Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
The next 2 fixtures are Leeds and Man U away. If we get anything above 2 points out of those games I’ll be very surprised. Happy but surprised.
If this season has taught me anything it's not to predict results or form. This season really is one of those where any team can beat another.

Most teams form is completely up and down. Think every team has had a really poor spell at some point. Even if it's only lasted 3-4 games in some cases. As well as teams having poor run's of form, teams have come out of those poor runs and put a number so wins together. 2-3 wins on the bounce is making a huge difference whether you are mid table or in CL contention.

Honestly if we aren't getting top 4 then I don't really care if we finish 5th or 17th or in between. I want us to play better so that making top 4 and winning things is a realistic goal again. So I guess the answer to your question is 4th. But I won't be too torn up if we don't get it so long as the football starts to suggest we might one day soon. Currently it isn't.
If you've been expecting this squad to get 4th this year then you're never going to be happy.

Koeman left in 2017. Trying to pretend his spending has somehow stopped us from spending is absurd.

Since Koeman left we have outspent everyone apart from City, United and Chelsea. Yet you are happy about competing for 5-7th place.
But it isn't. It is a fact.

He over spent and we havent recouped any of it besides Gana, Loomman and Vlasic.

The rest of those players he signed have sat on their big contracts and are leaving on frees. This has severely impacted our ability to cash in on players that aren't good enough and reinvest those funds in players that are.

We finished 4th in 2005 with a shoestring budget. If you look at the current table then the same manager is 3 places above us despite having a fraction of our budget.

The funny part is that you defend Carlo by saying do you want to finish 13th. Under Moyes with no money we finished 4th. Last season despite outspending 75% of the League we finished 12th.
You can't compare today to 15 years ago. So much has changed and there are many more competitive teams than just the top 4 we had in 2005.

Honestly if we aren't getting top 4 then I don't really care if we finish 5th or 17th or in between. I want us to play better so that making top 4 and winning things is a realistic goal again. So I guess the answer to your question is 4th. But I won't be too torn up if we don't get it so long as the football starts to suggest we might one day soon. Currently it isn't.

I cannot understand the logic behind that thinking.

Of course finishing 5th....or even 10th....is very different to finishing 17th and it really matters.

If for no better reason than we have to actually win more games in a season.

And speaking as someone whose general demeanour and outlook on life is very much coloured by what happens to Everton on matchdays that is very important to me.

Plus winning is better for my blood pressure....which must have been off the scale in the hours following that fiasco on Saturday :pint2:

I cannot understand the logic behind that thinking.

Of course finishing 5th....or even 10th....is very different to finishing 17th and it really matters.

If for no better reason than we have to actually win more games in a season.

And speaking as someone whose general demeanour and outlook on life is very much coloured by what happens to Everton on matchdays that is very important to me.

Plus winning is better for my blood pressure....which must have been off the scale in the hours following that fiasco on Saturday :pint2:
It would be really hard for us to finish 17th and be playing better football so reality is that would probably be a lot worse than 5th. But the point I'm trying to make is there is small benefit to the spaces below 4th so trying to win every game with no eye to the future only to not get into the top 4 isn't the soundest idea.

Focus on a top 10 finish and cup run.

Carlo might as well start planning for 21, who are his 1st 11 names on the teamsheet every week bar new players in the summer.

No point in throwing baby out with the bathwater here, but I do get your point.

I know alot of us want to see Everton in Europe next season, but the Europa would be a disaster for this squad at this time. Fingers crossed the clear-out continues and there is an addition if quality not good aul everton quantity again

I know alot of us want to see Everton in Europe next season, but the Europa would be a disaster for this squad at this time. Fingers crossed the clear-out continues and there is an addition if quality not good aul everton quantity again
Well that will happen to any team that gets into Europe because most teams that aren't in it don't keep a squad big enough for it as they don't need to.

Quicker we get into Europe the quicker we attract better players and build a better squad.

Building the squad without Europe just leads to overpaying players who aren't happy because there is no opportunity for for game time.

Well that will happen to any team that gets into Europe because most teams that aren't in it don't keep a squad big enough for it as they don't need to.

Quicker we get into Europe the quicker we attract better players and build a better squad.

Building the squad without Europe just leads to overpaying players who aren't happy because there is no opportunity for for game time.
it's a bit chicken and egg alright.

My take is clear out about 12 -14 of them, try to manage a proper squad next season and have a tilt at top 4 without Europa league. Stats and history show you that it is near on impossible for a club to kick-on when they are in the Europa, no matter how useful it is to attract new talent.

The problem is, there is added prestige that comes from playing in the Europa. It helps with sponsorships, it helps a lot with recruiting players, you bring in more TV and gate revenue etc. We also have to start getting used to the idea, we need to play 2 games per week.

We currently have;
Gibson, Kean, Brainthwaite, Simms out on loan. With the excetion of Gibson, all seem to be progressing well. So thats 4 more bodies. Nkounkou to get more time too.

We need to start playing in it, and treat it differently. Europa league, in additional to Carlo being here will open up more doors for us.

It would be really hard for us to finish 17th and be playing better football so reality is that would probably be a lot worse than 5th. But the point I'm trying to make is there is small benefit to the spaces below 4th so trying to win every game with no eye to the future only to not get into the top 4 isn't the soundest idea.

I still can’t see the logic, Iggy :(

I just want to see us win as many games as possible and if that gets us 5th place instead of any position below then so be it.

I still can’t see the logic, Iggy :(

I just want to see us win as many games as possible and if that gets us 5th place instead of any position below then so be it.
Basically I want us to win some trophies and I don't think we can just suddenly do it. I think it'll take a year or two of working toward it and so if I can see that happening I'm fine with a bit of struggle. We've gone backward the last 2 months imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back