Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've gone backwards under him. I've had a season and a half experience of watching his teams to recognise that. That time he's had here has been wasted. Why do you think adding more time to his tenure changes anything? The methods he deploys are by and large redundant in this league.

We need to be blooding younger players and have needed to for a while now, but Ancelotti wont countenance it. He keeps Iwobi in the first team squad and punts someone like Gordon out on loan. His mistakes are piling up.

Let's just cut our losses and end this. If we dont, we'll lose another 18 months to arive at the conclusion we can draw now.

Backwards? We're 10 points better off than last season and 1 win away from topping Koeman's first season when he had a better squad.

He's done better than our previous 2 managers and thats by getting blood from a stone with this team.

Can't just blood young players when we're turfing managers out after 1 full season. That's not a plan.

This would be my biggest concern, has he got the stomach for all that.

If his answer is not a resounding yes, then we are doomed to more of the same or worse.

It's not a direct correlation to Ancelotti, but I did think pre his appointment that we needed another tracksuit manager with age on his side, and the mental and physical appetite for the rigours required. We need someone with 1980s Alex Ferguson zeal.

Side by side with that, the autonomy and additional time for managing transfers in and out.

That's not to say Ancelotti isn't up to those demands but its reasonable to speculate.

It's also reasonable to suggest that he probably finds the job much tougher than he envisioned.

You would hope considering he's on around £12m a year and would cost us a massive wedge to get rid off.

We had a midfield of Davies, Gomes, Siggy, Delph going into this season. He brought in 2 experienced players with better quality.

They're not the issue as they're an improvement and we're attainable, who we're ready to fit into the first team. You're pointing to 2 of our better performers this season while forgetting that 90% of the squad he didn't buy, are complete flops under multiple managers.

The man's not soft. He's not going to clog up the team with aging players who won't add anything.

He looks frustrated and angry in my book. Sent shots out to his players multiple times.

It's the toughest job he's ever had IMO. To expect another manager will come in and not find the same problems that they're unable to fix without a clear out, is madness.

If he went...we'd be in a lot worse position IMO as we'd get another manager willing to give most of these players "another chance"
He had to play that midfield because he bought players who weren't getting on the pitch enough.

You see someone angry and determined to get his message across; I see a man who tried that and couldn't cut through with that message to his players. His time at Napoli underlined the basic lack of respect he was getting there, and I think it's manaifesting itself now at Everton - and I have no sympathy for those players, btw.

“Too inconsistent and often close to unwatchable” from McNulty in his end of season review on BBC.
My thoughts entirely.
Like being made to sit through your own tooth extraction watching Everton in 2021, the viewing pleasure was non existent, apart from the joy of the long awaited win at Greyskull.

He had to play that midfield because he bought players who weren't getting on the pitch enough.

You see someone angry and determined to get his message across; I see a man who tried that and couldn't cut through with that message to his players. His time at Napoli underlined the basic lack of respect he was getting there, and I think it's manaifesting itself now at Everton - and I have no sympathy for those players, btw.
Exactly the same midfield which wasn’t good enough 12 months earlier too, when we were getting whalloped at home by the likes of Bournemouth.

Feels all rather Liverpool-esque this in how many wanted Klopp out of there after 18 months. Many people point to that team/squad that he took over now and genuinely wonder how it ever got close to winning the league a year before he got there, which ultimately ended up losing Suarez.

He needed more time - he got it.

I'm sure we can afford Ancelotti the same... but next season is huge for him now.

Feels all rather Liverpool-esque this in how many wanted Klopp out of there after 18 months. Many people people point that that team/squad that he took over now and genuinely wonder how it ever got close to winning the league a year before he got there.

I'm sure we can afford Ancelotti the same... but next season is huge for him now.
Well Klopp took them to two finals in his first half season at the club and had them playing in the style he wanted, he just needed better players to make it click

we can give Carlo more time and show we should, absolutely, but we haven’t exactly got much of a template to build on when it comes to a style of play. That’s the difference. It was clear what Klopp was trying, whereas I can’t actually see what CA is wanting us to be

Feels all rather Liverpool-esque this in how many wanted Klopp out of there after 18 months. Many people point to that team/squad that he took over now and genuinely wonder how it ever got close to winning the league a year before he got there.

Klopp had them in the top 4 in his 2nd season and a recognised way of playing - hardly comparable mate.

Klopp had them in the top 4 in his 2nd season and a recognised way of playing - hardly comparable mate.
The point is though that they were starting from a much higher base either way. Rodgers had left him with a patchy squad after Suarez left but it was still smattered with quality that probably could've done better in those first 18 months. He got top 4, yes, but he didn't win a pot in his first 2 years. It eventually came together for him after that.

Mate I'll be the first to hold my hands up if we're still shabbite come the new year... but where would we possibly turn to after that in such a scenario?

Now is simply the best opportunity to finally give a manager a decent chunk of time to stamp his mark on a club. If not Carlo Ancelotti... then who??

Backwards? We're 10 points better off than last season and 1 win away from topping Koeman's first season when he had a better squad.

He's done better than our previous 2 managers and thats by getting blood from a stone with this team.

Can't just blood young players when we're turfing managers out after 1 full season. That's not a plan.
It's 59 points mate. It isn't a major turn for the better. A season and a half to get 10th.

He has a funny way of showing it. The two players I'd defo attribute to Ancelotti last summer: James and Allan, are not the future of any club.

In retrospect, I think we can all see they were expensive mistakes: late in their careers, injury prone, unmotivated, slow.

If Carlo has players like that in mind again this summer we are snookered.

Honestly, can you see Ancelotti blending youth and purchases of players who have good potential? Because that's what's needed here. And that job is beyond Ancelotti. He's a manager who's tweaked class outfits and gives a great club 5%-10% added value. That's not required here. Obviously.

I have no axe to grind with him whatsoever, but if he walked today I'd be relieved.
Without James we been in a relagation strap his assist and goal won us loads of points

Well Klopp took them to two finals in his first half season at the club and had them playing in the style he wanted, he just needed better players to make it click

we can give Carlo more time and show we should, absolutely, but we haven’t exactly got much of a template to build on when it comes to a style of play. That’s the difference. It was clear what Klopp was trying, whereas I can’t actually see what CA is wanting us to be
Klopp had Gerrard who carried that RS team while scoring 15+ a season we have no midfielder that can do that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back