2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s frustrating as I think we start some of these games really well looking really confident and it seems to only need one misplaced pass or misplaced chance and the confidence of some players drop completely, then they need to spend 20 minutes feeling their way back into the game. I still think we’re incredibly mentally fragile as a group. The first goal actually comes from Holgate showing an ounce of leadership by staying calm on the ball and passing it through the lines rather than just a panicked clearance. All of a sudden a few other players passed it and we had scored, then scored another one, but just at the point that confidence should have been at its highest we fumbled the next move and went straight back to cowering at the back again. Very very strange mentality to have. Once we were 3-2 down we started playing again. Bizarre. This game are definitely improving but there’s just no need for these lapses. It’s happened a few times, Southampton away we were on the back of a four game streak and started the game quite well, a few miscontrols by Iwobi in good positions and the whole team seemed to regress massively. Same in the West Ham home game, Docuoure started like a rolls Royce, flicks and spins, driving forward, looking like a player that had just won four in a row, but Siggurdson and a few others played a few sloppy balls and all of a sudden Docuoure looked scared to even pass forward and was falling over his own feet. United cup game at home Keane puts his first three passes out of play for no reason and it took us half an hour to get back to looking marginally better than a pub team.

I feel that Carlo is the only reason we don’t often completely fold like a lot of these players have been used to doing under Silva and Koeman. He’s slowly improving everything at the club but it’s difficult to turn around decades of a losing mentality.
Yup, it’s like a boxer learning how to hold and tie up his opponent when he’s hurt or tired. Not capitulating in our inevitable dodgy periods in games is something we haven’t seen in our teams in years. Carlo has made us a streetwise scrapper that can fight on the back foot

I think grabbing a point with the last kick of the game, away at a high flying and very good United side could prove to be a pivotal moment. An ending like that will have felt like a win to the lads, and to come back from looking dead and buried at HT will instill some genuine confidence.

Carlos game plan was obvious and he was quite right to say we weren’t brave enough on the ball first half. As we needed to be for that plan to work. Second half different story, some real graft, pride and some really decent togger. Feels like a defining moment to me, I hope I’m right.

I said it to my son at the end if the match, it could prove to be a massive point and it just keeps the momentum going as well.

Has an encyclopedic back catalogue of formations,systems and styles of play to draw from. Even today a lot of the "top managers" have just one system that they play and tend to stick to but this isn't the the case with Ancelotti.

Because they are faster and more creative than we are. Grealish is better than any of our players. Doesn't mean they'll finish ahead of us though, in their last couple of games they look like they're running out of steam, but we'll see.
They haven't had any injuries yet. That'll come and like Southampton they'll fall away

Because they are faster and more creative than we are. Grealish is better than any of our players. Doesn't mean they'll finish ahead of us though, in their last couple of games they look like they're running out of steam, but we'll see.
Their squad is paper thin. All of our best players have been out at some point.

Watch what happens to them when they lose that midfield trio of grealish, barkley and McGinn for a few games.

Carlo will by himself attract better players and a couple of things he said after the game was us being brave in our play and belief . which is something we have lacked probably since the 80s except for Roberto's first season especially away at the so called top six grounds

I’ve been very critical of a lot of our performances. We are still a tad too negative for me and make too many passes backwards, the obvious example being yesterday just after half time, which showed that when we go forward we can cause damage.
I still get the feeling it’s caution first, but I guess it’s a wily older manager using his experience and game management at times, it just doesn’t look that way sometimes, especially when we are so under the cosh.

However, he is exactly what we needed after 3 years of bad management and is definitely a firm hand on the tiller, steering us in exactly the right direction.

Already looking forward to year 2 and seeing who he brings in next. We have a decent nucleus of a side building.

Excellent week. Who would have thought 4 points from those two games against the media darlings of Leeds and Man U both "away"?
If Ferguson had kissed Carlo that would have capped it all. Imagine the fans going beserk in the 5th minute of extra time.

you should go have a scan of your posting history like I’ve just done. It’s quite impressive in the consistency of the bile you spew over every topic

you seem to absolutely despise every aspect of the club

I wouldn’t bother with something I hate so much. Life’s too short
Yet here you are commenting. lol

I don't even hate you but feel sorry for you. I don't need approval from the likes of you who cannot stand a difference of opinion. These last 5 years, this club has bottled every single aspect of football and keep on coming up with excuse after excuse after excuse. And its due to that mindset and repeated trend of mental fragility that I see every year.

There was a time when we did not have a squad or muscle to get in the market to compete with better teams. If 10 odd years ago we would have more than 500M to spend to develop a new squad we'd have laughed. One would have assumed if the Everton from 2000s could have 200M they would play on the front foot regularly. Yet here we are starting most games inferior to the opposition, struggling even in cup games for tempo, demotivated, unable to pass it forward, on the back foot for 70% of the game, hoofing it from kick off and lethargic until we concede a goal.

Its the mindset that this club lacks and yes it does frustrate me. You change the mindset, align your recruitment and policies with your core values and then you will see the difference.

If you are too sensitive to read my opinion, unfollow/block me. ;)

I’ve been very critical of a lot of our performances. We are still a tad too negative for me and make too many passes backwards, the obvious example being yesterday just after half time, which showed that when we go forward we can cause damage.
I still get the feeling it’s caution first, but I guess it’s a wily older manager using his experience and game management at times, it just doesn’t look that way sometimes, especially when we are so under the cosh.

However, he is exactly what we needed after 3 years of bad management and is definitely a firm hand on the tiller, steering us in exactly the right direction.

Already looking forward to year 2 and seeing who he brings in next. We have a decent nucleus of a side building.
The passing backwards thing was deffo not the manager. Richarlison in particular was making runs down the channel like he’d been told to. The ball just wasn’t played. Plus, Ancelotti was screaming at them to get forward.

Too many players not playing with belief rather than tactics.

The first time they did it (Davies) we scored.

It’s frustrating as I think we start some of these games really well looking really confident and it seems to only need one misplaced pass or misplaced chance and the confidence of some players drop completely, then they need to spend 20 minutes feeling their way back into the game. I still think we’re incredibly mentally fragile as a group. The first goal actually comes from Holgate showing an ounce of leadership by staying calm on the ball and passing it through the lines rather than just a panicked clearance. All of a sudden a few other players passed it and we had scored, then scored another one, but just at the point that confidence should have been at its highest we fumbled the next move and went straight back to cowering at the back again. Very very strange mentality to have. Once we were 3-2 down we started playing again. Bizarre. This game are definitely improving but there’s just no need for these lapses. It’s happened a few times, Southampton away we were on the back of a four game streak and started the game quite well, a few miscontrols by Iwobi in good positions and the whole team seemed to regress massively. Same in the West Ham home game, Docuoure started like a rolls Royce, flicks and spins, driving forward, looking like a player that had just won four in a row, but Siggurdson and a few others played a few sloppy balls and all of a sudden Docuoure looked scared to even pass forward and was falling over his own feet. United cup game at home Keane puts his first three passes out of play for no reason and it took us half an hour to get back to looking marginally better than a pub team.

I feel that Carlo is the only reason we don’t often completely fold like a lot of these players have been used to doing under Silva and Koeman. He’s slowly improving everything at the club but it’s difficult to turn around decades of a losing mentality.
tbh, aside from James & Allan, only time our squad came close to winning or consistency is when they'd flip open a dictionary and look for the word. They'll need a lot more time to shed that peasant mentality instilled in them by past managers.

We need some more winners (or champions as Italians would say) in the team. Too bad we didn't go for Mandžukić, just the sheer presence of the guy would make you think twice about not giving your very best every time you're on the pitch, regardless if he played or not. You need players like that, the ones that are not used to mediocrity as a standard of living.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back