Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really sure you can say ‘without pickfords mistake we win’ any more than you can say ‘without fofana’s mistake we lose’. It’s part of the game, the mistake came in no small part from the fact we were massively under the cosh for about 20 minutes and couldn’t get out of our own half. A point was a good result, the set up was justified, it’s fine. Let’s not make out like it was some sort of masterclass though, it was straight out of the ‘relegation battler against decent side’ playbook, we’ve seen it a thousand times before.
Encouraged how we came back into quite well when we changed our shape and brought Iwobi on though. Maybe if Iwobi had been fitter we might have done that a bit earlier in the game.

I think he nailed it. It was a great tactical performance. I can't remember them having even one clear chance. Yes, they had plenty of the ball but that's not the same as being dangerous. We, on the other hand, had 2-3 clear cut chances.

This makes Pickford's mistakes all the more frustrating. Carlo will be acutely aware that he can't depend on him. I'm almost certain that would have spelled his last chance at an Everton career. He'll be gone in the Summer.
Couldn’t agree more. Said it in the match thread, but last night was one howler away from being lauded as a perfectly executed game plan. A 1-0 win at home to a top 4 team with excellent away form, restricting them to pot shots from outside the area. They had so much of the ball but created nothing really clear cut. We scored a worldie but had 2 or 3 clear cut chances that we should have taken at the end as well. Effective football, if not super pretty.

Will be really interesting to see how ancelotti builds this team going forward. I understand the defensive tactics at the moment. With the injuries we’ve had and the midfield we’ve had to play recently.

but he talks about counter attacking and I don’t think we have the front 3 that suits counter attacking. James is not quick. And while people will tell us Richarlison & DCL are. How often do they run away from defenders over 30/40 yards in a foot race.

If that’s our first choice front 3 next season. Then we have to become a better possession based team.

so we can get higher up the pitch and you have James on the ball in dangerous areas, more crosses into box for DCL and Richarlison in and around the box a lot more, instead of him Getting the ball on half way line and trying to beat 3 players .
JR is dangerous in the transition phase, not because he is physically fast, but because he is extremely intelligent. Give the ball to him and he will play through anyone. The problem is that Richarlison and DCL are not good enough 1 vs. 1, and especially DCL does not have the confidence to seek out 1 vs. 1 situations.

So yes, agree. Both DCL and RIcharlison are the best in the opponent's penalty area, and are basically not a good match for teams based on counterattacks.

He will have us playing better football once he's got players in midfield he actually trusts no worries about that.

The issue is really of how often that will be until May?

Allow him to bring someone in, trust him.

Also people saying they can’t remember Leicester having clear cut chances but I remember a lot of heart in mouth moments and last ditch defending

Maddison could have scored but the ball hit Keane and deflected wide

Another player hit the ball at 90 mph towards goal and Mina managed to head it away

Then there were the 5 or so dangerous free kicks we conceded on the edge of our box

I always felt unnerved whenever Barnes ran at our Defence. My mantra was ‘please don’t do something stupid and give away a pen’ for the majority of the second half.

We also had some decent chances after Leicester equalised as well though.

I think he nailed it. It was a great tactical performance. I can't remember them having even one clear chance. Yes, they had plenty of the ball but that's not the same as being dangerous. We, on the other hand, had 2-3 clear cut chances.

This makes Pickford's mistakes all the more frustrating. Carlo will be acutely aware that he can't depend on him. I'm almost certain that would have spelled his last chance at an Everton career. He'll be gone in the Summer.

Which is why I said slightly wrong, I think he got a lot right like the 4CB lineup again. But I think the second half up to the goal we got our tactics wrong, we couldn’t get out of our own box and they were getting forward and trying to get into the box and shooting. I think this is probably time where you have to push up the pitch like we did after their goal. I don’t completely blame Pickford for the result, draw was fair but it was a bad mistake again.

This point could be invaluable come end of season however in order to justify this result we must beat newcastle

TBF we’ve got to absolutely massacre them, send a message out to the rest of league and humanity that what happened in the away game was a fluke. We should beat them so bad that they turn on the next two managers as well as Bruce.

I think he recognised that Leicester are a season ahead of Everton in their development and they are a better team than us. Ancelotti's gameplan reflected that. They showed first 15 minutes how much better than us they are and overall deserved to win.
If we'd have had Allan and The Duke in the middle we'd have beat them comfortably,Vardy or not. They wouldn't have got nearly as much joy through the middle as they did yesterday which was ultimately our downfall.

I'll sleep easy knowing we took 4 points off Rodgers this season.

All he has to do for me is address the lack of pace in the side.

That XI we put out last night was painfully slow. Digne, Keane, Mina, Coleman, Davies, Gomes, Holgate and James don't have two ounces of pace to rub together between them. Then Richarlison and DCL aren't exactly prime Mane themselves. Richarlison is getting pocketed by every half decently quick right back out there because they're simply too quick for him. The only genuinely rapid player we had out there was Godfrey, who was playing out of position and really only half the role of the player he was standing in for.

Doucoure remedies this to an extent, as he's an exceptional athlete, but we are too slow all over the pitch. If Doucoure gets a long term injury, we're done, which isn't really the mark of a good squad. We need a signing in midfield who can cover the kind of ground Doucoure does if we want to accommodate James and the rest of the slow players properly. Leicester embarrassingly overran us at times there.

We've solved a lot of problems over Ancelotti's tenure so far and I think if we solved this one, we'd be pretty much there. We're defending brilliantly and we're sensational at set pieces, we've hopefully a good striker sorted and we have creativity from James and Digne. We've a lot going for us thanks to Ancelotti.

The weird thing is if Spurs and Liverpool draw tomorrow then it’s actually been a very good set off fixtures for us. We’ve gained a point on United, Southampton and Villa, and maintained the gap to Chelsea Leicester (plus Spurs and Liverpool if they draw). It’s only really Arsenal who have cut the gap a bit and City who have pulled away.

Could actually be a good round of results for us considering we had no midfield and up against a very difficult fixture.

Here’s where Liverpool win tomorrow now to ruin all that.

We've had 2 fixtures against Leicester, who I think are one of the best sides in the league this year, and come away with 4 points. But for a Pickford howler, we take them all home. I think we're alright regardless tbh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back