Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Carlo gets no blame at all from me for the state of this crap squad. Or even for our subjugation by Leicester (apart from the score) who are not exactly Real Madrid. We all hope he will change things over the next 2 years.

Carlo gets no blame at all from me for the state of this crap squad. Or even for our subjugation by Leicester (apart from the score) who are not exactly Real Madrid. We all hope he will change things over the next 2 years.
I agree. In fact I’m surprised we’re doing as well as we are. This squad, improved from last year, still needs more work.

I don't agree with it being tactical masterclass to invite them over and shoot at our goal like it was a practice match for 20-30 mins of 2nd half. Not when you have a goalkeeper with short attention span at least.

First he showboats and touches the ball to a corner, instead of letting it go out for a goalkick, and then 10s later that howler.

Sitting deep with Pickford in goal is never a tactical masterclass, no matter how comfortable the rest of our team is with it.

On the other hand, it's not that we really have players on the bench to change the tempo and dynamic of the game. Sad thing is, after we conceded we almost put another 3 past them.

Overall, I'd call the tactics a necessity, not a masterpiece.

Can't wait for Duke in mid next game, and hopefully him pairing up with Allan ain't that far away.

Defending deep means that it is more difficult to ball get to danger areas on the attack. It stands to reason that we have more of the pitch cover when we are in possession. We don’t have a lot of pace / ball carriers to counter attack and break lines in the turn over of play.
Fact remains, The squad is work in in progress, and 1-1 is no bad result against. leicester

I don't agree with it being tactical masterclass to invite them over and shoot at our goal like it was a practice match for 20-30 mins of 2nd half. Not when you have a goalkeeper with short attention span at least.

First he showboats and touches the ball to a corner, instead of letting it go out for a goalkick, and then 10s later that howler.

Sitting deep with Pickford in goal is never a tactical masterclass, no matter how comfortable the rest of our team is with it.

On the other hand, it's not that we really have players on the bench to change the tempo and dynamic of the game. Sad thing is, after we conceded we almost put another 3 past them.

Overall, I'd call the tactics a necessity, not a masterpiece.

Can't wait for Duke in mid next game, and hopefully him pairing up with Allan ain't that far away.

this. The tactics were necessary because he knew we didn’t have the midfield. Whilst it might not be a masterpiece it *was* the right thing to do. It was just unfortunate that Pickford did what he did.

Otherwise leicester created very little by way of clear chances.

Olsen in goal and we’d have won the game (Gomes and DCL not spewing their chances and we’d have won anyway).

We set up in the best possible way given our midfield, frankly.

Saw on Reddit that we have now had 38 games, a whole seasons worth, with Ancelotti in charge

We've gotten 63 points in that time frame, enough for 5th last year and usually good enough for Europa

Of course it's not a perfect comparison but a clear sign of progress

This bodes well. Half of those games have been without any of his own players. He’s effectively walked in and taken a bottom half team and immediately boosted them to European contenders. Top manager.

If Pickford saves that - they would have kept piling on the pressure like the 20 minutes before that. Only when we went direct after the goal did we at least get up the pitch somewhat. We were better after the goal.
More like they settled for the point.

this. The tactics were necessary because he knew we didn’t have the midfield. Whilst it might not be a masterpiece it *was* the right thing to do. It was just unfortunate that Pickford did what he did.

Otherwise leicester created very little by way of clear chances.

Olsen in goal and we’d have won the game (Gomes and DCL not spewing their chances and we’d have won anyway).

We set up in the best possible way given our midfield, frankly.
You know, Pickford was just on the verge of looking like a solid, reliable gk. Imo, he did quite fine last 5-6 games. His adhd ain't kicking in as often as before, that's for sure.

Lets face it, he's not got us playing the beautiful togger we hoped (apart from you know who) but look at the blunt tools he has to work with. He's trying to create David with a sledgehammer! The results we're getting are a work of art in their own right (a banksy that's been puked on?)

SOME OF THE ANCELOTTI PRE MATCH NEWCASTLE P/C

Injury latest​

No Allan and Delph are not available for selection. Gbamin is also out the others are okay after Leicester. Delph has started to train again, we hope that Allan and Gbamin will be able to train with us next week

Pickford selection​

I’m not in the habit of giving the lineup during the press conference. Pickford didn’t play against Newcastle for normal rotation that I’m used to do because we have a lot of games. We play tomorrow and Wednesday.
We are going to have a lot of games, Jordan will be rotated like the others players. I don’t know if he’ll play tomorrow

Transfer latest​

Unfortunately I cannot say anything new about this.

Thoughts on Newcastle game​

I think it's an important game for both teams for different reasons. For us, it's really important because we have the possibility to go up the table & it can be a good motivation for the second part of the season

Champions League fight​

To play Champions League is a step forwards. For our players, this has to be strong motivation. We are in a good position, we know we have to fight for this. It doesn't mean we will be able to reach but we will fight for this.

James Rodriquez praise​

Of course James have to us more quality in front. He started really well, he had problems in the middle and now he is back again. He’s important like the others, we need the best from James, Richarlison, Calvert-Lewin, Iwobi is doing really well

More on Newcastle​

We have to pay attention to this game because every game in the Premier League is important and unpredictable. Newcastle are not in a good moment but it will be a difficult game as usual. I didn’t find easy games this season.

More on Pickford​

He did a mistake and I think we can say this but it doesn’t change for me and his teammates the confidence we have. He’s made fantastic saves in the past and been solid. Pickford was better in the last period than before. There is no doubting his quality

Goalkeeping options​

I think there is good competition there & the signing of Olsen helped him to be more motivated and also with less pressure

Bruce sympathy​

I have a lot of sympathy for Steve as a man. I like him as a man, his attitude. He is a good manager, he’s under pressure but who is not under pressure. We are under pressure all of the time, no news for this.

Carlo on Sigurdsson​

I think it is a great achievement to be able to reach 300 games, it’s fantastic he’s doing really well. I’m really pleased with him, he’s a fantastic player, fantastic professional and can play in different positions, He’s another captain in this squad for his attitude

Defensive record​

We are more focused defensively. We want to attack more but sometimes to defend when you have to defend is important. You have to read the situation

Carlo on Position in Table​

Honestly I am quite happy for the position of the table. I think it could be better, we lost some points we didn’t have to lose. Happy but I think we can improve. There is a lot of completion and unpredictable games. Every game is difficult

On consistency​

We have more consistency now defensively and it’s true most of the game we defended instead of attack. We want to attack more but to be able to defend well is important. One of the qualities of a team is to read the situations.

Carlo on Rodriguez​

I think it’s just a coincidence that he’s done better at Goodison Park. The fact we are playing without fans means it is a coincidence. The relationship with him is normal like the others. I don’t have a different relationship.

Attackers being helped more​

Of course when we have the defensive line deep, James, Calvert-Lewin, Richarlison has difficulty showing their quality, they are not defenders. We have to give them more opportunity to have the ball and use their quality

Leicester lessons​

The lesson I learnt is that we can compete with everyone in the Premier League. I don’t know if we can win every game but we can compete with everyone. Leicester are one of the most teams and we took four points off them

Carlo on set Piece's​

We score a lot of goals from set-pieces because we have fantastic headers, Yerry Mina, Calvert-Lewin, Michael Keane and good delivery, James and Gylfi Sigurdsson.

Simple, win every match and we win the league.

We really do need to be a lot more adventurous attacking wise. We don't have a striker that can create something from nothing so we need some balance between attack and defending.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back