2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not saying you're wrong, as that's how it appears.

Can any budding Stattos out there put up some mileage on them? OPTA or summat isn't it?

Jose calls it "lazy pressure".

That's the perfect description of how some of our players play. They do probably run quite a lot, but stop short of players to avoid having to make a challenge. A lot of wasted energy but no conviction to actually get in opponents faces.

You cannot argue with facts.
The facts are he still thinks Siggurdson is captain material and Pickford is a good keeper.
One transfer window is irrelevant, those two facts are a big worry
Carlo has to sort his mind out; or we are on our way to to a relegation dogfight which will mean that DCL, Richarlison, Digne and James will either leave or go missing.

We still have our Icelandic set piece master though so thankful for small mercies and all that.

That's the perfect description of how some of our players play. They do probably run quite a lot, but stop short of players to avoid having to make a challenge. A lot of wasted energy but no conviction to actually get in opponents faces.

This is exactly why it’s a big problem Sigurdsson being captain and seen as a leader, because he’s the king of this and it sends the message to the rest of the team that it’s ok to it.

If one thing has become clear since 2016, it's that you just know when a manager's time is up.

For Ancelotti, this will be at the end of his contract. Reputation and status mean as much in football as any other walk of life, and I'm certain that the DoF's head would roll long before the manager's in this case.

My worry is that Everton are wasting this opportunity by failing to manage the squad. People talk about it being impossible to shift the underperforming high earners, but the likes of Delph and Sigurdsson would have soon had their agents sorting out moves if they'd been ordered to see out their contracts training with the kids.

If the club wanted someone to make do and mend until these big deals expire in 2022, they should have hired according to this brief. As always, the situation is unworkable because the people 'running' the club don't know what they're doing.

I'll throw a curveball in to this though mate. What happens if the manager looks at both, and ultimately doesn't want to jettison them? He feels as squad options they are worthwhile and experienced?

These are the sort of grey area discussions that are difficult, and the sort of honest conversations I'm not sure we have at Everton.

I am completely on board with Ancelotti. I even think he's done a good job this season overall. If we finish top half, thats ok for me this season. Anything better is a great bonus, particularly if we can go deep in/win a cup. However no successful business just hands over the reigns to a manager and lets them have exactly what they want.

There needs to be a tension, between the manager and DOF, DOF and CEO etc. You just don't get that. In honesty I suspect Ancelotti answers directly to Usmanov, in the same way Moshiri does. The rest of the board answer to Moshiri. So he is in a priviledged position in that sense.

However in the background Brands is doing his thing but its difficult.

People need to get over the Sigurdsson captaincy thing. No one hates Sigurdsson more than me, no one, I’ve posted on here that I think he’s the worst player in Everton history and isn’t good enough for a Sunday league team. Carlo is an Italian though and they tend to give the captaincy to whoever has the highest number of games. It’s been handed around this season on exactly that basis with even Holgate picking it up at times.

His team selections say differently. He’s not in his first 11 if everyone is fit. We changed formation to 5 at the back rather than throwing him back in. He’s not even first sub off the bench if Gomes is playing ok. It was widely reported that a deal was being worked on to move Sigurdsson out. There’s rumours of new signings coming in who play in his position.

All that stuff does not point to a player Carlo values as the club captain. Rightly or wrongly captaincy is purely ceremonial for some Italian managers, it means nothing.

Aah, right then, back to the arl Mk1 eyeball assessment - yep some look lazy and unfit...but I think it maybe mental unfitness, aka, plain old can't be arsed.
Edit; but then again maybe they're just not good enough and or struggling for form.
Stats around running are indeed misleading. Like asking me to run 100M with Usain Bolt. I could do it, I’d have the evidence to prove it, But the analysis wouldn’t be pretty.

Great description, the frustration of players who do this is they seemingly have the ability to kid some fans and it causes friction.

Take Gomes for example... He's still dining out on his loan performances and post injury recovery. The only time he puts a boot in is due to petulant behaviour and gives away a foul, if he was as driven to win the ball for the team rather than tit for tat he would be far more effective.

People need to get over the Sigurdsson captaincy thing. No one hates Sigurdsson more than me, no one, I’ve posted on here that I think he’s the worst player in Everton history and isn’t good enough for a Sunday league team. Carlo is an Italian though and they tend to give the captaincy to whoever has the highest number of games. It’s been handed around this season on exactly that basis with even Holgate picking it up at times.

His team selections say differently. He’s not in his first 11 if everyone is fit. We changed formation to 5 at the back rather than throwing him back in. He’s not even first sub off the bench if Gomes is playing ok. It was widely reported that a deal was being worked on to move Sigurdsson out. There’s rumours of new signings coming in who play in his position.

All that stuff does not point to a player Carlo values as the club captain. Rightly or wrongly captaincy is purely ceremonial for some Italian managers, it means nothing.

Captaincy is an over-valued thing anyway I reckon. It only ever matters when a club actually win something, couldn't tell ya the captain of over half the teams in this league. That said I'd wager most are just whoever has been there longest.

Yeah I don’t think it carries much weight on the pitch tbh, plenty of times Baines (who is probably my favourite ever player) was given the armband, but he’s never struck me as the leader.

Probably because since 1999, these are his managerial terms: -

Juventus 1.8 years
Milan 7.6 years
Chelsea 2,5 years
PSG 1.5 years
Madrid 2.5 years
Bayern 2.5 years
Napoli 1.5 years

So in 7 jobs in the past 20 years, only 1 has been for more than 2.5 years, so Milan is very much the exception.

If he stays for 3 years, it would only be the second time he's done that since 1999.

I mean it's a very fair point, but the counter is going to be, what is the average time of managers in each of those clubs over the last 20 years as well. I would imagine you are looking at under 3 years per manager. So how much if a reflection of Ancelotti, and how much is a reflection of those clubs is open for debate.

The reality is, if you start the season like we have at those clubs, for the majority of them, you get sacked. So they don'tlend themselves to lonegevity.

This is a worthwhile point. It is a big thing in Engand but it's not really in Italy. I read the Italian team just have the guy with the most caps.

I actually think he quite likes Sigurdsson as well. You know what you are going to get from him and he probably trains well. What you get from him is very little, but he is aware of that.

He very nearly won us the game on Saturday and it was an excellent save from Pope. Like it or not, Allan, Doucoure, Davies etc would not have got into that position and sorted their feet out in the way he did. He actually did the hardest part.

I'm not fan of him either, but just because we can't stand someone, doesn't mean we should lose all balance on them. We were terrible against Leeds without Sigurdsson. He's poor, but so are a lot of the other players.

Team shape plays a big part in that though. A Mourinho team is extremely well drilled and team shape and compactness is everything. That means his teams make a lot of very high intensity sprints to try and win the ball.

At the moment a lot of our players runs are recovery runs tracking players or runs to fill in holes. We need to stop tinkering with formations and do more work on team shape on the training pitch. Get the shape right, and we won't run ourselves in to the ground after an hour.

When this carlo loves sigurdsson thing pops up i was wondering when someone was going to point out he doesnt actualy bleedin play him.
Just another day on GOT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back