Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure about the difference in quality but the major significant difference between Moyes squad and Carlo's squad was that Moyes squad all put 100% effort and desire into every match for the entire duration whereas at least half of our players couldn't be bothered for the 2nd half of the season so much so that most of the time they struggled to even pass the ball to a team mate, let alone try and move the ball forwards quickly and those same players have been doing that long before Carlo took the helm.

We would have comfortably got 4th this season had all of our players put 100% effort and desire in and you could see Carlo's frustration with them in pretty much every single match since Christmas. He has got them well and truly pegged now imo.
Exactly. That’s what makes it so annoying!

I don't think it is a waste of time. It shows that we're actually not far off the teams above us and miles ahead of the ones below. It proves that we improved our side notably last summer and that our manager did a fair job and more importantly closed the gap on the sides above us.

I don't think 10th position tells you the whole story. Leicester finished 9th the season before they finished 5th in consecutive seasons, winning a trophy.
Against the bottom 5 teams, Everton took 17 points; those teams took 11. Doesn't seem like miles ahead to me.

They literally have no strikers! And Craig Dawson was one of their main centre halves!

Their squad is also extremely thin. When Rice was out, or Antonio, they were struggling big time.

We have 1 striker.
We've had games this season when we had two rookie keepers to fill out the bench.
You're going on like we have a far better squad.
We havent

Hoping Carlo gets the right playe3rs with the right mentality above all else this summer.

I doubt very much a manger of Ancelotti's calibre who is used to working with ultra professional players, is happy at all with what he has witnessed this second half season, or even 3/4 of the season. Problem is he can't swap the lot out.

What will it take to get the rest of them motivated enough to give their all every game?

For me apart from a desperately needed right back the gaping hole for me is we need midfielders who can actually score goals, our return from this area of the field has been woeful. Lets just say our midfield had scored maybe an extra 15 goals all season that could easily have got us into Europe and on the verge of the top four. I'm not saying who we can get that can do that for us but for me it has to be a priority for any midfielder we bring in.

In many ways the 59 points doesn’t even really tell the full story

It makes it look like we had a good season when the reality is we struggled in about 35 out of the 38 games and we won 12 games by a 1 goal margin and defending for our lives in every single one of those wins.

We could have quite easily had about 40-45 points. There were not many games where you came away saying we should have won that one cos we battered them.
We could of easily got 60-70 points playing that way as well

For me apart from a desperately needed right back the gaping hole for me is we need midfielders who can actually score goals, our return from this area of the field has been woeful. Lets just say our midfield had scored maybe an extra 15 goals all season that could easily have got us into Europe and on the verge of the top four. I'm not saying who we can get that can do that for us but for me it has to be a priority for any midfielder we bring in.
Wasn't Docoure a goal scoring midfielder?

In many ways the 59 points doesn’t even really tell the full story

It makes it look like we had a good season when the reality is we struggled in about 35 out of the 38 games and we won 12 games by a 1 goal margin and defending for our lives in every single one of those wins.

We could have quite easily had about 40-45 points. There were not many games where you came away saying we should have won that one cos we battered them.

Two ways of looking at that. We've either polished a turd and just dragged out results.
Or
The quality has under performed.
Id like to say its a bit of both but tbh im struggling with the quality one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back