Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me people cant have their cake and eat it - you can't say Ancelotti needs time & is doing the best he can with these players yet also champion the bloke who's been in charge of the last 5 transfer windows.

If we dont qualify for europe then either the manager or DOF needs to go.

For me I would boot Brands now if I could - lets look at his signings:

Digne: £18 million
Doucoure: £22 million
Mina: £27 million
Gomes: £22 million
Godfrey: £25 million
Gbamin: £25 million
Iwobi: £27 million
Kean: £27 million
Bernard: Free
Lossl: Free

An absolute ton of money wasted there.
I didnt include Richarlison as he was a Silva signing as James/Allan were Carlo ones.
Only 2 decent and 1 potential player...Digne, Doucoure, Godfrey...and Bernard who is on mega wages, but I like him as a player.

i've said loads of times, people massively overstate how bad things were when he took over. The team he took over had not finished lower than 8th in the previous 3 seasons,

And you say I'm being simplistic. The two seasons prior to him joining, we finished on 49 points and 54 points.

On the 5th of December last year, we'd just been beaten 5-2 by Liverpool, and were sat in 18th place with 14 points.

So don't try and make out like we've been primed and ready to launch an assault on the European places, because it's just not true.

And you say I'm being simplistic. The two seasons prior to him joining, we finished on 49 points, and 54 points.

On the 5th of December last year, we'd just been beaten 5-2 by Liverpool, and were sat in 18th place on 14 points.

So don't try and make out like we've been primed and ready to launch an assault on the European places, because it's just nonsense.
I didn't make that out though did I? So yes, you're being simplistic again; you can't actually address the point sensibly so you make a straw man argument to completely misrepresent what's being said.

I didn't make that out though did I? So yes, you're being simplistic again; you can't actually address the point sensibly so you make a straw man argument to completely misrepresent what's being said.

Bit precious aren't you? Time of the month or something?

I basically, or, err, simplistically, if you will, stated that the fact we've lost 3 games this season, is probably about what you'd expect from this squad. I feel that's a fair statement, so don't need to respond to all the other waffle.

You said, we finished 8th three seasons running and things weren't that bad. I pointed out that we finished on 54 and 49 points in the 2 seasons prior, and looked like a team heading for a relegation fight less than a year ago.

But whatever lad.

Carlo is the effin man and we'll lift silverware in his time here.

This really. I’m confident he can break the trophy drought. He knows how to navigate latter stages of tournaments. I’d back him to lay a few traps in a final if we ended up against a Chelsea or an Arsenal that could see us get past them. Martinez was probably the last manager we had with that streakiness in him (the problem was he was so rubbish the rest of the time it wasn’t worth it for his one off cup games). Koeman, Silva, or Allardyce never have me that feeling that they could engineer a cup run.

Bit precious aren't you? Time of the month or something?

I basically, or, err, simplistically, if you will, stated that the fact we've lost 3 games this season, is probably about what you'd expect from this squad. I feel that's a fair statement, so don't need to respond to all the other waffle.

You said, we finished 8th three seasons running and things weren't that bad. I pointed out that we finished on 54 and 49 points in the 2 seasons prior, and looked like a team heading for a relegation fight less than a year ago.

But whatever lad.
What are you even on about now? I agree with you that losing 3 games at this point of the season isn't particularly surprising, i've never said otherwise? All i said was that the idea that the manager can't do anything to make the team better and any loss (and therefore win, you'd have to assume) is solely down to the players is a very simplistic way of looking at things. I'm also saying that I didn't make out what you said I was making out. I'm not sure it's particularly precious to do that is it? We started last season badly, there's no argument there. But we sacked the manager because everybody knew the team was much better than it was showing. The 18th position was not an accurate reflection of the club's quality when Silva was sacked, as was shown very quickly by the turnaround in results under both Ferguson and Ancelotti. I mean it's hardly rocket science.

I'm not criticising Ancelotti here, i'm just pointing out that I think anything lower than 7th this season would be a disappointment, and I'm a little bit perplexed as to why some people seem to suggest it will take 4 years to rectify the fact we had a bad 3 months.

Time and perspective. Let's give Carlo the time, and allow ourselves the perspective.

We can't hold him to his past successes and allow him all the time in the world and a free reign, equally we just like we cannot blame him for years and years of poor recruitment and general management of our wonderful football club. We have a mash of players from the past four managers still here,all bought for different systems and different roles, picking a team is like putting a jigsaw together of parts that just don't quite fit.

He seems like a quality fella, and I'm sure once he gets his players, we will be a better side.

Do I think we will win anything during his tenure here? I think there's a better chance than there has been for the last 20 years.

Highly rated by Carlo.

His son Davide came through the youth system at Milan retired when he was 20 and has then been hired as a coach by his Dad's teams ever since.

As a fitness coach at PSG and Madrid and then as assistant manager at Bayern, Napoli and Everton.

He has two kids called Nepo and Tism.
What did Carlo do to you on a personal level, you really seem to have it in for him

Time and perspective. Let's give Carlo the time, and allow ourselves the perspective.

We can't hold him to his past successes and allow him all the time in the world and a free reign, equally we just like we cannot blame him for years and years of poor recruitment and general management of our wonderful football club. We have a mash of players from the past four managers still here,all bought for different systems and different roles, picking a team is like putting a jigsaw together of parts that just don't quite fit.

He seems like a quality fella, and I'm sure once he gets his players, we will be a better side.

Do I think we will win anything during his tenure here? I think there's a better chance than there has been for the last 20 years.
We have a manager who knows how to win trophies and some good players in the squad. Some awful ones too. Takes time to rebuild.

We all need to chill and see how it goes. I’ve been bashing my head off the wall as much as the next fan but the players have been turning in these awful performances for a number of managers. A lot of them need booting and it takes time when they are on inflated contracts and nobody will match their wages.

It takes time...

Ancelotti needs 3/4 years to evolve our team...

We need to be patient...
Why does every manager we have always need 3/4 years before we can judge? Other clubs don’t give their manager that long.

Football isn’t a game of ‘wait and see’. The expectation for him this season is to finish above no-marks like Wolves and Leicester to nab a European spot. We’re not even saying displace one of the ‘Sky 6’.

If he can’t get us 7th then he has failed.

I could be way off when I say this.. but he does give at least some air off that he can't really be bothered trying to 'polish the turd' that's representative of at least a small handful of the current senior squad.

If you'd allow me to use a technology term - it's as if he's identified the squad as still being in a 'beta' stage, hell maybe even alpha. But to be honest it's not like he hasn't being trying to temper short-term expectations on the regular either way, he knows we're still a (very) limited side..

This really. I’m confident he can break the trophy drought. He knows how to navigate latter stages of tournaments. I’d back him to lay a few traps in a final if we ended up against a Chelsea or an Arsenal that could see us get past them. Martinez was probably the last manager we had with that streakiness in him (the problem was he was so rubbish the rest of the time it wasn’t worth it for his one off cup games). Koeman, Silva, or Allardyce never have me that feeling that they could engineer a cup run.

I remember we were 3-2 up on aggregate in a semi final against City with 20 minutes left and he took Deulofeu off for Arouna Kone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back