2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
My target for Ancelotti this season was to get top 6 with him being allowed to drop as low as 8th if we win something and the outside target was achieving top 4. So far we are on for the top 6 we also still have a chance of both winning a trophy and finishing top 4. He has done a good job thus far, some of his experiments have failed and left me scratching my head but generally speaking he has got most things right. Hopefully we get 2 wins this week that will put his in QF of Cup and right on the shoulders of the big boys for 4th.

My target for Ancelotti this season was to get top 6 with him being allowed to drop as low as 8th if we win something and the outside target was achieving top 4. So far we are on for the top 6 we also still have a chance of both winning a trophy and finishing top 4. He has done a good job thus far, some of his experiments have failed and left me scratching my head but generally speaking he has got most things right. Hopefully we get 2 wins this week that will put his in QF of Cup and right on the shoulders of the big boys for 4th.
Not quite sure where you get that target from? We have a worse squad than the rs,City, Man Utd,Spurs, Chelsea, Leicester and Arsenal. Our squad is on a similar level to Wolves, West Ham, Aston Villa, Southampton and Palace. Therefore 8th would be"winning our league" before the season started. With Arsenal having a poor season ,7th is now that target. Top 6 would be overachieving, and top 4 would be Dreamland with this squad of players.

Not quite sure where you get that target from? We have a worse squad than the rs,City, Man Utd,Spurs, Chelsea, Leicester and Arsenal. Our squad is on a similar level to Wolves, West Ham, Aston Villa, Southampton and Palace. Therefore 8th would be"winning our league" before the season started. With Arsenal having a poor season ,7th is now that target. Top 6 would be overachieving, and top 4 would be Dreamland with this squad of players.

We have a world class manager and he seems to be able to make up for our weaker squad. I also think we aren't that far behind most of them teams so I believe its possible. I'm an optimistic fan it has kicked me in the teeth more times than I care to remember but I will always believe in the team. Our first 11 is very good if we can keep a minimum of 9 of them starting between now and the end of the season I genuinely believe we will get top 4. This manager has the potential of taking us to the next level just like Howard Kendall did in the 80s. I understand what you are saying and do agree to an extent but until something is impossible you will never stop me believing.

I agree top 6 is a very harsh target but same squad as palace? Southampton? Even wolves and west ham?

We have got a better squad than all of those ( we have had a lot of injuries to key players tbf though )

The passing backwards thing was deffo not the manager. Richarlison in particular was making runs down the channel like he’d been told to. The ball just wasn’t played. Plus, Ancelotti was screaming at them to get forward.

Too many players not playing with belief rather than tactics.

The first time they did it (Davies) we scored.

The manager and Calvert Lewin both said they changed systems 5 minutes into the second half. So although the players did seem to be dropping their heads a change in system brought about two goals in the space of a few minutes. So the set up in the first half in particularly after 10 minutes was dead really. It’s ok to criticise when things aren’t looking great, I say that as one of his biggest supporters. Him changing the system, changed the game. That’s why he’s a great manager.

The manager and Calvert Lewin both said they changed systems 5 minutes into the second half. So although the players did seem to be dropping their heads a change in system brought about two goals in the space of a few minutes. So the set up in the first half in particularly after 10 minutes was dead really. It’s ok to criticise when things aren’t looking great, I say that as one of his biggest supporters. Him changing the system, changed the game. That’s why he’s a great manager.
Oh I totally agree. I think his pragmatism is his best attribute.

But my point still stands. It was clear that the players weren’t executing what was asked of them in the first half for one reason or another. It was clear they were expecting to pass forward and that they weren’t.

That might have been the catalyst for the change but as soon as they did actually pass forward (3-4 mins into the first half), we scored.

Well the club has been quite clear that Europe is the target, and that means aiming for top 6, so I think it's a logical target. You don't appoint Ancelotti and spend your budget on expensive 29 year olds with no sell on value to finish 8th. Whether the squad is as good as some others is kind of irrelevant really, if we're not aiming to outperform those teams in the short term then we've made some very strange decisions.

Well the club has been quite clear that Europe is the target, and that means aiming for top 6, so I think it's a logical target. You don't appoint Ancelotti and spend your budget on expensive 29 year olds with no sell on value to finish 8th. Whether the squad is as good as some others is kind of irrelevant really, if we're not aiming to outperform those teams in the short term then we've made some very strange decisions.
don't think we spent much money at all, €60mil on 4 players, with James taking a pay cut to join. And they all delivered. Think we hit a closest thing to home run that we could during summer, at least compared to previous transfer windows.

The passing backwards thing was deffo not the manager. Richarlison in particular was making runs down the channel like he’d been told to. The ball just wasn’t played. Plus, Ancelotti was screaming at them to get forward.

Too many players not playing with belief rather than tactics.

The first time they did it (Davies) we scored.

Yep there were a couple of times you could see Ancelotti fuming on the line because Richarlison had made runs and he was just ignored. Even James had a chance to play a ball over the top for Richarlison but for some reason he turned and played the ball backwards.

Yep there were a couple of times you could see Ancelotti fuming on the line because Richarlison had made runs and he was just ignored. Even James had a chance to play a ball over the top for Richarlison but for some reason he turned and played the ball backwards.
Wondering if the players have no confidence in Richy at the moment. To be fair when he was being fed he was absolutely diabolical and either fell over or ran into trouble.

must've misunderstood you then
Yep. My point was that I think the summer window dealings were done with a view to achieving our target of European football this season. With that target in mind, the business was very good. If you don't believe that was the target, then I think the business looks less good, because if our plan was for the longer term then I don't think the signings we made really fit into that. As an aside I don't think we can really say James was free and took a paycut. I think we've got him for 'free' from Real, but paid him the rest of the wages he would have received from them in a lump sum.

So for James is it a case of once Everton has touched you ...

Joking apart, I am still happy with Ancelotti for the most part. The squad is wafer thin once the top players are out due to injury or suspension, and there are a couple of trouble positions that need to be reinforced such as right back and goal keeper, but the manager is able to deal with this and pick up points which I am not sure previous managers would have done.

I didn't expect him to win the league (except for some day dreaming after those first few games of the season where we were on absolute fire) but for the most part I can see progress, and a desire to perform in all matches with a notable few exceptions (Newcastlse?!?) but he has them back up after those exceptions which is vast progress over previous seasons.

He's still got my support and I fully back him to keep getting things more and more right, the longer he is here. Wish we had got him in after Martinez.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back