2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your scenario is hypothetical because it never happened.

Finishing above a team for two years on the run is not luck because a manager doesn’t know how to use a player. It’s because the other team is better.

What part of this are you not getting? Luck doesnt come into it. They had a poor manager who wasnt getting the best from a better team and squad. Thats why he got sacked. Same players under rodgers proved they had a better set up. It just needed to be managed better.
This will go on and on. We are not going to agree.
Guardiola took over a squad that had challenged for the title and still took a season and a whole load of investment to get to the level he wanted. SAF took a few seasons at United. Howard Kendall took a period of time to get it right at Everton.

We have one of the best managers in the world at the helm and he’s had one transfer window and is now getting criticised by some fans who will still defend Roberto Martinez. Absolutely unbelievable. That clown at least had three seasons. Hope to god someone at Everton has the sense to give Carlo at least that time to sort out a basket case of a club that has been a disaster since Moyes left (another manager who took a few seasons to get it right)

This.
I said right at the start when ancelotti took over i would judge where we are after he's had at least 3 windows to bring in at least 6 or 7 players. Thats how much i think we needed to start changing. Because we really were THAT bad before he came.

We really are a bi-polar lot.

The state of this thread from the first 4 weeks where he was a messiah to the shouts of he isn't up to it, the wrong manager for the time is extraordinary.

Yes we have lost our way, yes he has made a couple of mistakes, but the reactionary comments are amazing.

Tell me another manager in the world that you would have faith in to dig us out of this mess that would actually want to come to mediocre Everton.

Guardiola took over a squad that had challenged for the title and still took a season and a whole load of investment to get to the level he wanted. SAF took a few seasons at United. Howard Kendall took a period of time to get it right at Everton.

We have one of the best managers in the world at the helm and he’s had one transfer window and is now getting criticised by some fans who will still defend Roberto Martinez. Absolutely unbelievable. That clown at least had three seasons. Hope to god someone at Everton has the sense to give Carlo at least that time to sort out a basket case of a club that has been a disaster since Moyes left (another manager who took a few seasons to get it right)
We have to stick with him it's the last chance saloon for the club to get it right.
I just wish he was 10 years younger so we could see him as a long term manager.

I‘ve already posted too much in this thread this weekend because I absolutely don’t mean that Ancelotti should be under pressure or whatever, but...

Guardiola is very much a ‘philosophy’ manager, as is klopp to a certain extent. You can understand things taking a while to come right for them, as they’re trying to implement a very different style and may find that certain players can’t do it at all, while others take a while to perfect It etc. I think if we were doing that I’d feel a bit better about things, but we’re not really, you’d be hard pressed to say what our style of play is really, other than ‘give the ball to James’. I think with Ancelotti we’re hoping that his man management and tactical acumen is what will make a difference rather than him implementing a philosophy, so it’s a little bit disappointing that it has only had a limited impact so far.

What part of this are you not getting? Luck doesnt come into it. They had a poor manager who wasnt getting the best from a better team and squad. Thats why he got sacked. Same players under rodgers proved they had a better set up. It just needed to be managed better.
This will go on and on. We are not going to agree.

This.
I said right at the start when ancelotti took over i would judge where we are after he's had at least 3 windows to bring in at least 6 or 7 players. Thats how much i think we needed to start changing. Because we really were THAT bad before he came.

Absolutely the baseline level was awful but because these players would sometimes win a few games at the end of the season when the pressure was off to get themselves into the top half it fooled people into thinking the squad was ok. It wasn’t, I actually think Allardyce and Silva both over performed with what they had available for a while, Ancelotti probably did as well at times last season. At the end of 17/18 I thought we had one of the worst squads in the league, we’ve improved since then but a large core of these players are not top half players. The fact they can turn up one week but not for three after shows exactly this. They’re inconsistent, have a poor mentality, don’t care about losing, and aren’t up for the fight. There was probably only Richarlison and Digne you could hang your hat on as being consistent every week. Two players doesn’t make a squad though regardless of who is in charge. Ancelotti has already got improvement from DCL and Holgate last season and brought in James and Allan who look like they at least care about winning. There’s still so much work to do though in every position to shift out players who have messed around for years and replace them with winners whilst the club is financially crippled by previous recruitment errors, coronavirus, and building a new stadium.

Ancelotti and Brands have in my opinion the hardest job in the premier league. They picked up one of the poorest squads, they’re restricted by FFP because of the ridiculous wages we paid on dross meaning it’s difficult to sell anyone, we have a history of injury crises, we have no european football to attract players and don’t have the location of London Milan Barcelona. Despite all this though they have to please a fan base that expects us to be challenging top 4 when just last season we finished 12th.

Despite not being perfect, I think both have made a far better job of it than most are giving them credit for. The position in 17/18 was honestly a doomsday scenario. Schneiderlin Sigurdsson Rooney Williams Bolasie Tosun Walcott Sandro all on close to 100k a week on long deals, hardly any of them good enough for a top half team. To add to that there was still numerous players such as Pennington Garbutt Tarashaj etc. taking wages and squad places. It was an abomination. To even be where we are now with Richarlison Digne and James Rodriguez playing for us hoping to qualify for Europe is in my view a mini miracle.

If we had made this start with the losses spread out a bit more rather than coming consecutively I think we’d all say we’re doing okay. The players need to knuckle down and work on defending over the international break and hopefully we’ll turn it around quickly.

The squad is unbalanced and some of our options from the bench are not PL quality imo. In particular Sigurdsson and JJK don’t seem to be of the required level. Gomes rapidly falling into that bracket too.

We really are a bi-polar lot.

The state of this thread from the first 4 weeks where he was a messiah to the shouts of he isn't up to it, the wrong manager for the time is extraordinary.

Yes we have lost our way, yes he has made a couple of mistakes, but the reactionary comments are amazing.

Tell me another manager in the world that you would have faith in to dig us out of this mess that would actually want to come to mediocre Everton.

Exactly, let's see how we get on with Richarlison back and a fit James. If we are still pap after that then I might worry, now is not the time for faint hearts.

I think the question has to be the following:

1. Can Ancelotti motivate these players

or

2. Are a key group in this squad simply unable to be motivated?

The Bad eggs for me:

Siggurdsson
Delph
Gomes
Iwobi

Throw in the average players like Bernard, Mina, Kenny who try but are just not good enough.

The facts speak for themselves. Rodgers came into a bigger mess than what Carlo did based on full season results.

I’m sure Silva would have said he could’ve turned it around last season if given the time.

Well what fact is this? Were Leicester 18th under the previous manager (or 15th or wherever we were) when Rodgers arrived?

I mean your entitled to your opinion but the facts would indicate otherwise.

One thing I do not understand. In the last 5 seasons, Everton have had placements between 7 - 12, and our median position has been 9. We are a fairly average PL team, not among the best, but not the worst either. We may be the worst at investing in players, but compared to many other PL teams, we have great resources. So no matter who takes over the club, the expected position should be around 9th place.

The club decides to hire Ancelotti. By many, Ancelotti is considered one of the best coaches of all time. So only on the basis of the coach should one expect Everton to perform better than expected, if the coach is world class, and not just world class, but the best of all time. But the club is really serious and will support the coach in the transfer market. We have big ambitions. The club brings in players like JR and Allan. Two players who come with huge salary costs, and at the same time where the curve has been declining in recent seasons. In addition, we bring in players such as AD, Godfrey and Olsen. AD is a player in his prime, and a proven PL player.

With these signings + the world's best coach, one should be able to expect a top 8 position. I would even say that we should be in the top 6 competition. If not, then it's hard to understand the signings of JR and Allan. If the goal is top 8 -10, then there are far cheaper players in the market who can give us the same results. Ok, we need to be patient, and build for the future. But if we are going to build for the future, why blow up the salary budget for players like JR and Allan? Why do we not identify younger and cheaper players?

If we had made this start with the losses spread out a bit more rather than coming consecutively I think we’d all say we’re doing okay. The players need to knuckle down and work on defending over the international break and hopefully we’ll turn it around quickly.

The squad is unbalanced and some of our options from the bench are not PL quality imo. In particular Sigurdsson and JJK don’t seem to be of the required level. Gomes rapidly falling into that bracket too.

I agree. If we won two. Lost two and so on the reaction would be just oh we are a bit inconsistent.
The pattern of the results has now gone from being champions to being relegated for some.

People rightly look at sides where managers come in and get a tune out of players who were previously garbage... Leicester, Southampton, Villa etc

That doesn't help Carlo because in all honesty I don't think he can be arsed trying to polish a turd. Whether we like it or not he's a manager who signs top players and top players want to play for him.

For me I'll accept that but the transition in recruitment needs to happen quickly. We simply can not carry on with the likes of Gomes, Gylfi, Delph et al. .. turning up to Finch farm in their £200k cars and Luis Vuitton wash bags after a weekend loss looking exactly the same as they do when we win.

Sick and tired of watching weak spirited players getting game time

Gylfi and Gomes need ejecting from the club asap. Coleman needs replacing.... A second striker, backup for Richarlison.

People rightly look at sides where managers come in and get a tune out of players who were previously garbage... Leicester, Southampton, Villa etc

That doesn't help Carlo because in all honesty I don't think he can be arsed trying to polish a turd. Whether we like it or not he's a manager who signs top players and top players want to play for him.

For me I'll accept that but the transition in recruitment needs to happen quickly. We simply can not carry on with the likes of Gomes, Gylfi, Delph et al. .. turning up to Finch farm in their £200k cars and Luis Vuitton wash bags after a weekend loss looking exactly the same as they do when we win.

Sick and tired of watching weak spirited players getting game time

Gylfi and Gomes need ejecting from the club asap. Coleman needs replacing.... A second striker, backup for Richarlison.

Dont know about villa.
But i always thought southampton had some good players and were decent enough. Certainly something to work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back