Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.

18 months. No one has any clue what we're aiming for. But it's fine.

We're the dog in the burning house meme.
Yeah, he's sitting there doing nothing while the club is burning down. Not even in the slightest bit dramatic.

We finished 10th. We improved on his 1st year. We did so with the majority of the garbage squad he inherited and is stuck with for the time being. It could've been better. We ran out of steam. Injuries caught up with us and early season goals dried up.

As a matter of interest, what could he have done differently? Or more to the point, what would you have done differently? Signed more players, better players, for the comparatively small amount of £60m he's spent since he's been here, such is the way the finances in football are going? I suppose you would've bought 6 relatively unknown stars with a point to prove, for less money, who would definitely have hit the ground running, fit right in and not been injured once. You would also have sold half the players that neither we, nor any other team seems to want, for more money than they are worth, and they all definitely would have left, even if they were offered less money by inferior clubs. Maybe you would've thrown more young, unproven players in to show all the professionals how it's done, and just pay them all millions of pounds per week to not make the squad. Or maybe you would've tried to get a limited squad to play expansive football, leaving huge gaps at the back, and rather than losing a few baffling games by the odd goal to a few fired up opponents who sensed a lack energy and confidence, we'd have gone gung ho in every game and conceded 3 or 4 as our midfield got totally overrun and left our fragile defence exposed. And at the end of the season, we would've even been flying high, or relegated. But hey, we gave it a go right?

Plans take time. Just because you don't know what it is, doesnt mean there isn't one.

Yeah, he's sitting there doing nothing while the club is burning down. Not even in the slightest bit dramatic.

We finished 10th. We improved on his 1st year. We did so with the majority of the garbage squad he inherited and is stuck with for the time being. It could've been better. We ran out of steam. Injuries caught up with us and early season goals dried up.

As a matter of interest, what could he have done differently? Or more to the point, what would you have done differently? Signed more players, better players, for the comparatively small amount of £60m he's spent since he's been here, such is the way the finances in football are going? I suppose you would've bought 6 relatively unknown stars with a point to prove, for less money, who would definitely have hit the ground running, fit right in and not been injured once. You would also have sold half the players that neither we, nor any other team seems to want, for more money than they are worth, and they all definitely would have left, even if they were offered less money by inferior clubs. Maybe you would've thrown more young, unproven players in to show all the professionals how it's done, and just pay them all millions of pounds per week to not make the squad. Or maybe you would've tried to get a limited squad to play expansive football, leaving huge gaps at the back, and rather than losing a few baffling games by the odd goal to a few fired up opponents who sensed a lack energy and confidence, we'd have gone gung ho in every game and conceded 3 or 4 as our midfield got totally overrun and left our fragile defence exposed. And at the end of the season, we would've even been flying high, or relegated. But hey, we gave it a go right?

Plans take time. Just because you don't know what it is, doesnt mean there isn't one.
Here we go again confusing playing better with playing like Leeds or something

Do not fail Carlo. You hear me Ev? On your last legs.

I'll walk with Carlo. I mean it.

Here we go again confusing playing better with playing like Leeds or something

It's a fair question that you're dodging by invoking Bielsa.

It's easy to use the benefit of hindsight to claim we should have bought X players. Any claim that we should have used Y tactics can never be tested. It's easy to say that the manager should have found Z that works right away with no learning curve, or that if he switches to something that doesn't work as well as Z that he never should have switched.

I haven't even seen you go that far. I don't know what you want from Carlo in concrete terms of "buy players with this profile, play with this system or set of systems." I don't know how you think he could have managed the spell with no attackers, then the one with no midfielders, better than he did.

Relentless negativity is fine if you can clearly articulate what you would do differently. You're not doing that, which is why you're getting pushback rather than a discussion.

It's a fair question that you're dodging by invoking Bielsa.

It's easy to use the benefit of hindsight to claim we should have bought X players. Any claim that we should have used Y tactics can never be tested. It's easy to say that the manager should have found Z that works right away with no learning curve, or that if he switches to something that doesn't work as well as Z that he never should have switched.

I haven't even seen you go that far. I don't know what you want from Carlo in concrete terms of "buy players with this profile, play with this system or set of systems." I don't know how you think he could have managed the spell with no attackers, then the one with no midfielders, better than he did.

Relentless negativity is fine if you can clearly articulate what you would do differently. You're not doing that, which is why you're getting pushback rather than a discussion.
He wants us to have a system.

He considers the fact that CA has spent all season trying different things as a negative, I suspect he would rather we had a manager who did the same thing every week, which is kinda weird. Using CAs flexibility as a stick to beat him with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back