspired football.

Points is where I concentrate on. 59 points on average is 7th to 8th place finish most seasons.

59-66 points is a 5th-8th spot finish.

66-70 points is an average top 4 finish.

We were 1 win away from 62 points. Last season that got 5th.

It's consistency of points totals. We solidify consistent 60 point a season, depending how the league pans out, we're in that top 6.

Our points total since Moyes left...
72 - Martinez
47 - Martinez
47 - Martinez
61 - Koeman
49 - Koeman/Big Sam
54 - Silva
49 - Silva/Carlo
59 - Carlo

It's a downward curve with 1 season of possibility.

Stick with Carlo. Stay consistent. See where it goes

It's where you finish that matters. 10th is not good enough. The increased points total gives reason for optimism, but the season was a total failure and needs to be rectified next year.

Just like the 72 point season didn't ultimately mean much. We didn't do enough to come 4th so the total didn't actually matter in the end. You finish where you deserve to finish by and large. We were not good enough this year.
Totally agree. We weren’t good enough, and these players haven’t been good enough under a succession of managers. Sacking Carlo isn’t going to change that. Recruitment needs to improve drastically.

'The right fit' is something that we've talked about for years... but when you remember back to Ancelotti's appointment weren't there loads of blues absolutely dying for a more pragmatic manager after Martinez, Koeman & Silva?? myself included. We now have that.

We saw glimpses of a proper football team at the top of the season when we had fresh faces that were fit and raring to go. We need to re-find that in the summer and I'm putting my faith in Ancelotti (and Brands) to deliver at least something to show us more tangible improvement next season. The stall has been set.

Ancelotti himself isn't a mug - he's been in the game at the top level long enough to know what this club needs, so it's time for the club to deliver. This is our opportunity.

The problem is Brands has spent £270 million to build a squad most on here are saying is not good enough and is letting the manager down.

So for me its either the DOF isn't good enough or the manager isn't the right fit for this club/group of players.

I cant have faith in both as one has to compliment the other and if we are failing someone isn't doing their job.

10th place in a league of 20 is the very definition of mediocre no matter how much people try and paint it up to be a good progressive season. The league position doesn't lie. It was a bang average season with some goods and a lot of really bads.

Next season has to be much better and i am certain Carlo knows that himself. Big summer coming up again. Deja Vu this time every year.
Groundhog Day

It sets a bar. The next season you aim for better. We got 72 points, the aim was to get near or better that.... the following season we got 47 points. Failure.

Consistency is key. The league sorts itself out IMO.

If we don't at least match 59 points next season, it's failure.

And we finished 10th on goal difference. What does that say? We don't score enough.

Numbers matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back